SearchSearch 

Jet Control Problem

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

I don't know why but whenever I try to fly jets in both FSX and FS2004 they go into an almost vertical climb before making a nose drive, then repeating this action over and over again. The only way I can seem to control it is by setting an altitude and going into autopilot mode. What can be causing this?

22 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Take off and fly as slowly as that jet can take.
Any small movement with your joystick is exaggerated because of the speed.
Slowly at first then pick up speed go faster after you learn to fly them slowly.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

It does it regardless of throttle position, even when its throttled all the way back.

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

Oh and I forgot to add that it does it without me touching the joystick. I just push the throttle forward to let it take off all by itself, then pull back on the throttle to any degree. But it will continue to climb and fall throughout the length of any flight.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

When you say "jets" do mean fighters or airliners.

Before you try again, move your USB connector to a different inlet.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

Changing which USB port my joystick was plugged into made no difference, and as far as I can see there is only one fighter jet and that is in FSX. There does not appear to be any problem with that, not that I normally use it.

Both the Bombardier CRJ700 and Learjet go into an almost vertical climb, before going nose down. The angle of climb and dive slowly increasing until they eventually roll all the way over onto their back before rolling sideways back to belly down before going into another nose dive.

The bigger jets like the Airbus and Boeing do not go into a vertical climb but would not get off the ground without pulling back on the joystick. Let go of the stick and they slowly go nose down until they dive straight into the ground.

However, my original question was what could be causing this problem because I figured as it was happening on both FSX and FS2004 it could not be a problem of the flight simulators.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

What are your computer specs, as much about your video card as possible.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

ASUS M5A78L-M USB3 Motherboard
AMD FX8320 3.5Ghz Processor
16GB Crucial 1600Mhz (2 x 8GB) Memory

Asus GeForce GT 610 Silent Nvidia Graphics Card (2GB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, HDMI, DVI-I, VGA, Low Profile Design, 0dB Silent Cooling)

Brand ASUS
Item Weight 998 g
Product Dimensions 40 x 25 x 6 cm
Item model number GT610-SL-2GD3-L
Series Geforce GT 610
Processor Count 1
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Size 2048 MB
Graphics Card Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Graphics RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics Card Ram Size 2 GB
Graphics Card Interface PCI-E
Number of VGA Ports 1
Wattage 75 watts

Not exactly an high end computer but I am about to build a better one after doing some reseach.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's not bad at all.
The card is very weak and old. That could be the problem.
I wouldn't buy a new one if your going to build a new machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121646

You must have a bigger power supply than 75w 😂 , that wouldn't run a cell phone.
It's probably a 750w, a 1,000 or 1,200 name brand would be best in your new machine.

I hope you have both SP1 and SP2 patch or FSX Gold or The Acceleration pack so you can use all cores.
The Sim was originally made for a single core and the patches made it use all cores.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

The 75W is not referring to the power supply, that is part of the graphics card details. My power supply is only 500W although I do have an 850W ready for the new build. I also have another graphics card, a Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I did have both those on this computer for a little while but because I did not see much improvement I went back to my original build.

The advantage of using the old graphics card on this computer is that I have 2 identical computers and having the same graphics card in both means I can always swap the hard drives over from one to another without having to keep going through the process of the operating system finding new hardware.

The second computer is mainly used for playing videos and music while I am using this one, but occasionally I use it instead of this one. For instance, when I want to strip this one down for a good servicing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You didn't see an improvement because FSX wasn't made with SLI or CrossFire in mind.
I bought a machine with 2 cards just for FSX and when it came out I found I wasted money.

850W sounds much better.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

I am not using SLI. I only use one graphics card at a time.

Anyway, I have just finished doing a clean install of Windows 7 and installed both FS2004 and FSX Gold. No other programs and no addons. Nothing that could possibly effect the flight Sims. The same thing still happened on both sims.

So now I am beginning to wonder if this is normal, that you actually need to manually control all the jets using the joystick until you turn on the autopilot. That maybe its due to my lack of knowledge regarding flying jets.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You just proved that it isn't software related, the only thing left is hardware.
Yours either isn't up to par or it could be the joystick.
If you can borrow one from someone you'd be able to see if yours is bad.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

Taking on your advice I changed over to my old sidewinder joystick but it made no difference. Not that I really expected it to because it doing the same thing even when I unplugged my joystick and used the keyboard only.

Anyway, its time for me to use my other computer and service this one. So I have decided that while I have it stripped down to put the 850W PSU back in and try the Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card again. Not that I expect that to make much difference, but there again when I had them installed the last time I was not trying to fly jets.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's a better card, lets hope that this solves it.

I didn't know you tried the keyboard, that was the perfect way to eliminate the question "is it the joystick".

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

Changing to the better graphics card made no difference either. Its not just happening on both FSX and FS9 but also on every operating system. XP, 7, 8 and 10.

Its hard to believe that I have 2 different flight simulators both with the same fault, but its also hard to believe that it has anything to do with my computer. It should be more than adequate to run these Sims.

I hear all the guys saying you need to have faster processors and graphics cards but lets face it, when FS9 and FSX first came out there were no faster processors and graphics cards.

Sure, if you want to install lots of add-ons you would possibly need to have a faster processor and graphics card. But not for just the Sim on its own.

I am beginning to think that rather than upgrade to an high end computer, what I should be doing is downgrading to one than can only run XP.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This is a puzzle probably with a simple answer.
I'm curious with what you come up next on XP.
XP will only use 3-31/2 gig ram, if you have a 64bit version you'll use more ram.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

I have tried both 32 and 64bit of every operating system including XP.

Anyway, I just remembered that some time ago I had downloaded and installed FSX Steam Edition but uninstalled it because I could see no difference between that and the FSX I already had. Well apart from the fact that you had to logged into Steam to use it, and them monitoring your use of it. That I did not like.

But I decided to reinstal Steam Edition just to see if there was any problem with the jets on that, the Steam Edition being more up to date than my other Sims. However it did exactly the same.

I wish someone could let me know what happens with the jets on their computers so I would know if this is a problem or not. What I need to know is what happens if their not in autopilot and take their hand off the joystick. Does their aircraft climb or fall all on its own, or does remain in level flight.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I feel the same as you about Steam.

I can't speak for jets since since I mainly fly GA but I had a Citation and I let it seek it's maximum flying level and then took an afternoon nap 😂 .
When I woke it was still flying along at approximately the same altitude (no autopilot).

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

I am not sure what GA stands for and could not find out by doing a Google search. However, the Citation is not a default aircraft in FSX or FS9 and from what I can see it's a small business jet almost identical to the Bomardier Learjet.

I can go for a nap and find my Learjet still flying. But it will have continuously done a vertical climb, rolled over and done a vertical dive throughout the whole flight and still be doing so after I wake from my nap.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

GA = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_aviation

I've never experienced the problem you have had and I have flown a few times military jets and airliners.

Yes the Citation is similar to your Bomardier.
I flew the payware one.

https://www.simshack.net/products/cessna-s550-citation-ii-hd-series-fsx-p3d-982 PAY

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/6243/fsx-sp2-cessna-citation-500/ FREE.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

Well I think its time to put this problem to bed because I have tried everything and there does appear to be an answer to it.
Thanks for trying to help just the same.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's a shame, I still think it's hardware related.
Maybe the joystick is feeding in the wrong settings in the Sims.
I don't know but if you do solve it let us know please.

Radar