Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

CH USB Flight Sim Yoke - UNDECIDED ?

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

I've often wondered why more serious simmers, like us poor inflicted folk on this site, don't invest in a Flight Yoke, and instead continue with a Joystick.

Now the most obvious constraint is of course the financials and I acknowledge that up front - these things aren't cheap and to a lot of people would take some saving for.... Of course there's always that evil Credit Card burning a hole in yer wallet !

Well anyhow - I, like a lot of people have remained unsure and I guess a little sceptical..... Is a Flight Sim yoke the final frontier that makes me a geek ? Will it look silly in my room ? For whatever reason, I've been flight simming for a long time, perfectly happy with a Joystick.

Now I'm not saying that simming with a Joystick isn't realistic because it can be - if you own an Airbus in your add-on collection then a Joystick is going to be more realistic than a yoke. Similarly if you like combat flying, a joystick will probably be better.

Anyway as you can probably gather, my CH Flight Yoke arrived today - so what's the verdict, for others who have remained unsure on whether it's worth the bucks ?

Well it has totally blown me away. I would say that the realism factor is magnified by 20, and that wouldn't be an exageration. The control of the aircraft is very very different to that with a Joystick. It is so different that in some repects it's a little like starting from scratch again!

The CH Yoke is a fab model.... it needs NO installing for XP (plug it in and it works, it can be calibrated but mine was correctly aligned before calibrating). It has dedicated buttons for TRIM, GEAR, FLAPS, RUDDER TRIM, VIEWS, etc, etc, and of course has Throttle, Prop, and Mixture levers.

For those that mainly fly Jets, there is the "LE" Model which has just a single Throttle lever (no prop or mixture levers), but is otherwise identical to the full model. it is around 17 ($25) less expensive than the full model.

It really does make you feel like are flying a "real" simulator.... I mean I spent 2 hours flying the default Cessna 172.... a plane I've not flown for about 6 months but with the yoke it's not so much WHAT your flying but the actual flying itself. It's so pleasurable to manouvre the plane around in the sky.

So for those who are still undecided, hear are some final bullets :-

- I paid 146 euros (about 120 / $160) from Simw.com for mine... seems expensive and not everyone will be lucky enough to get one without some serious saving but when you are in a position to pick one up, you won't get the SMILE off your face for hours.

- Flying seems easier at first, but certain aspects take a lot of getting used to as it IS very different to Joystick flying.

- Take Off feels hugely more realistic.

- Approach & Landing: Not easier but you feel you can make Control Surface changes so much faster than with the Joystcik

- Access to the TRIM button on the top is FAB.

- Rudder control and taxiing needs to be considered unless you are also lucky enough to have the CH Rudder pedals (I don't.......yet).

...... to sum up.... GET ONE WHENEVER YOU CAN.... !

Sell your car, sell you Hi-fi, sell your Sofa, sell your wife, just GET ONE !

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I know someone who lives not too far away from me....he just got one, next time he leaves the house.........! Wink
You will be taking it to work now!
I think it would be an excellent addition to the sim as you have pointed out. In order to make FS even more real rudder pedals and yoke are a must....although I have neither....but I am poor. A friend of mine who I trained with has "Elite" combined with radio stack, control column like out of a 737, he thinks it is truly amazing. There is no harm in using a joystick but if going for the "real deal" I think it's a worthwhile investment.

Now a question for you. Did you ever find a good 757 with proper panel etc. I had one in FS2000 (AA) It was excellent but I would like one for FS9. Downloaded one but it appears to use the 777 panel.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,
Go to www.deltava.org . They have the aircraft and a good panel, it comes with a Failure panel, that is different to the one in the Options. You have to sign up and take a stupid test with stupid questions but you'll pass it easily. If not I have the answers. They are buttholes there, so just sign up, nick all the aircraft and panels, and be on your way Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

99Jolegg, you and I share the same opinion on www.deltava.org!

Do what he said, grab and run...good things do NOT come to those who wait.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Ooooh will I feel guilty! Should I wear a disguise?

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Just did the exam...I hope I passed or I will be Embarassed Thoughts of being back at school spring to mind.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I got 60% and passed, I asked FEM for some questions and used Google for the rest. Hahahaha. U'll pass, your clever Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

i should've just given u my ID.

I dont care any more.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

I've often wondered why more serious simmers, like us poor inflicted folk on this site, don't invest in a Flight Yoke, and instead continue with a Joystick.

For most of the aircraft in FS2004 I find the yoke much more realistic. The one I have is old. I bought it when I had the DOS
version of flight sim back when Windows 3.1 was still king. It isn't USB of course. I don't have the rudder pedals for it and
that does take away some of the fun with it. XP picks it up with no problems.

Except for one reason I would have a new CH yoke and Rudder pedals. Money.

Enjoy, you have the best IMO for the flight sim.

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

One is using the yoke and the pedals I still belive it is a different worg compare to a joy stick for commercial planes. Just one thing how you people at UK paying such an amount. The item U both for 160$ in Amazon is 99$ :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056SPM/102-7563384-1922517?v=glance
I am so sorry I am not from the state I would do every thing to save to a fellow 60 $ upon 160. Tell me :do U have to pay tax on computer items?

Pro Member Captain

Sorry for the delay PH - Right, better get that Yoke under lock and key !

If I see a van heading south down the A19 with a yoke sticking out of the back you'll be chief suspect !

No..... I didn't manage to get a good 757 yet. The weak links in my FS Hangar are now the 757, 767 and 777 ..... for most other types of big commercial jets I have really good add-ons. I downloaded a 767 from this site but was v. disappointed with it. I have to admit I am completely spoiled now when it comes to Aircraft. If it doesn't have a decent FMC (like the A320 you sent me, or the 737NG), then it doesn't get a look in - unless it's a classic like Legendary 727, which may not have a FMC but has other goodies to make up for it. I have to say the Exterior models of the some of the freeware out there are EXCELLENT... often on a par with CD-ROM Payware..... but the panels usually let things down, as everything seems more or less based on the default panels.

So will have to take a look at this DeltaVa site and see if I can pass the test too !

The Yoke is phenomenal..... flying is so much fun - but I still enjoy flying the Airbus with the Joystick... took the A319 (Lufthansa) out for a spin this morning and used the Joystick.... I have a little "side table" on the left of my main PC unit, so have put the Joystick there - it's location is very Airbus ! Never imagined my set-up would look or perform this good, so a very chuffed, lucky boy right now !

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Rafi wrote:

I am so sorry I am not from the state I would do every thing to save to a fellow 60 $ upon 160. Tell me :do U have to pay tax on computer items?

If you do it's only about 8% depending wich state you live in, not bad at all and shipping is free.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

Hi Rafi,

Most computer (and Flight Sim) items are approximately the same cost in Europe as they are in the US.

However CH Products (who make the Yoke, and Pedals) are based in the US and also the goods are emblazened with "MADE IN THE USA" so getting them over to Europe costs more.