MS Flight Simulator 2006 X12-50238-01 With Windows 10

Jorge Olaves Guest

I got a MS Flight Simulator 2006 X12-50238-01.  I have the product key but it doesn't work on Windows 10.  What link can I use to upgrade or install this program to Windows 10?  Is there a free download of this program for Windows 10?

Please let me know, thanks.

Jorge Olaves

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Guest Guest

I didn't know MS made a Flight Sim for 2006 or perhaps I should say, I didn't know the label was Flight Simulator 2006.  Perhaps you are referring to Flight Simulator X?
MS made the Flight Sim (for this discussion)
  in 1999 called Flight Simulator 2000,
  in 2001 called Flight Simulator 2002,
  in 2003 called Flight Simulator 2004, A Century of Flight,
  in 2006 called Flight Simulator X.
  in 2014, X was ported for Steam & called Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition.
  in 2020, called Flight Simulator.

Your first statement, "I have the product key but it doesn't work on Windows 10"  would lead me to believe you have the program installed & it isn't running.  In this case, you need to right click the shortcut icon on your desktop & select Properties, then pick the Compatibility tab, select Compatibility mode, Select Windows 7.  You may have to tweak some other settings to make this run on your machine.

Your first question, "What link can I use to upgrade or install this program to Windows 10?" lures me to ask, you have a product key but no disk?  Is the program installed on your machine or not?
Your second question, "Is there a free download of this program for Windows 10?" leads me to believe you do not have the program installed as you have no disk.

If this is the case, you may want to try Microsofts website & see if there is a trial software available.  Perhaps within the trial, it will allow you to use the product key to register the software.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello Jorge,

Greetings! I'm Ian Stephens and your question on Microsoft Flight Simulator 2006 X12-50238-01 compatibility with Windows 10 seems like an area where I can shed some light.

1. Confirming the Simulator Version

Firstly, I'd like to clarify that Microsoft did not release a Flight Simulator in 2006 labeled as "Flight Simulator 2006". What I believe you might be referring to is "Microsoft Flight Simulator X," commonly known as FSX, which was indeed released in 2006.

If you could double-check and confirm that the version you're referring to is indeed FSX, that would be great. If that's not the case, could you provide more details about your version so we can look into it more accurately?

2. Addressing the Installation Issue

If it is FSX, we can discuss compatibility with Windows 10. You mentioned you have a product key but are having trouble getting the program to work. The user above has suggested trying the compatibility mode in Windows, which should be your first port of call. Specifically, running the simulator in 'Windows 7' compatibility mode may help.

As for your question about obtaining a version for Windows 10, FSX: Steam Edition has been optimized for modern operating systems, including Windows 10. It might be worth considering if you're struggling to get the original FSX to work on Windows 10.

3. FSX: Steam Edition

FSX: Steam Edition has received various updates that not only help with compatibility but also optimize performance on newer hardware. It also offers a more convenient installation process since you can download it directly from Steam rather than dealing with disks.

This edition is not free but often goes on sale during Steam's sale periods. Keep in mind, it requires an internet connection to validate your purchase and download the files. If this is an option you're considering, remember to uninstall any previous FSX installations to prevent conflicts.

4. Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020)

Finally, Microsoft released a new Flight Simulator in 2020, which is a considerable step up from FSX in terms of graphics, realism, and overall functionality. Like the Steam Edition of FSX, the 2020 version requires an internet connection for installation and has some online features. You may want to explore this as another option.

While I understand you may have an affinity for your current simulator, sometimes upgrading to a newer platform can solve a lot of issues. Both FSX: Steam Edition and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) can offer a much smoother and more immersive simulation experience, especially on newer operating systems like Windows 10.

I hope this information has been helpful and don't hesitate to reply if you need any further clarification or assistance.

Safe flights!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...