Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

question...please knowlegable real-world pilot answer?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

If you are at an airport that does not have a control tower, and you have an IFR flight plan, what is the frequency that you would dial to get IFR clearance?

Is it the nearest airport's clearance delivery?

Don Wood Guest

The frequency for clearance delivery for non-towered airports is listed on the IFR approach plates for that airport. If you are departing from an airport that does not have an IFR approach or that is too distant from a clearance delivery point to use the radio on the ground, you can file your flight plan and receive your clearance from a FSS by telephone. The clearance will create a block of time during which you may take off and provide a frequency to contact a departure control or ATC center. If you miss your takeoff time block, you are not allowed to depart and must contact the issuing FSS ASAP.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

thanks loads!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Don Wood wrote:

The frequency for clearance delivery for non-towered airports is listed on the IFR approach plates for that airport. If you are departing from an airport that does not have an IFR approach or that is too distant from a clearance delivery point to use the radio on the ground, you can file your flight plan and receive your clearance from a FSS by telephone. The clearance will create a block of time during which you may take off and provide a frequency to contact a departure control or ATC center. If you miss your takeoff time block, you are not allowed to depart and must contact the issuing FSS ASAP.

Don wood, if you weren't here, we would get everthing wrong! We wouldn't know which end was up! Every consider becoming a member?

Don Wood Guest

You got along pretty well before I found you but thanks for the kind words.

I considered membership but then I saw a flurry of forum messages about the problems people were having with membership issues and decided against it. I'm happy just lurking and putting my $.02 in when I think it will be usefuil.