Finding Windowed Mode in X-Plane 11 Graphics Settings on Windows 10

Chris Sheehan Guest

In Windows 10, under X-plane 11 graphics settings there is no windowed mode, only full screen, instructor, and 2D.  Help. Thank you.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Your concern regarding the absence of windowed mode in X-Plane 11's graphics settings on Windows 10 certainly rings a bell, and it is something that can be addressed. Let's walk through the steps to help you find and enable this particular feature.

1. Confirm Your X-Plane Version:
First and foremost, ensure that you're running the latest version of X-Plane 11. Sometimes, these issues may arise from running an older build, so updating may solve the problem.

2. Manually Activate Windowed Mode:
Pressing the Alt + Enter keys simultaneously can often toggle between windowed and full-screen modes, even if the option is not visible in the settings.

3. Modify Configuration Files:
If the above solutions don't work, you might need to manually edit the configuration files.

• Navigate to the X-Plane 11 installation directory.
  • Open the 'Output' folder, then the 'Preferences' folder.
  • Locate the file named X-Plane Screen Res.txt.
  • Open this file in Notepad or any plain text editor.
  • Change the line starting with 'full_screens' to '0' instead of '1'.

4. Additional Consideration:
If you're running multiple monitors or a specialized setup, this might alter how X-Plane behaves in terms of display modes. It may be worthwhile to review the official X-Plane multi-monitor setup guide if this is applicable to your situation.

Note that the solutions provided here are mainly tailored to X-Plane 11, but some of these tips (especially the Alt + Enter key combination) may apply to other flight simulator platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator as well.

Concluding Thoughts:
I hope the above steps assist you in resolving the issue. Finding and enabling windowed mode in X-Plane 11 can be a bit tricky, but these solutions have helped others in the past. If none of the above work, don't hesitate to reach back out.

From my knowledge, community and support are always here to assist with these issues. Happy flying!

Ned Higgins Guest

I have a problem running Xplane 11 in "Windowed" mode . I have reviewed several post regarding this issue and have tried everything suggested and nothing seems to fix the issue . My main problem is that the settings/graphics does not even give me the option to run Windowed mode. --only Fulll screen. Any thoughts Anyone? Seems several folks have had the same issue. 

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...