autopilot

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

How often do real world pilots use their autopilot?

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

most airlines require, or at least recommend AP usage above a certain altitude. usually like 3,000ft

Pro Member Chief Captain

I sometimes on short flights will not use autopilot at all unless I gotta go to the pot or get a drink. It gets boring when you leave it on for a while. What is fun is a have my computer and a small screen TV all in the same room.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Yeah, i'm set up in the basement, which sucks in the winter cause it's cold as all heck down here, but I've got the PC and my GameCube down here.

I nearly always have flights over 2 hours, so AP for me is second nature

Pro Member Chief Captain

I prefer to make short flights in like the MD-80s and 737s. I like fast planes. I will sometimes fly across the Atlantic and get popcorn and watch a movie. That way I can acknowledge handoffs and monitor engines.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I am a long-haul man. I love the heavies like A340 (-200, -300, -500, -600) and A330. But I have more hours on medium and short hauls. Ok, I like to fly short, medium, and long hauls. I mostly use Airbus aircraft. Sometimes I use Boeing with long-haul. I like all of the Airbus aircraft and that's what I use to fly.

Concerning the topic about autopilot I engage it at about 2000 ft or 3000 ft. I disengage (is the spelling right?) it at about 1000 ft AGL.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I always use the AP in the heavies. I hand fly the takeoff, and a good portion of the climb. I also hand fly the approach and landing. That's the way the real airline pilots do it. In the small stuff I will use the AP if the flight will be more than a half hour, or if the visibility is low i.e. IFR.

Pro Member Chief Captain

OK. Thanks for all your guys replys.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...