Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Water takeoffs

Pro Member Trainee
gator2 Trainee

I am new to FS2004 - How do you setup for water takeoffs and landings. Shocked

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

First, you have to have the Cessna caravan Amphibian. THere's some water airports, but good luck finding them. All you have to do is take off, rause the gear, and land in the water. Its just like on land, except that you flair a bit more to keep the front ends of the floats out of the water. When you land, you can use SHIFT+W for water Rudders to steer, when you want to take off, SHIFT+W again, then full power. Flaps should be at i think 2 notches (Hit F7 2x) then just go like a normal takeoff.

Pro Member Trainee
gator2 Trainee

Thanks, I couldn't find a way to put the airplane in the water! I will look for the water airports. I like to fly out of Key West Florida but couldn't find a way to place the plane in the water.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

no problem. Others may tell you to "slew" out there, that works, but you can also start in a airport, go to the map screen, and drag the little aircraft icon out to sea.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

My all-time favorite water airport is New York Seaports Inc. In NYC.

Guest Ed Guest

Just to add a little to what FEM said, you don't really need a "water airport" to land; any old lake, river, or ocean will do. When you start your takeoff, pull the stick all the way back to keep the nose of the floats out of the water until you get up to 40 or 50 knots, then ease forward so you're pretty level-- that way when you do leave the water, you won't fly straight up and stall (learned that the hard way Wink )! When you land, you want to be as slow as possible, so go to full flaps on your final approach. When you touch down, let the speed decay to where you won't take off again, then pull the stick all the way back again to keep the floats from diving into the water. It may help to hit "W" and make the cockpit disappear when you're doing your first few landings.

If you take off from land, don't forget to RAISE the landing gear before you land on water.

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
gator2 Trainee

Thanks everyone for your help.. I brought up the map as suggested and it works perfectly.. Many Thanks! Laughing