Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

New Member Greetings and a few questions

Pro Member Trainee
bennubird Trainee

Greetings
Just wanted to say greetings. I've been a member of the forum for about a month now but this is only my second post. I started flight simulation with the Apple IIe about 20 or so years ago when your airplane was a plus sign. I've been hooked and participated off and on ever since. I consider myself a lifetime learn in all things and look forward to learning more about flying through my participation in this forum.

FS2004 Errors on my System
I have upgraded to the most recent version but have found the following errors:
My logbook is corupted so I can't log my flight time. How can I correct this? I re-installed Flight Simulator but saved my settings and there was no change.

Also, I am getting instrument failures flying Cessna's even when I do not have them set to fail. This happens repeatedly. What can be done about it?

Finally, how can I determine the better add on commercial aircraft for download? Suggestions are welcomed and deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Welcome, you've been at this sim much longer than I have.
My log was OK until I tried to edit it and it wouldn't work again.
After a few aborted attempts (always deleting the old ones) I finally got it to work again.
Delete all that are in your folder and follow the directions closely step by step accessing it only from the tool bar in flight by hitting the Alt key.

This post might help, he found a work-around.
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1326/logbook-error-when-exiting-fs2004/

As far as Free-ware commercial aircraft check our aircraft forum, many of the ones by, Eric Cantu, Meljet, Kittyhawk and Posky among others are excellent downloads.
If there is anything that we can help with please ask.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Welcome aboard, hope you get your log squared away. Never use it myself.

Pro Member Trainee
bennubird Trainee

Thanks for the greetings!

I'll try the fix for the log book when I get home.

I've downloaded some aircraft files from ProjectAI. Are those complete aircraft or do I need to download panels separately?

Thanks!

Bennu

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

Welcome

ProjectAI aircraft are for AI aircraft only, they are not meant for you to fly.
You won't find any panels within the folders as these give a big FPS hits.

Your best bet is to download aircraft you wan't to fly from the download section here, or AVSIM.

Hope this helps

Pro Member Trainee
bennubird Trainee

Thanks so much for explaining that. I've been really confused about where to get good quality commercial airliners to fly and thought I had found them at projectai.

How much of a fps hit? I have a gig of RAM and a video card with 256 MBs.

Bennu

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

go to https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads.html for some great aircraft

Beautiful paint scheme, but the menus to get to the fleet is hard to navigate

spuddi Guest

What instruments are failing?
What is the weather and height/temp that this is occuring at?

The reason I ask is that if you don't hit the pitot heat button and its cold then you'll get instrument failures, typically the speedo due to the pitot being blocked with ice.

Pro Member Trainee
bennubird Trainee

Spuddi

Not that this matters, but I was flying from Alexandria in northern Egypt over to and then down the Nile to Giza and then Cairo. The instruments kept failing every 10 minutes or so. It was definitely cyclical. I flew at different altitudes and got the same result, seemingly without regard to height: 5,000; 2,500; 1,500.

Any other possibilities?

Bennu

Pro Member Trainee
bennubird Trainee

Downloaded several of the most popular aircraft from avsim last night. The quality of the aircraft varies considerably, some have wheels that do not turn when you turn, others have front wheels half way into the tarmac, others lack sound, still others have incomplete panels. I recognize a lot goes into making those and I appreciate that. However, I wonder if there are specific commerical planes that people enjoy flying without these sorts of snafus? If so, will you please suggest specific models?

Thanks!

Bennu

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

Meljet have some excellant commercial aircraft, never had a problem with them or you can try Mike Stones site, same applies here

http://www.meljet.com

Hope these help you and don't forget to tell us what you think

Pro Member Trainee
bennubird Trainee

Everyone has been very helpful with making suggestions and answering questions. Thanks!

Bennu