Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Flight Sim Commander 7

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hey all,

The-GPS-Kid invested in his latest bit of kit yesterday!

Now although my set-up is well stocked (I'm lucky enough to have a good PC, a super Multi-Media sound system, a Yoke, LOT's of add-ons, etc), I'd never yet tried any add-on FLIGHT PLANNING software....

....and Microsoft's standard Flight Planner was starting to feel restrictive (mainly because, although there is a facility to delete waypoints that are generated, there is no facility to add any waypoints manually!).

I've read a lot of people on here talking about add-on Flight Planning software, mainly FS Navigator.

So I took the plunge, and yesterday I received the boxed CD version (published by Aerosoft) of Flight Sim Commander 7.

As well as the published CD version, the add-on is available via direct download from the developer, at www.fscommander.com

So what do you get :-

- You get a superb Flight Planner that allows you to automatically, or manually generate a Flight Plan (or even a combination of auto and manual).

- Your plan can use Jet Airways, Victor Airways, Navaid - Navaid, direct GPS.... and unlike the standard FS planner, a COMBINATION OF ALL OF THESE !

- SIDs and STARs can be entered into the Flight Plan.

- Departure and Arrival procedures for each Runway can be viewed or printed.

- Your Flight Plan is displayed on a superb, comprehensive Map, showing all Airways, Navaids, Airports etc. The Map is a lot easier to navigate around, and a lot more comprehensive and graphic than the standard FS Planner.

- You get a Fuel Planner, based on Aircraft type... and unlike the FS Nav Log, it tells you the CORRECT amount of fuel you need for your flight !

- You get a GPS screen that displays lots of GPS derived information.

- Best bit of all is tat these super comprehensive flight plans can be saved into the standard location that FS read flight plans from and as such can be imported and used directly by FS (which is quite clever considering FS can't generate plans this complex or varied).

Now all of the above is FAB, and I had a big grin when I first used the Flight Planner....

The not so good bit is that the product markets itself as being able to connect to FS and that the GPS and Moving Map can be displayed in real time along with FS.

But when you read the small print, this can NOT be done in Full Screen Mode. So, whereas it does connect to FS (and the moving Map shows all AI traffic in an Air Traffic Controller type display - very flash!), if you want to use Full Screen (I couldn't use anything else personally), you will need to keep the Moving Map and GPS in the background and will need to fully 'switch' between FS and FS Commander 7, to toggle between viewing both.

Despite this constraint, this is an EXCELLENT piece of software that really enhances the enjoyment of setting up your plan, and of monitoring your route and progress en-route.

Highly recommended for those who don't yet have an add-on Flight Planner. If you have FS Navigator you would probably want to compare the feature lists.

GPS KID ALTITUDE SCORE: FL360 / FL400

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Wow, you ought to go into advertising! Nice pitch.

It sounds interesting, but i'm waiting for the FSPassengers to come out, that'll be my newest pay addon i believe. Cool

Good marketing son.

I'll buy one

take care of yourself

MR GPS (Dad) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Wow, you ought to go into advertising! Nice pitch.

It sounds interesting, but i'm waiting for the FSPassengers to come out, that'll be my newest pay addon i believe. Cool

Hey FEM. Remember me? Laughing Just kidding.
What's the bewsite for the FSPassengers? I've read that post but I can't find it. And I'm lazy now to make a search.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I'd probably GUESS it'd be www.fspassengers.com

Razz that's the website.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Oh, Thanks. That's an interesting addon, isn't it?