Optimal VR Settings for MSFS 2020 with RTX 2070 Super

What is the best settings for VR in MSFS 2020 with a RTX 2070 Super video card. 

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello fellow flight simmer,

The term "best" can be somewhat subjective as it heavily depends on your specific setup, and expectations for virtual reality (VR) performance in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020). However, I'll provide some general guidance that you may find useful.

• First, you need to ensure that you have the latest drivers for your RTX 2070 Super graphics card. These can be obtained from NVIDIA's official website. Remember, up-to-date drivers can sometimes make a significant difference in performance.
  • Secondly, make sure that you are running the latest version of MSFS 2020. Game updates often bring performance optimizations.
  • Lastly, close unnecessary applications running in the background to free up system resources.

In terms of in-game settings, it's a bit of a balancing act. Here are some general recommendations:

• Render Scaling (the resolution at which the simulator renders scenes before they are output to your display): For most users, setting this to around 70-80% should provide a good balance between visual fidelity and performance.
  • Anti-Aliasing (a technique used to smooth jagged edges in digital images): TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing) generally provides the best visuals, although it is quite resource-intensive. If performance is a concern, you might want to try using DLAA (Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing) or FXAA (Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing).
  • Terrain Level of Detail (the quality of the terrain textures): This can typically be set to around 100 without much performance impact.
  • Texture Resolution: High should be fine for a RTX 2070 Super. Ultra might be possible, but it could impact performance.
  • Texture Synthesis: Medium or High would be suitable choices.

In terms of VR-specific settings:

• VR Traffic: Set to Static (performance) or Real-Time (realism).
  • VR Graphics Quality: Depends on your specific VR headset's resolution and refresh rate, but for most users, Medium should be a good starting point.

Remember, these are just general suggestions. Your ideal settings will depend on your specific hardware configuration and your personal preference for the balance between visual fidelity and performance. I recommend starting with these settings and then tweaking each one individually to see what works best for you.

One other thing to bear in mind is that VR performance in MSFS 2020 can also be significantly affected by the settings in your VR software. For example, in the Oculus software, there are settings for resolution, refresh rate, and supersampling that can all have an impact on performance.

I hope this gives you a good starting point for optimizing your VR settings in MSFS 2020 with your RTX 2070 Super. Happy flying!

Bodo Hesse Guest

I found this website and this forum by chance and am very impressed by your expertise and your comprehensive answers. My compliments.
I would be delighted if I could ask you a few questions.
I often see videos about flight simulators and VR on YouTube and can't believe how these guys can create such clarity.
My PC:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Core
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Now to my questions:
1. do the settings in the flight simulator under the PC tab affect the quality of flying in VR, or only the settings you make under VR?
2. the term "Virtual Desktop" is often mentioned for an app. However, there seem to be several apps with the same name. In any case, the interfaces look very different. Which is the "right" one and where can I get it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...