Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Been Away a while

sonicninja
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 pm 

Hi guys, i've been away from the flight sim world for the last few years serving overseas in the military mainly so i'm out of touch with whats new.

I've been trawling through the forums to try and catch up and its great to see that the flight sim community is still as strong as ever.

I have decided to treat myself to a new system now primarily to run FSX and the many addons I intend to purchase over the next few weeks. My budget is 500(ish).

Reading alot in the forums it would seem that CPU is of the key here followed by Graphics and memory so im looking for optimum balance for my money, my new system will only be used for flight simming, I have quite a few Saitek hardware bits also.

This system appeals to me at the moment,

Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Dual Core Processor overclocked to up to 4.3GHz
Akasa Nero 3 CPU Cooler
Asus B85M-G Motherboard with USB 3.0
8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 Memory (runs at 1333MHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 1GB Graphics Card
1000GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk
24 x DVD-RW Drive
500watt 80+ Aerocool PSU
Onboard High Definition Audio
Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM 450

If anyone knows of any better deals out there please send me a link.

Very Happy
sonicninja
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:08 pm 

Decided I will probobly go with this as my new rig:-

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit
Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-Express Sound Card with built in Headphone
Asus GeForce GTX 760
Samsung 120GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s x 2
BitFenix Outlaw Gaming Case
BenQ GW2760HM 27" Widescreen LED Professional Slim Bezel Monitor -

Any thoughts or opinions?
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:56 pm 

Looks good.
Nice video card.
I hope you have about 6-8 gigs ram.

Radar

sonicninja
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:19 pm 

i went for 8gb mate the only thing this system will be running FSX wont be used for anything else, been a while since i was flight simming so looking forward to getting back in the air Laughing
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:47 pm 

Good, glad you will have 8gigs.
Have fun, it's a nice setup.

Radar

ArranFlights
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:55 am 

Hi - you don't mention the motherboard you're going for. From what I've read, you'll need to use a mobo with either the Z97 or Z87 chipset from Intel to be able to use the full facilities of the i7 and to overclock the RAM. As far as I gather, the main difference between the i5 and the i7 is the number of hyperthreads the processor offers to the operating system - and I don't know how FSX uses these.

I can't afford an i7, so I got a system on offer from Scan with an i5, a Gigabyte Z98 mobo, 8Gb 2133 ram, and a case, 1Tb Seagate drive, and 450W Corsair PSU thrown in for 299. Still to put it together, but I'm looking forward to what it will do!

It will replace a system with AMD quad-core at 4.2 GHz, 8 gig of RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 650 Ti Boost video card. Running FSX sp2 with additional VFR Photographic scenery the system went to 100% on all 4 cores, with the graphics card barely going up to 35%. The scenery was slow in updating, with distant objects still only 'sketched in' but good detail on close-up objects - almost as good as a Google Earth flyby.

My conclusion from the balance of processing usage is that the CPU isn't supplying updates quickly enough to keep the graphics card busy - so FSX needs a really quick CPU!

I'm putting the system together today or tomorrow - I'll let you know how it goes.

Scan have a different deal on today - better than mine in some ways, although the memory is slower: this is a link to the deal - http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.aspx#1

Good luck to you - let us know how it goes.

To paraphrase Dave Allen - may your God fly with you!

Because these deals change daily, here is the spec of 'todays' deal:

2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 3 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms OEM NCQ
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
Corsair 450W VS PSU 80+ White
Intel Core i5 4690K S1150, Haswell, 4 Core, 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 5 GT/s DMI, 1.2GHz GPU, 34x Ratio, 84W, Retail
MSI Z97-G45 GAMING Intel Z97, S1150, DDR3, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 2 Way SLi / 3 Way CrossFireX, D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI, ATX
NZXT Source 220 Black Mid Tower Case with Side Window & 2x120mm Quiet Clear Blue LED Fans w/o PSU
sonicninja
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:00 pm 

sorry i forgot to mention it comes with a Intel Z97 Chipset, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz.

Im waiting for the system to come from overclockers, ill make my reports once i get it up and running Very Happy
Rinette

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 pm 

Dear Douglas,Thank you for your feedback. I think I know the prolebm you are talking about. It is a low memory condition that I did not deal with correctly in the code (known bug).I think I solved this already in the version of the code I will be releasing soon. However, you should be able to fix the prolebm (quick fix, it might happen again with version 1.1).Not sure exactly what you tried to solve the issue, but these steps should work:- Press your home button for some time untill your application icons start to shiver and a cross appears on all of them.- Press the cross on the AviMapGPS icon, which should uninstall the application from your iPad.- Then connect the iPad to your computer, and re-install the app using iTunes.I believe this should get your prolebm fixed. (was this exactly what you tried?)Other steps you can take if this does not work are:- Shut down your iPad by pressing the sleep button for several seconds until a shutdown dialogue comes up on the screen.- Slide the bar to shut down the iPad, and then turn it on again.If this is the error i think it is, by shutting down the application you will be able to recover from this prolebm.For further reference: when you press the home button on any iOS device, with the newer versions of the operating system (iOS 4 and such), you are not really shutting down any application. The applications continue to run in the background. That is why when you click the icon of an app again, they will turn on much faster on the second time. This also means that you will have a lot of apps running in the background, which might be memory consuming, and can actually drain the battery of your device faster. To see (and stop) any background running applications:- Press twice on the home button quickly. This will show you the currently running apps bar.- press and hold anywhere on this bar. After a while the apps on the bar will start shivering and a sign will appear. If you press this sign on any of the apps, they will be shut down (they will not be removed from your device though).I hope this solves your prolebm, and I hope the new release that is due soon wont present this prolebm any more. If you need any further assistance, leave a message here or contact me by e-mail to lgscisoft at lgscisoft.com.Regards,Luis