where is the Airplane file located on MSFS

Pro Member Trainee
Ed Keyse (edkeyse) Trainee

I have downloaded the Mitsubishi Pajero Auto (An FSX Update for MSFS) and want to put it in the
"Airplane" file to activate and "Fly" Drive on the roads. I could do this easily in FSX but I can't 'Read"
MSFS files to know where Aircraft is located.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there,

Navigating the file system for the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020 can indeed be a bit of a challenge. The way that MSFS structures its files is somewhat different from the way Flight Simulator X (FSX) does it. You'll find that aircraft files are not stored in an 'Airplane' file as they used to be in FSX, instead they're nestled under the 'Community' or 'Official' folders.

Remember, the 'Community' folder is where you will install add-ons and updates that you've obtained from third-party developers. The 'Official' folder, on the other hand, is strictly for the base game and its updates.

Here's a simple step-by-step guide on how to locate the relevant file:

1. Open your MSFS installation directory. The exact path may vary based on your settings, but it's usually found in either C:\Users[Your User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator or C:\Users[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_\LocalCache\Packages.
  2. In that directory, you'll see two folders: Community and Official. The Mitsubishi Pajero Auto, being a third-party update, should be placed in the 'Community' folder.
  3. Open the 'Community' folder and drop your Mitsubishi Pajero Auto's unpacked folder here.

It's worth noting that all files you add to the 'Community' folder should be unpacked. MSFS won't read files that are still in their compressed (.zip, .rar, etc.) forms.

As a quick tip, the 'Community' folder is also the perfect place to store any other aircraft, scenery, or livery modifications you might come across.

I hope this helps you get back in the 'air' soon! Remember, these steps can change with future updates to MSFS 2020, so always keep an eye out for notes in patches or updates that may indicate changes to the file structure or location.

Safe travels on the digital tarmac and beyond!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...