Landing long flights?

Pro Member Trainee
thorpeclassp Trainee

Hello, I am new to FS2004, and I tried reading about this in the learning center, but that was no help.

When I pick a flight from the flight planner, what is the procedure to get there? Usually I just climb to an elevation out of the runway, and press the autopilot master key, and the NAV button, and I found that it flys there on its own.

But: when I get there it flys right over the airport. Here are a few questions I have, thanks alot:

1. What do I do when i get near the airport? Do I lower the elevation? Is there a way to have the NAV to guide me to the runway?

2. When I get to the airport, do I have to manually turn the airplane around and fix myself up with the runway?

3. What is the glide scope, and how do I get into it? -- (assuming that I have used the nav autopilot to fly me there)

4. Whats the difference between using the radio to line up with the runway, or the NAV? And how???

5. In the flight planner, it gives you 2 options: VFR, and IFR. whats the difference between the 2?

6. Last question: WHen I choose a flight, it has me on the runway. In what cases do you have to taxi to the runway? ---- When I land the airplane, where do I taxi to?

Thanks alot for your help

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

This should do some good, I guess others can take it from here.

THIS IS FOR IFR FLIGHT!

1. When ATC says something liek "WifeBeater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and mantain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockipt. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (thes are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list untill you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. FInd 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the righmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clickin it. Press the button that looks like thsi somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the LearJet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually Heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the directon and atitude of the pink arrows intull they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you wanna use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

Pro Member Trainee
thorpeclassp Trainee

i already read that, it wont seem to work.

Say... the runway is horizontal, but I am flying straight towards it. Do I turn the plane until i am heading in its direction? Or does the radio automatically turn it for me ?

And what pink arrows on the attitude meter??

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello thorpeclassp! Welcome aboard to this FS community ❗
I'm going to help you out with your questions, or at leats I'm going to try.
First, internet is your friend. You can find everything about aviation and some help with Flight Simulator 2004. There are many websites that you can look at.
Here are some of them:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/lahso.html
http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/ILS%20Approaches.html

I have more websites but I'm not going to put them all. If you want specific information, send me a private message or contact me at: agus2@mail.com I have messenger with the same address.

Ok, let's get into your questions:

When you are flying from (example) Paris to Madrid, you take off, put the auto-pilot and fly. But there are two methods of flying: VFR and IFR.
VFR: Visual Flight Rules IFR: Instrument Flight Rules
If you fly VFR, the control tower doesn't give you vectors to land or in-flight information, like traffic, altitudes, etc. If you fly IFR, the control tower does give you enough information to you about traffic, altitudes, vectors to land, etc etc etc. So, it's much better to fly IFR in long routes. But if you want to fly by yourself you can fly VFR. If you fly low, you have to fly VFR. If you fly high, you have to fly IFR. I'm not a real pilot (yet), so I don't really know the limit to fly VFR. I think it's 18,000 ft
To get to your destination, it's better to use IFR so the control tower tells you when to descend and at what altitude to descend. You follow those commands are you will get closer and closer to the airport.

Answers of your questions:

1. I already told you how to get to your destination. Fly IFR or VFR (IFR is better so the tower gives you vectors to land) and follow the instructions given to you by the control tower and you will find yourself near your destination airport. When you start your descend, turn off the NAV button.

2. If you fly IFR, thw tower will guide you through the airport and they will tell you which taxiway to take and which runway to use. Follow those instructions.

3. (taken from "The GPS-Kid" from this thred: https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/4221/please-hurry/ Glideslope :-

Vertical navigation path for Aircraft's final approach to the Runway's threshold.

The "Vertical" bit is perhaps the most key, because the directional (or Lateral) path of the final approach (ILS) is guided by another piece of clever guidance technology; The localizer.

To get into it, fly your descend using ILS (Intrument Landing System) Note: not all the airports have ILS. Fire_Emblem_Master has a good explanation on how to fly fly IFR, which is above my post.

4. To line up with the runway, follow the instructions from th control tower. (If you fly IFR). If you tune the right frequency, you will contact the runway frequency, ATIS information, etc. Again, Fire_Emblem_Master explains this all. The NAV button only is used to fly with Auto-pilot and to get to your destination, but you have to disable it when you are approaching your destination.

5. See the beginning of my post for the answers.

6. In the Flight Planner, you can change where do you want to appear. If you choose Active Runway, you will be on the runway. If you choose a gate or a parking spot, you will appear there. When you land the airplane, the tower will tell you to contact Ground Center on 111.1 (that's an just an example. The frequencies are always different in different airports).

This is it. If you need more information ask. We are here to help people out.

Note: I know Don Wood, PH and leadfoot are real pilots. They know more information that I do (for now 😛 ). If you find something wrong, please point it.

