Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Slow Download Speed with PRO

Pro Member Trainee
ibscottm1 Trainee

I joined Pro and logged into my account, and am getting a download speed of 300 to 350 kb/s. I have a much faster connection at this end. Shouldn't it download faster? I usually get at least 1.7.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Yes, it should be much faster.

Are you using any download managers/plugins?

Please open a support ticket here:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/contact/

Pro Member Trainee
ibscottm1 Trainee

I am using Google Chrome on Win 7, and have not added a plugin to manage downloads. I have not had a problem with speed on any other downloads. Can you recommend a plugin?

Pro Member Site Admin

Where are you located?

Specifically, what file are you attempting to download that results in the slow speed? Is it all downloads or one particular download?

Pro Member Trainee
ibscottm1 Trainee

I am in Northern California, near Sacramento. This is the first file I have tried to download from this site. The file is california-photoreal-fsx-p3d .zip

Pro Member Site Admin

Thank you for providing clarification on the file.

What exact speed are you getting?

Does the speed stay stable or does it fluctuate?

What speed does your ISP guarantee? And how is your connection delivered: DSL, Fiber, Cable (DOCSIS) or other?

Pro Member Trainee
ibscottm1 Trainee

I am getting a speed between 300 and 350 kb/s, and it fluctuates down to the low 200's up to 400 kb/s. I have fiber, with a speed of 5 mb/s. I just did a speed test and am getting 7 mb/s.

Pro Member Site Admin

When downloading from our website, are you getting ~300 KB/s (Kilobytes per second) or ~300 Kb/s (Kilobits per second)? There is a big difference (factor of 10).

If you are unsure, can you share a screenshot of an active download? We can have a look for you.

Do you have fiber to the cabinet or fiber to the premises (fiber to the building)? Most ISPs sell "fiber" as fiber-to-the-cabinet and the rest of the connection comes in on VDSL. How does the cable look that comes into your building - is the core copper (i.e. a telephone line) or optical? If you are unsure, share an image and we can take a look.

Sorry for the many questions; we are just trying to rule out other issues.

In the meantime, we will fire up a VM (virtual machine) in Northern CA and run a download test from our delivery servers to test as close as we can physically get to where you are located. This should rule out upstream network issues. I will update you on the results of this - hopefully before the morning.

Pro Member Trainee
ibscottm1 Trainee

I was talking in KB/s, not Kb/s, that was my typo. It currently shows 2 days remaining. We have fiber to the house, and copper inside. I haven't ruled out the wireless router, but am just setting up this machine, and have done several downloads recently with much faster speeds. A large download yesterday ran at 1.2 to 1.7 Mbps. It sounds like the problem isn't at your end, so I will just let it run.

Pro Member Trainee
ibscottm1 Trainee

Update: I paused the download, and re-booted both the machine and the router. Then, after about 15 minutes, it started downloading much faster, and is running at 1.7 Mbps now. The problem was at this end. Thank you for your help!!