Please Help

stuartfarrier Guest

Hi All hope someone can help, ive been having problems with this game. The game loads up fine but after about five or ten mins of play just freezes and you have to turn off the PC. It runs smoothly up until it just crashes, my PC is below and I wondered if anyone had any ideas of things I could try to rectify my problem.

Athlon 64 3000 Processor
- 512Mb 400Mhz DDR Memory
- 160Gb Serial-ATA Hard Drive with 8Mb Buffer & 150Mb/sec Transfer Rate
- ATI Radeon 9550 256Mb AGP Graphics Card with TV-Out

Answers 31 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I'm not too great with this, RadarMan or TTT is the best for this, but I would suggest that your PC is overheating. RadarMan will correct me if I am wrong. Try installing fans or take the cover off so more air can get to it.

Dont think its that as all other games work fine. Its only train sim that is having issues

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

You could try re-installing it in that case. But wait for RadarMan first. Sorry I can't be of much help 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Some games are more graphic intensive than others so they are "harder" on your computer.
As he said try it without the side panel, if that works then install some fans to both take in cool and expel hot air.
Your video card is a little old so try an older driver for it, maybe the 4.1 found at www.ati.com .
I believe there is a patch or two available for the sim, have you loaded them.
Lastly do you have DirectX 9.0c, the latest one.

These are a few of the fixes that may work, let us know how you do.

Radar

Robingoswell Guest

stuartfarrier wrote:

Hi All hope someone can help, ive been having problems with this game. The game loads up fine but after about five or ten mins of play just freezes and you have to turn off the PC. It runs smoothly up until it just crashes, my PC is below and I wondered if anyone had any ideas of things I could try to rectify my problem.

Athlon 64 3000 Processor
- 512Mb 400Mhz DDR Memory
- 160Gb Serial-ATA Hard Drive with 8Mb Buffer & 150Mb/sec Transfer Rate
- ATI Radeon 9550 256Mb AGP Graphics Card with TV-Out

I have a very similar experience in an advent T9103 using a Radeon X 600 Pro Pc3 Express Graphics card. the problem is only with train simulator, electric trains work fine but load a steam train, you can move off slowly but as soon as you open the regulator a bit the computer crashes - every time! It's weird. Flight simulator works just fine.

PaulG Guest

Hi, I have just loaded Microsoft Train Simulator onto an Afvent T9102. The PC is only 6 months old. All of the drivers are up to date (Radeon X600) and I have exactly the same problem. When you use the steam train, it works for 5-10 minutes then the PC restarts itself. If you come across a solution please let me know. Thanks. PG

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It still could be overheating or a bad power supply.
Some times if you add new ram to existing ram one stick can be bad, that's cause crashes like your having.
If so pull out the newest one and see if it works without it.

Radar

I have installed train sim correctly, but im still having an issue with this game. This question might be a little late, but i need some serious help. Once I load the game my screen goes black, and my comp freezes. This is what I have in my PC:

EVGA GeForce FX5500 256mb
512mb Ram
2.0 Ghz Intel Pentium 4

I have installed all of my updated drivers just like train sim support says to, I have 81.95 released on dec. 9, 2005. If anyone can give any help i would greatly appreciate it.

my video card is also an AGP

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did it ever run, that is before you downloaded the patch(s).

You have and older video card, I wouldn't use the latest drivers for it, use the ones that came with it or install some of the older ones.
1-Download the drivers and hold on before you install them.
2-Delete the drivers. http://www.drivercleaner.net/
3-Delete the card in the device manager.
4-Reboot the computer so it can find the card.
5-Install the new (actually older) drivers.
6-Install DirectX 9.0c.

You might have too many programs running in the background, you can use a program like this to shut down the unnecessary ones.
http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm

Also, when is the last time you opened the case and cleaned all the fans, especially the CPU fan (heatsink) that can get caked with dust and overheat.

When is the last time you ran defrag.

Let us know how you do.

Radar

jormc Guest

Hi!

I'm from Spain, so I hope you can understand me fine!

I just have same prblem with my new computer:

PIV 3,4GB
1GB RAM DDR2
250 GB SATA HDD
ATI RADEON X550
MS Train Simulator

When I play with electrical or diesel locomotives, all goes ok. But the crashes comes when I want to play with steam locomotives, after 2 or 3 minutes...

Somebody can help us? That's horrible!!! 😞

Lot of thanks!

Jordi

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

With a nice system like you have your video card is getting old, the graphics from that type of steam engine may be too much for it to handle.

First open up your computer case and clean the fans, especially the CPU fan.
If you can put an extra fan in the rear of the case to pull out the hot air that would be great. They are very cheap and easy to install.

Let us know how you do.
I still think it's the video card, you need a newer one.

Radar

Hi!

My video card is a new generation, a PCI Express version of ATI Radeon, it has 256MB DDR2 ram, so I think this is not problem, do you think?

I'm going to open the case and install extra fans. It already has a great fan over it's processor and memory chips. Then I tell you my experience.

thanks!

Jordi

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Jordi,
This is the information I found on your card, that's why I said it getting "long in the tooth".
http://www99.shopping.com/xPC-VisionTek_Xtasy_Radeon_X550_256MB_PCIe

Good idea about the fan(s), make sure the CPU fan is clean and working along with any others.

I use this from Intel, see if it's ok for your P-4.
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

Let us know how it all works out, good luck!

Radar

Hi!

My pc is only 6 days old, I've builted it at home last friday. All their fans are ok. It has a great mount-on fan over my P4 from Intel, a great chasis fan and a built-on over ATI's chipset. So, I think they're all ok now.

