Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

PLEASE HURRY

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I'm working on a repport and I need the defination of a glide slope. I have an idea and know what it is, but I don't know what it is. Please hurry. It is due tomorrow! It may also be called the glide path maybe.

Last edited by Matthew Shope (mypilot) on Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

the final path followed by an aircraft as it is landing

thats the book definition, or at least Google's

all you need is some space filler, and you're all set

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks a million!

Pro Member Chief Captain

One more question. What would happen if you didn't flare the airplane. (In real life)

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

mypilot wrote:

One more question. What would happen if you didn't flare the airplane. (In real life)

Can you say "scrape aluminum"? Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain

this is something to ponder. Wouldnt you think that flying straight and level on a descent would give you a 3 point leanding?

Pro Member Chief Captain

i guess it depends on the aircraft too? lighter ones can do it better i'd say.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

You know when you have not flared as it takes full power to taxi back to the gate....same as when you land wheels up! Seriously, think of it like dropping a ball straight down...it bounces quite high. Try the same throwing it slightly forward...not so much bounce. Energy vector is slightly forward and not just down. It is 3 AM here so forgive my poor explanation!

GS - glideslope/glidepath. The vertical guidance part of an instrument landing system which establishes a safe glidepath (usually three degrees) to a runway.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

this is something to ponder. Wouldnt you think that flying straight and level on a descent would give you a 3 point leanding?

By level I am assuming you mean the attitude of the plane. It would be passible to make a three point landing with a trike gear, but it would be a hard landing. You would be decending. The flare does two things. It slows your decent while slowing your speed.

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

Check out the AIM at FAA.com look up ILS landing.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks. I handed it in this morning and I am crossing my fingers. When I get it back I may put it on here.

Pro Member Chief Captain

great. So what was the overall theme of the report?

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Glideslope :-

Vertical navigation path for Aircraft's final approach to the Runway's threshold.

The "Vertical" bit is perhaps the most key, because the directional (or Lateral) path of the final approach (ILS) is guided by another piece of clever guidance technology; The localizer.

Pro Member Chief Captain

GS - glideslope/glidepath. The vertical guidance part of an instrument landing system which establishes a safe glidepath (usually three degrees) to a runway.

PH established that Razz

Never hurts to hear it again tho!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

great. So what was the overall theme of the report?

It was an English thing and we had to write our rough draft on something that you know how to do. Since I like (love) aviation I wrote on "How-to Fly an Airplane." It wasn't that hard. I was able to do it in one night.

Pro Member Chief Captain

coolness

Pro Member Trainee
falconjgc Trainee

I cant believe you mypilot you do evry thing the night before its due Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well I had no choice. Mrs. Woolley only assigned it the night before it was due. I had no choice. Shocked

Pro Member Chief Captain

It was that one I told you about, falcon. The one on "How-To" do something that you are good at.

P.S. Adam did his on how to wash his hands. Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain

Mrs WOOLEY????

HAHAHA
That's awesome...wooley...is she like a wookie or something?? Razz

That's wild.

I take it falcon know's you?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeh we know each other. Falcon just lives around the corner. He used to go to the same school as me, but now moved on. If he had stayed in the same school he would have "Mrs. Woolley" just like me. Mrs. Woolley's favorite animal is sheep because sheep are wooly just like her name. She gets boring sometimes. Although, she is ALOT better than the teacher we had last year who was kind of really.... just I didn't like her.

Pro Member Chief Captain

that's awesome.

so, Falcon is into flying as well huh, does he plan on being a pilot too?

Pro Member Chief Captain

No. He's not into flying. He likes the computer thing. He uses his flight simulator, too. I had him sign up with flyaway.

Pro Member Chief Captain

that's awesome!