Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Frame Rates

Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

What exactly does increasing or decreasing the frame rates do in regard to FS2004? Which setting most closely matches real time? Question Question

Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

I think I answered my own question by reading other posts on the subject. I don't know which is more complicated, learning to fly or using this doggone computer Geek Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Guest Ed Guest

I've often wondered about this myself-- I've seen posts where people talk about frame rates around 30 or 40-- I wonder why that is needed. Back when I was a young Guest Ed, I took a film appreciation class and learned that the standard frame rate for motion pictures is 24 FPS. At that rate, your "persistence of vision" gives you the illusion of continuous motion, instead of individual frames. So I set FS09 to lock at 24 FPS, and most of the time it looks pretty smooth.

So what's the advantage of getting 30 or 40 FPS, ifyou can't see it?

Ed

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

A lot of people disagree with me, but I prefer lower frame rates! My eyes feel far more comfortable when the framrates are between 14-24 fps. The few times i've had it up to 30-40 have actually hurt my eyes/sense of reality!

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

But surely if you set it to like 60fps or even unlimited then the PC will work as hard as it can to get the frame rates up???

How does it work? Smile

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Rafi has it right as usual.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1089/frame-rate-settings/#4308

Cap it at about 30-35 so all the other "power" of the computer and video card will be used for the rest of the sim.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Hmm... it's rare I get over 15 when landing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I usually get 10-30 frame rates. Sometimes, I get higher than that.
I can live with that, but I want to have better frame rates.

If you have a high frame rates, then you have a nice performance and nice graphics.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

If you are happy with the picture you view and you can still fly,then youve hit the sweet spot

Guest Ed is right about the 24fps for films and horrgakx is spot on about your PC working harder to produce higher frame rates

FS9 uses everything your PC has,so the more youve got,the more you get(more is good in the world of fs9)

Be realistic, if youve not got the best in the PC world, then dont expect everything
Sure start with all the sliders up to max,but be prepaired to lower them.Do each of them one at a time and check with the frame rate counter until you get the trade off
Fs9 is a trade off between graphics and playability(remember, you cant make a silk purse out of a pigs ear)

Also what and where are you going to fly.If its the big stuff in and out of international airports do your testing there and set your sliders lower and dont forget the traffic slider(more traffic=more pain on slower systems)

If you are only flying the small stuff in and out of small airfields then you can afford to push them up a bit

If your a bush pilot,cut all other traffic

Finally whether youve just loaded fs9 for the 1st time or the 100 time,an hour spent tweaking the sliders will pay off(I know its borring but it will pay off)

Oops! Ive gone on a bit,this is the last point.FS9 is a flight simulation game.Its meant to be enjoyed and if you like chugging along at 10fps counting trees as you land,thats fine,but just try tweaking the sliders,you may find you like the result

Oh originalgrunge check your monitor refresh rate as that may help with the eyes

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Lol, everyone's talking about this, and It seems like you all have a good idea of what to do. I dont know, but the 24 FPS thing doesn't seem to look real to me. I tried it, It brought me back to when I had a FX5200 vid. card. I think that the higher frame rates you go, the better it looks. Right now, as I watch my Live Aus Berlin DVD for the 5th time, I see that the frame rate is over 30. It looks stunning like this, and if i cap it at 30, it looks like crap. So I don't know. I just leave mine at 80.

Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

How do you know how many frame rates your running at any particular time Question Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

When you are flying, press SHIFT + Z (twice I think) and it should have a FPS number appear at the top left hand corner of the screen.

Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

Thanks 99jolegg Exclamation Very Happy I was in London in April 2004. Really enjoyed the visit. Can't wait to go back someday and see more of England, Scotland. Ireland, Wales Smile

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Talking of frame rates, I installed 737NG last night. It nearly KILLED my PC!!!

Frame rates were about 3fps and the loading delays reached 10 minutes while the aircraft sat on the runway and it attempted to load all the graphics.

I've got; a P1700+,
512Mb DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I really don't know what is your "case" but I can tell u about some of my "head ache" I have a P-2800 with 756 Mg memory and ATI 9600xt video card (which is lower than yours). I am quiet happy with that and achieving 24-28 fps on Seattle International 36R runway . But from time to time after selecting and down loading a flight my frame rate is... 2-3 FPS. Exiting the simulator and reloading again and some times is coming back and some times not. If not I am going to display panel ->setting->advanced and changing some thing on the driver setting Apply ->OK and changing back and it is a miracle: after loading the simulator I am back to my freadly frame rate. Lately I added Citation X A/C which is quiet a havy one and there is not a big frame rate drop. Isn't is a wonderful word? Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Horrgakx, I have the same problem with the 737NG. The airplane skips up the runway and something pathetic like 1 FPS !!!!! ROFL Then we level out and have something (also pathetic) like 10-15 FPS. That combined with the fact that I can't even fly the plane properly means I don't bother with it! Very Happy

jeffrey1119 Guest

all the time i get about 60 to 70 fps and once i got 90 before it was CRAZY.

i have 2 gigs of ddr2 ram of i get a outher 2 gigs of ram will the frame rates be better??

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

90 FPS?????

Were you flying in the middle of a desert in a glider??

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

kianok wrote:

90 FPS?????

Were you flying in the middle of a desert in a glider??

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have 3GB of ram but i have never notice 90.(I admit that i check frame rates barely,because i like what i see..numbers are numbers...)

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Kianok - sorry for the thread hijack here, but about your sig. picture, it looks Photoshopped. Please tell me it is! Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You'll find it at airliners.net exactly the way you see it.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

As Mr Tailhook said, it's from Airliners.net and it is 100 % real Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Sorry for butting in Kianok, I thought you'd signed off. Blush

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Thats ok Tailhook Thumbs Up!