I think that must there are a problem with some P4's instruction, incompatible with some MSTS thread, and then my computer goes on crash... All my other games runs ok on my new P4... I dont know why... I only think that MSTS VS. ATI's x550 are an horrible couple...

I'm going to inform to you when I've tested and installed new fans over my ATI video card...

Thanks!!!

Jordi

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Be sure you have the CPU fan sealed with silver or whatever paste you used, just a tiny tiny amount.
Did you try the temperature meter.

Radar

Hi!

The CPU fan is ok, I've checked it.

The temperature monitor don't works on my ASUS mother card, so I've used ASUS Monitor, that informs about all temperatures from my PC. They are:

CPU Temp: 37ºC/98ºF
MB Temp: 23ºC/73ºF
All fans run ok.

Exists any monitor for video card temperatures?

The game is working fine for the other people that have posted here?

Thanks!

Jordi

Has somebody ask to Microsoft about this problem? Looking for some actualization patch?

This is no usual, and I think this is not a video card temperature's problem. I think this is an incompatible precossor's instruction group...

Do you think?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The train sim works fine for most but others have problems, it's like that with all software. MSTS wasn't popular enough I guess, that's why they didn't make version2.

I know that you don't want to overclock but take a look at the temperature monitor.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=725

Temps. http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/misc/CompuNurse_1.html

Information. http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=84026b79-9126-4977-9273-108821343bd8

They might know of a good video card monitor here.
http://www.devhardware.com/forums/

Let us know how you do.

Radar

Flyinboy48 Guest

I have tried to load MSTS on BRAND New Dell Dimension with 1 GB Ram and 250 gb Hard drive there is nothing on this system other than Office 2000 pro Netgear, & AVG plus all the preloaded software. It does hardly loads any of disk 2 before coming up with "unable to laod file" errors. is it worth continuing to try? do I need an XP SP2 patch or what? It is very frustrating
Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Some software won't or can't load using a CD burner, you have to use a CD only drive.

If your copy isn't new it could be dirty or scratched and you'll need a replacement disk from MS.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246
The CD drive that your using could be dirty also and need a CD cleaner disk available at any store.

Many different reasons.

Read this link from MS and see if it helps you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218617

Let us know how you do.

Radar

Hi!

I think I've find the problem. I used the history option of my temperature's monitor from Asus... It seems to be a temperature problem! The CPU goes on 72ºC only a few second before th PC crashes...

So, I think this is the great proble, like radarMan says on their posts (LOT OF THANKS!)

I'm going now to look for a good CPU fan and dissipator (sorry for my English, is this name ok?), but I don't understand why the original Intel fan don't seem to work ok...

Thanks a lot! I'll inform to you about my work.

Jordi

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm glad you found the problem.
The fans that they give you are aluminum and don't dissipate heat to well.
Get a copper (Zalman) fan and don't forget to use a grain size piece of silver paste to seal it.

Radar

bloodworx Guest

Hey radarman, I'm using a p4 3.4 w/HT , 1g DDR and an ATI Radeon x600 pro 256, I currently have the latest drivers isntalled, should I have those or an older version?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

bloodworx wrote:

Hey radarman, I'm using a p4 3.4 w/HT , 1g DDR and an ATI Radeon x600 pro 256, I currently have the latest drivers isntalled, should I have those or an older version?

If it's ok now leave it alone, change only if you are having problems.

That's an "older" card, I would try the latest but you'll probably see better results with drivers that are about a year old.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Radar

Hi!

I return with some news... I have mounted a new spendthrift for my P4, and have managed to lower his temperature to the extraordinary some 30ºC in all the cases, it works fine!... but MSTS continues without working.

Definitively, I think that certain incompatibility exists between STS and the new ones P4 or ATI Radeon...

Regards,

Jordi

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your machine is better off but the sim!

Some older programs can't run on XP but there is a way to make them do it. I run an old golf game on it.

Try this, about 2 inch down.

http://www.md4pc.com/questions/83.htm

Radar

Use MaxMem at the www.analogx.com site. I went there and not
only found MaxMem for free, bur also an awesome little piece of kit called
CacheBooster, ditto. This is a configurable cache adjusting device,
complete with uninstaller and a howdyuzeme file. It comes pre-set with
various settings like"general purpose", "gaming", etc. I downloaded it,
installed it, and started MSTS using the "gaming" settings. After some
noodling around, my freezing problem appears to have gone away. If you
have a setup like mine, right now, here are my settings: Min 11859 kb, max
34554 kb, chunk 1301 kb, last 52 kb. I saved these settings in a custom
cache configuration called MSTS.

Result? Classic UK steam rides the S&C and the ECML again, uninterrupted
and at high speed!

guest Guest

i have a slight problem, i downloaded a copy of the microsoft flight simulator 2004 using utorennt, and installed the game using daemon tools. Everything installed fine with no problems, then when i try to load the game up, it tells me to insert disk 4 even though the disk4 has been loaded in daemon and recognized in my computer.any suggestions please

thats a tricky 1

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

guest wrote:

i have a slight problem, i downloaded a copy of the microsoft flight simulator 2004 using utorennt, and installed the game using daemon tools. Everything installed fine with no problems, then when i try to load the game up, it tells me to insert disk 4 even though the disk4 has been loaded in daemon and recognized in my computer.any suggestions please

You have to find a NO-CD crack so you won't have to put the #4 disk in.
We have it here for members but I guess you'll have to Google for it. It's out there on the net. 9.0 unpatched, 9.1 with the MS patch.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...