Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

A couple of questions.

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

1. At what time exactly must you apply spoilers when landing?

2. What's ususally the cruising altitude and cruise speed of the
Boeing 737-400?

3. Is the noise of the engines of a Boeing louder in the cockpit then
in the passanger cabin?

4. What's the taxiing speed of a 737-400?

5. For how long should you hold a flare of a 737-400, if you get the
question?

6. Are the routes of a 737-400 (and the other Boeings) always
direct?

7. Do you know the answers? Very Happy

I asked about the noise of the engines because it's quiet when you fly in a real airplane (we're talking about Boeings), but the higher you go you need a higher power settings, so instead of noticeable reducing power from 90 to 55 - 60 percent, you have to keep it a little below 90. I've barely ever tried going higher then 25000 feet.

Now, as about the question number 6. I don't think I've ever flown in a passanger jet that kept turning left and right in order to track VORs, but however, in FS2004 there's this London to Paris flight where you must track VORs. I don't really get it.

Hope you can help! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks!

crosscheck9 Guest

1. When on Approach, I apply them at around 5000ft to slow my aircraft down quickly. it takes maybe 45 seconds, and the aircraft will nose up, but thats O.K. Then I arm the spilers (Shift + /) so that when I touch down, they will automatically deploy.

2. In 737, I usually cruise at 33000ft at 0.78 mach.

[b]3. I'm not sure, Im not a real pilot...sorry

4. In 737, I taxi at around 16 kts, but I turn at 10 kts.

5. I normally hold the flare, until I hear the wheels touch, and then I rotate downwards at a rate of 3 degrees per second

6. Routes are almost never direct. When you fly london to new york for example, the reason you create the big arch, is to spend less time over treacherous water, which could decrease the chances of survival when a plane is forced to ditch...(im assuming)

7. Lets hope so.

You'll never have a boeing or any jet ( i think ) cruise at 55-60% N1 in regular weather conditions. I normally have my power setting at or around 90% in heavies, and around 70 percent in the smaller jets. I also think that most airlines tend to have their pilots fly above 30000 ft, for reasons unknown to me.

Before a flight, the airline will arrange a group of people, who set certain waypoints and so on, which direct the aircraft, slightly off it's default course. Most of the time, this is due to traffic reasons or harsh weather indications. If you pay close attention in different phases of flight, you'll see that the aircraft does indeed turn in midflight, you just dont feel it cause its so smooth, (if you have a good pilot...Smile ).

I hope this helps. BTW, if anyone sees anything wrong with this post, please correct me. I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks and HAPPY FLYING

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

Thanks a lot!
It helped!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,
1. I apply the spoilers when I land.

2. Same as crosscheck

3. It wouldn't be any louder in the cockpit, if anything, it might be quieter as you are further away from the engines.

4. The max taxi speed is 25 knots, turning at 15 knots.

5. Never flare too early, or you will lose speed and perform a hard landing. Make sure you only flare about 50 feet above runway so you glide on to the runway.

6. Crosscheck has the right answer, but when you fly from London to NY, they do the big arch, because it is actually quicker due to the curvature of the earth. Clever eh?

Hope it helps
Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

If you "arm" the spoilers,they will auto deploy when appling reverse thrust

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Unless I have to descend at more than 2500fpm I never use the spoilers on app. I extend the flaps progressivly as I follow the glideslope down to the rnwy. By the time I'm over the fence I've slowed from 250 kts to 150 kts. I do arm the spoilers for landing. As for cruise, I cruise anywhere from 31000'to 39000' at .8-.82 mach depending on routing and weather. At cruise speed the N1 is around 75%. On landing I flare at about 75' above the rnwy and let it settle.

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

how do you arm the spoilers? I've never really used them. I use the breaks instead. Do pilots use the breaks to slow down on the runway or are they just there for emergency situations?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

They use brakes and spoilers and reverse thrusters to slow the plane on the runway. To arm them press SHIFT + /

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

Thanks!!!!! Very Happy Razz

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I use thrust reversers only, unless I'm on a short rnwy, or if I want to make a close turnoff to a taxiway . I use the brakes at or below 40 kts.