Thorpeclassp, I hope this helped you.
"Have a nice flight, and smooth landings"

[/url]

DonWood Guest

I have only two comments to make regarding the questions and one of the replies.

First, I would strongly recommend before flying high and far, you use the "Learn to Fly" lessons to get the basics. Most of what you asked will be taught in either the early lessons or the IFR lessons.

Second, the information provided regarding only being able to fly VFR in the low levels may be correct for Portugal or other countries. It is not correct for flying in the US. IFR flights in the low levels are flown thousands of times a day in the US. The information about being required to fly IFR in the high level airways is correct. In the US, Positive Control Airspace (PCA) begins at 18,000 feet above sea level and all flights in PCA must be IFR. Altitudes below PCA are referred to in feet. In the PCA, they are referred to as flight levels.

11,500 feet would be referred to by ATC as one one thousand, five hundred feet. 19,000 feet would be referred to as flight level one niner zero.

Pro Member Trainee
thorpeclassp Trainee

Well thanks for all your help, I put what you guys said to test.

I did a test flight IFR from san diego to LAX, and I did everything ATC told me to do, I gained altitude to 20,000 and used the autopilot nav to get to the airport, when ATC started giving me directions again, telling me which direction to turn in, I turned off the autopilot, and flipped the switch from NAV to GPS.

NOW::

It told me to go down to 1800 feet and go in direction 280 (--? I think it was 280 but it doesnt really matter)

I tuned NAV1 onto 109.900 which was the number for runway 7R that ATC told me I should land in, about 60 miles before I got to the airport.

About 5 minutes later the 2 pink arrows showed up on the attitude meter. About 2 minutes after that, ATC said something like.. ITF exterminated, or Aborted or something, and I they stopped guiding me, I had no idea what to do. where did it go? I was still not pointed towards the runway, as a matter of fact, the airport wasnt even in view.

Guest Ed Guest

Go through the Learn to Fly course, and all of this will become clear to you. If you just jump in a jet, take off, and engage autopilot, you will never learn to fly. This is a flight simulator, you need to know how to FLY before you start piloting big jets around.

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Ed, I totally agree with you, but you know, I've been pitching that one for a very long time, and it does no good. People don't take it seriously enough to actually have the drive to go through the lessons anymore. We're a dying breed, Ed...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

thorpeclassp wrote:

NOW::

It told me to go down to 1800 feet and go in direction 280 (--? I think it was 280 but it doesnt really matter)

I tuned NAV1 onto 109.900 which was the number for runway 7R that ATC told me I should land in, about 60 miles before I got to the airport.

About 5 minutes later the 2 pink arrows showed up on the attitude meter. About 2 minutes after that, ATC said something like.. ITF exterminated, or Aborted or something, and I they stopped guiding me, I had no idea what to do. where did it go? I was still not pointed towards the runway, as a matter of fact, the airport wasnt even in view.

Yes, I'd recommend you to do the flying lessons. You will learn a lot.

I will help you again with you problem. When you were 60 miles away from the airport and the ATC got aborted is because you didn't respond to them. Always do that. Another reason could be that you did the wrong turn or something, but I think that that would't be the problem. So, always respond to ATC. When ATC gets aborted you can put it back again. Just open the ATC window (`) and click one of the options that says to make a new flight plan or something.

The Anonymous Guest Guest

Yea, I couldnt agree with you anymore when you say that people dont have the interest in flying lessons. Me still finishing them, whenever i fly an aircraft, something just doesnt feel right in knowing that im not doing it correctly, so in that case i decided to learn the real way, and try out the learn to fly. OHHH man i was soo bored for the first 2 sections. All the reading and nothing exciting. BUT trust me, after all the ground school all everything they make everything clear, and now you start getting into the FUN lessons, where you actually have some expiernce and know what the ATC or anyone else is saying when they give you a command.

So yea, I encourage you taking the "Learn to fly"(including ground school) it will answer ALL your questions, well im pretty sure just about 90% of the ones you asked

Guest Ed Guest

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Ed, I totally agree with you, but you know, I've been pitching that one for a very long time, and it does no good. People don't take it seriously enough to actually have the drive to go through the lessons anymore. We're a dying breed, Ed...

To be perfectly honest, I have only gone through the lessons up to the instrument check ride. I found some of the lessons to be kind of buggy, and getting through the lesson was more of a hassle than what the lesson was trying to teach. So in a lot of cases, I would just set up the flight on my own and do what Rod had told me to do in the lesson, but without Rod nagging me all the time. And for the most part, I stick to aircraft that I have learned about through the lessons and reading.

But in order to understand flying complex aircraft, navigation, and dealing with ATC, you need to make the effort to at least attempt the lessons, and read the material. This is not an arcade game where you can sit down, load it up and start blasting aliens.

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...