General consensus on "the best slight sim PC"??

Pro Member Trainee
fullerton1992 Trainee

Hello everyone at Fly Away,

Ive searched the forum and almost burnt out the search function to try and find an answer to my following question.
From the forum I see that there are several posts and threads regarding"the best system for running FSX"

Ive also been doing my research outside the forum aswell but cant get a grasp on if there is one single general consensus on what components are the best, as we are all after the same thing right?

I want to build (or at the very least have it built for me) a computer dedicated to my flight sim.

I have found the following website but as modern day pc components move at such a quick rate im not sure if this is ouot of date and better components have come out since then....http://jetlinesystems.com/performance.php

I have also found a quick guide on another forum, would we all agree this guy is correct and his advice should be stuck to...http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/topic/201175-general-guide-to-building-a-pc-for-flight-simulator-x/

or alternativly is there a website that can offer the best pre build flight sim dedicated computer without all this hassle?

I hope anyone can help point me in the right direction as my mind is abit full of different viewpoints at the moment.

Many thanks in advance,
F92

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The second link is 2 years old so is not relevant.

You are saying (between the lines) that cost is no object.

Get the latest and most powerful Intel CPU. Patches SP1 and SP2 added the ability of FSX to use all cores.
The best way to add them is to buy FSX gold or the Deluxe version along with the Acceleration Pack,
SP1 and SP2 are built into the Acceleration Pack so when you load it they are automatically integrated into the Sim.

Get a 1000-1200w power supply, name brand only.
You will need it to handle all what's plugged into your MOBO and also for all the peripherals that are plugged into the machine for both the sim and everyday use.

Get a minimum of 12-16gigs ram.

Get the most powerful video card, one will do. The ability of SLI and (or) Crossfire wasn't configured into FSX.

A good name brand H/D (7200rpm) will do just fine depending on how
much you plan on loading onto it.

Good luck and let us know what and how you do.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
fullerton1992 Trainee

Brilliant thanks for the reply.

Well price isnt no object, Im not a millionair but i am willing to spend a good chunk of money dedicated just to my FS.

So would i be correct in saying that any (say nVidia) GPU with a larger number is automatically better, it is logical but i just would have thought some lower product numbered GPUs may have better specs for specific applications? Or am i just completely on the wrong track?

Is downloading the SP1+2 packs from the home site not as effective as buying the Acceleration pack then, what does that offer that the previous doesnt?

RAM check...DDR3 i assume is the best?
HDD check
PSU check

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

fullerton1992 wrote:

Brilliant thanks for the reply.

Well price isnt no object, Im not a millionair but i am willing to spend a good chunk of money dedicated just to my FS.

So would i be correct in saying that any (say nVidia) GPU with a larger number is automatically better, it is logical but i just would have thought some lower product numbered GPUs may have better specs for specific applications? Or am i just completely on the wrong track?

Is downloading the SP1+2 packs from the home site not as effective as buying the Acceleration pack then, what does that offer that the previous doesnt?

RAM check...DDR3 i assume is the best?
HDD check
PSU check

Yes you can handle FSX beautifully with a lower (not much) CPU but if your going to spend all that $ think about the future.

A 2gig video card (the best of the lot) will suffice and be much cheaper than the latest 3gig ones.

Anyone who loads SP1 and SP2 separately into the Sim seems to come on the forum complaining.
No one complains about them if they us the Acceleration Pack, $ well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Yes DDR3, the latest will be the best, DDR2 has been around for a long time.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
fullerton1992 Trainee

intel core i7 overclocked seems to be the best option?

So as of yet, if I went for a system containing:

Acceleration pack

16GB DDR3 RAM

2GB nVidia single GPU

1000w -12000w PSU

7200rpm samsung

any advice on cooling or mothervoards?

Your really helping me out here alot, thank you.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Great magazine, been getting it for a few years.
Just check this out for reference sake.
The chip is fairly cheap compared to $1,200US Haswells (top of line right now).

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/article/15435/intel-core-i7-4790k

If I chose this chip I would go with an Asus board, my opinion only and I have never built a machine..

http://processormatch.intel.com/MotherBoards/CompatibleBoards?componentName=i7-4790K

As you see, feed any chip into Intel's site and they will give you a choice of MOBO's...very handy.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

Acceleration Pack has nothing to do with your proposed system, it is the software that comes with FSX Gold and includes some new aircraft and missions.
FSXGold is very cheap to buy in the game shops these days. It contains sp1 sp2 and runs well on any half decent modern machine. You don't have to go over the top.

Pro Member Trainee
fullerton1992 Trainee

I have now bought and installed FSX acceleration pack and although it did nothing to my performance (not that i expected it would), it has done wonders in getting rid of a few bugs i had.

Cheers!! 👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...