Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

New RAM

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,
Still looking for RAM Shocked

It says on this, that i can have 2 GB of RAM, but I believe RadarMan said I could have only 1 GB.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell%2BDimension&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=Dimension+4600&submit=Go

I currently have 4 slots for RAM, 2 being filled with 256mb, leaving 2 spare slots. Can I put 2 x 512mb in them, or do they all have to be the same?

Thanks Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You can put 512mb sticks in as long as they're the same "speed" as the ones that you have now.
You can mix 256 and 512, 2 and then the other 2.
If your board supports more than 1 gig (most do) then you can put the max in allowed by that board.
I understand with some MOBO's that you are better off putting the higher (512) ram in the first bank of slots (bank 0).
Sounds great!

Radar

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Let us know how you get on Jolegg... I'm right there with you in that I too don't know much about the hardware side of PCs and like you, I;m also shopping for some RAM, (towards the end of Feb when I get paid!).

You need to shop around, for example I checked out getting anothe 1024Mb (2 x 512) from Dell .... the cost is 300.

I then checked out some compatible RAM with PC World and the cost is 120.

So a lot cheaper if you get it independently than from your PC manufacturer.... (and even cheaper off the Internet I bet).

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ive found 2 x 512mb for 80 quid, quite cheap. My dad isn't too keen on buying knew RAM and video cards, seeing as its only for my FS, but still Very Happy . Definitely need a knew video card soon. I was wondering, can I take out the existing RAM and put it in the other two slots to make way for the knew RAM, or will data be lost in this process? Thanks Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

No, ram doesn't hold data, you can't lose anything.
You may, because of Dell alternate your 128 and 256 but see how it runs with the 2-512's.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Check your mobo specs out in the manual or on Google or other search to make sure what it can take

I know some mobos that have 4 memory slots,but only 2 can used at any one time
Others with 4 slots can take 2 types of speed of memory,but using 3 or 4 will mean it will only run at the lower speed setting(so you could save $$ or waste $$ by buying the wrong speed

Also check the max it can take in one slot

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hi,
Not sure whether your familiar with this site, RadarMan gave it to me. I believe it tells you all of this already, in a little box in the top left. I think I can have 2 GB. Not sure what anyone means by the speed Confused . Am I right in thinking I can buy 2 x 512MB DDR PC3200 for the other two slots. Not really sure what the bits below mean. Thanks for all your help Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You say you have this, DDR PC3200. You can't mix 3200 with 2700, if you do it won't run right. It'll run slow, the speed of the slowest ram
Belarc or Dell will tell you that.

What do you have now, get the same but in 2 512mb's.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Radar is right,if you put one stick of higher performance ram in with lower performance it will only run at the lower speed
As for your diagram Arrow

1st column is the part number

2nd is the speed

3rd is CL stands for CAS latency,or clock cycles the lower this fig is means its the faster,but it does not mean you will see any speed difference as this depends on the mobo and the CPU. 3 is ok but 2.5 is better and more$$

4th is Error correction(not required for normal use)

5th Unbuffered or registered is for where very high performance is required and all memory must be fitted in matched pairs........so unbuffered is ok(most home PCs use unbuffered and therefore there is no need to buy matched pairs(again saving $$)

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hi, thanks for the replies all!

I looked at the RAM stuff when I restarted my PC and pressed F2. I found that:
Installed System Memory : 512MB DDR SDRAM
System Memory Speed : 333Mhz
System Mmemory Channel Mode : Dual
AGP Aperture (whoever he is Shocked ) : 128 MB

So, does this mean that the RAM I have now is compatible with the PC3200 RAM, or not?

Thanks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pro Member Trainee
boomshiko Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

You can put 512mb sticks in as long as they're the same "speed" as the ones that you have now.
You can mix 256 and 512, 2 and then the other 2.
If your board supports more than 1 gig (most do) then you can put the max in allowed by that board.
I understand with some MOBO's that you are better off putting the higher (512) ram in the first bank of slots (bank 0).
Sounds great!

Radar

Just wondering, Maybe someone can help....

But i recently wanted to upgrade my computer to 1024mb of ram but it didn't work!

here's the thing: I got 3 slots on my motherboard..(max supported is 3 g's)

2 slots were occupied with 2x 256mb of ram making 512 total.... Everything was running... but i wanted to upgrade

So here i buy an extra 512 mb stick of ram and put it in the third slot of the motherboard, but then trouble began!

when i started the computer it wasn't any faster... Even though my specs informed me i was running under 1024 mb's of ram nothing improved...

'Nothing improved' was just the begin of my worries! the computer got worse! While playing flightsim, my comp often malfunctioned and restarted... Complaining that system run out of ram!!!???

I was under the impression that i upgraded it!! Laughing

So... Here's the question:

why doesn't it work? Is it because 2 slots read 256 and 1 slot 512?

Or is it the different makes of the ram sticks that seemed to upset my computer?

I checked everything! All sticks are compatible with the motherboard (33 Mhz Pc2700)

So nothing's the problem there... I think.... should I install two RAM sticks of the same speed? (2x 512)

Does anyone know what's eating my computer? Question

thanks in advance

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

99jolegg,
The new ram you want to buy has to be exactly the same in all things, speed etc. as the old that you are now using. EXCEPT that the new is 512 and the old is 256mb, that can be the only difference.
Use Belarc or go to www.pcpitstop.com to see exactly what you have and what new ram you need. I don't know why you settled on PC3200, does that match?
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Some small shops will buy your old ram, not to much $ but better than nothing.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

boomshiko,
The same goes for you, it has to be identical to the 2 old with the exception of 256mb and 512mb.
Put the 512mb in the first slot.
To me it sounds like you bought a stick of ram that's slower or faster that the old and it's the only one running now, the others will catch up in speed. The ram if mixed will always run as fast as the slowest stick.
Do you want to buy 2 512mb, that would be perfect if they are the same.
You can run http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html also to see if the three are the same.

Some small shops will buy your old ram, not to much $ but better than nothing.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
boomshiko Trainee

I checked them again... and every stick has got identical speeds
Al are: PC2700 333Mhz...

Are you saying I can't mix 512 and 256?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

333Mhz = PC2700

You can mix 256Mbs with 512Mbs or even a 1Gig stick.Just make sure they are the same speed ie PC2700(333Mhz)
If you fitted higher speed sticks they will revert to the slower speed of 333

You may have to read up on your mobo as to which slot the higher capacity stick slots in(or trial and error)for best performance

Try the larger stick in slot 1 (nearest the CPU)

Pro Member Chief Captain

Aaaaah thanks a lot everyone. I finally understand now!! Thanks a lot all Cheers! . I'll stop pestering y'all now! Thanks again Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your not pestering us, adding ram after the fact in an older machine is always complex but do-able.
Good luck with it.

Radar