Optimizing Alienware AW2720HF Monitor Settings for Enhanced Flight Simulator Experience

Pro Member Trainee
sterk03 Trainee

I just replaced my old Dell monitor with the new Alienware AW2720HF monitor.  So far I'm not impressed but I'm sure it is not set up correctly.

The instructions are not so clear to me but then I'm new to the gaming monitor world.  I know several posts say the FSX sets up the Nvidia to run what it needs but to me, the Monitor has to be set up for FSX.  It's a 240HZ monitor but it just says 60HZ (annoying upper left corner all the time) and the max is 1980/10880P. I am running the monitor trying two different Dell computers with two different cards. GTX 750Ti and a laptop with RTX2060. I have a HDMI connection for the old Dell and a DP connection for the newer laptop with the RTX2060.

Any help with the proper setup with the Alien for FSX would be greatly appreciated. I probably have been hitting buttons and got it out of wack so probably need to reset and start over.  Sometimes I look up and see FPS at 30 and some way higher but last night I saw 7-15 range for a while.  It is a good picture but sometimes I feel it should be sharper if its 4K capable but then I know you have to put 4K into it to get that, so If I'm putting 1980/1080P then I have it set for that it should be HD sharp and I'm not sure it is.  My question I have from the beginning is how do you get rid of the lines that go running back and forth, easiest to describe like on a wing of the aircraft or looking at an airport from a distance is this part of the graphics card the HZ the resolution or the Ram or what???? again I don't know what a high-end computer and monitor really look like maybe I'm looking for something that is not out there?

Thanks for any help on the ALIEN...I MIGHT TRY DELL BUT IT SEEMS SUPPORT IS FOR IF IT'S NOT TURNING ON OR A PROBLEM, I'M NOT SAYING MY IS NOT WORKING I'M SAYING THERE SHOULD BE A SETUP CHECK LIST FOR FSX WHICH GIVES THE BEST DISPLAY.  If If the graphics card is running FSX then the monitor has to be in the correct setup for it to display correctly.

Thanks

Sterk03

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I understand your challenge with the Alienware AW2720HF and its integration with Flight Simulator X (FSX). The transition to high-refresh-rate monitors like yours, especially when coming from more traditional setups, can indeed be a bit daunting. Let's delve into optimizing your monitor settings to enhance your FSX experience.

Firstly, it's crucial to ensure that your monitor is running at its optimal refresh rate. The Alienware AW2720HF is capable of a 240Hz refresh rate, but often defaults to 60Hz. To adjust this:

• Right-click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • Under Display, select Change resolution.
  • Here, you should see a list of refresh rates available for your monitor. Select 240Hz.

If the 240Hz option is unavailable, it might be due to your HDMI connection. HDMI often limits the refresh rate, so I suggest using a DisplayPort (DP) connection, especially with your RTX2060 laptop, to fully leverage the monitor's capabilities.

Regarding your concern about the resolution and sharpness, the AW2720HF is a 1920x1080p monitor, not a 4K display. This means while you won't get 4K sharpness, you can still achieve excellent clarity. To ensure the best image quality:

• Adjust the resolution to its native 1920x1080p in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • Fine-tune the sharpness settings directly on your monitor through its on-screen menu.

The "lines" you're noticing, often described as artifacts or screen tearing, are likely due to V-Sync settings or GPU performance issues. Here's how to address them:

• Enable V-Sync in the FSX settings. This synchronizes the frame rate of the game with the refresh rate of your monitor, reducing tearing.
  • Monitor your GPU's performance. Both the GTX 750Ti and RTX2060 should handle FSX well, but ensure they're not being thermally throttled or overworked.

To enhance your FSX experience further, consider tweaking in-game settings such as scenery complexity and texture resolution. These adjustments can profoundly affect both visuals and performance.

Remember, the key to a seamless flight simulation experience lies in balancing the capabilities of your monitor with your graphics card and FSX's settings. Experimenting with these configurations will help you find the sweet spot for your specific setup.

If you have more questions or need further clarification, feel free to ask. Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...