SearchSearch 

GPS Question

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

On the GPS display, there is a button with OBS on it at the bottom left hand corner of the screen. When you click it, SUSP appears above it. What does this mean? Thanks a lot 😀 😀 😀

1 Responses

Guest Ed Guest

99jolegg,

I didn't know either, so I just went and read about it in the Learning Center in FS09-- "OBS" is the Omnibearing Selector, and what it does is to toggle between automatic and manual sequencing of waypoints in your flightplan. I think that when it displays "SUSP" it means you have "Suspended" automatic sequencing, and the gps will continue to display the current waypoint as the next reference even after you have passed it. When it's off, the gps automatically goes to the next waypoint after you pass one.

Not sure why you would want to do that, but seems to be what it does. Just wildly speculating, maybe if you had to hit a certain waypoint exactly, no matter how many attempts were required, before then continuing on to your final destination-- say if you're a bush pilot and need to airdrop supplies to someone at a specific location, you might need to make several attempts to hit that exact location before dropping the supplies, then resume your flight plan (say, back to your base).

Maybe someone else (real-world pilots?) can give an example of how that function is used?

Ed