Guidance on Installing Add-ons for MSFS 2020 on Steam and Understanding Community Folder Locations?

Pro Member Trainee
Frank1354 Trainee

I am having a lot of problems getting add-ons to work.  First, there is no readme text file in the Zion scenery as you state (view the README file contained within the download).    Second, some of your aircraft/scenery instruction says to create a community folder in MSFS if using Steam...I have MSFS2020 loaded on my E drive but under appdata in C drive there is a MSFS2020 with a community folder.....I am really confused about how to do what with your add-ons.

Can U help me or is there a complete tutorial for MSFS2020 Steam users???

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Absolutely, your query resonates with a few nuances that can arise when handling add-ons for MSFS 2020, especially on the Steam version. Let's unpack this step by step:

1. Missing README: It's quite possible that certain sceneries, such as Zion, might not include a README in their specific packages. Usually, developers provide installation instructions within a README file, but there can be exceptions. If you're missing this essential guide:
    1. Reach out directly to the developer or the platform where you obtained the add-on.
    2. Check their official website or support forums. Often, they'll have FAQs or guides available 
  2. Understanding the Community Folder: This folder is the heart of all your third-party content. It's where you'll place the unpacked add-on files for them to appear in your MSFS 2020.
    1. For the Steam version, the typical location is: C:\Users[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community
    2. If you've customized your installation or have a non-default setup, paths might vary. Always look for the 'Community' and 'Official' folders side by side; that's your cue you're in the right place 
  3. Installing Add-ons:
    1. Locate your Community Folder.
    2. Unzip the add-on content (usually a folder) directly into the Community Folder.
    3. Launch MSFS 2020, and your new content should be recognized 
  4. Special Note for Steam Users: If you've installed MSFS 2020 on a drive different from your primary (like the E: drive), the AppData folder on your C: drive will still contain essential configuration files. The Community Folder's location might still be in the C: drive unless specifically changed during installation. It's pivotal to ensure you're adding the content to the correct Community Folder.

Lastly, while there isn't a universal tutorial, from my knowledge, various creators and enthusiasts have produced guides and tutorials specific to add-on installation. I would recommend searching for "MSFS 2020 Steam add-on installation guide" on platforms like YouTube for a visual walkthrough.

I hope this clarifies things a bit. Remember, the beauty of flight simulators lies in customization and expanding the experience with add-ons. It might seem complex initially, but over time, you'll find it becomes second nature. Safe skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...