Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

ILS Approches / Runway headings!

Pro Member Trainee
Grant319 Trainee

I need some help. How do you use ANY approach feature? I don't know what an ILS is, and what the other approach is. I have a hard time figuring out which way the runway is facing, and how to land accurately. I never get clearance and I always do it wrong. Is there a way to autopilot in? I'm new to simulator, so you may have to start from the beginning! Anyway, also, ATC is always stating "Altitude 2996." What does this mean? They say it all the time, no matter my actual altitude.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

This was an earlier post on the subject you are looking for. https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/4347/for-fem/

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Grant.

I need some help. How do you use ANY approach feature? I don't know what an ILS is, and what the other approach is. I have a hard time figuring out which way the runway is facing, and how to land accurately. I never get clearance and I always do it wrong. Is there a way to autopilot in? I'm new to simulator, so you may have to start from the beginning! Anyway, also, ATC is always stating "Altitude 2996." What does this mean? They say it all the time, no matter my actual altitude.

I think you should maybe review some of the articles in the Learning section.

first, ATC is not telling you your altitude is 2996. What you are hearing is the barometric pressure in inches of mercury.
ATC will say 'Altimeter 29.92

Once you read a bit, and you understand how to use the AutoPilot you can try flying IFR flight plans. Then, like FEM mentioned in his howto, you can let ATC vector you in to where you get established on the localizer and then use your instruments and AutoPilot to guide your airplane down to the runway...

It's a flight simulator, not MechWorrior....
It takes some reading and it takes a lot of practice... Read

Last edited by Michael_H on Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain

You should also go through the flying lessons. One lesson will go over your question.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I'm SO glad Michael H caught this, I've been in a terrible mood....He's entirely right, go through the lessons and read up in the learning center, it's the best way.

Grant3192 Guest

I already know how to use the autopilot. I just don't quite understand the approaches. That's all, but thanks for your help anyway. Does anyone know the specific location in the lessons the autopilot approaches are locatred? I can't find them, that's why I posted. Much thanks in advance...

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Grant,

In MyPilot's post above, he gives a link to another thread where Fire Emblem Master explains how to program the ILS frequency of your runway into the NAV 1 radio for an autopilot approach.

Remember that airport runways are named after their compass headings. The number is the first two digits of a compass direction rounded to the nearest 10 degrees. Runway 26 faces to 260 degrees.

If you go into the learning center in FS9 you will see some thumbnails. Scroll down to the one called 'AutoPilot'
It explains everything.

Try it, and if you have a specific problem with it come back.

Pro Member Trainee
Grant319 Trainee

I cannot get my Radio stack up? I've triued shift 1-9, and almost everything else! Where is it located, or how do you get it to appear in the LearJet. Also, what does it mean when ATC says expect vector to ILS approach?

Guest Ed Guest

In the Lear, the radio stack is always displayed, there is no shift+key to bring it up. It's that bunch of green numbers and buttons to the right of center on the instrument panel. Just dial in the frequencies you want.

When ATC says that, it means you should expect vectors (headings and altitudes to fly) to the ILS approach they name.

And just a suggestion: learn how to do this stuff in a Cessna before you go flying around in jet-- you'll make few smoking holes in the ground that way.

Now go through the flight lessons and read the Learning Center. 😉

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

The Learjet panel has the radio stack up by default..

ATC is telling you to expect them to give you directions to your approach..Continue on with the last ATC directions and they will give you vectors to the approach later.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

You beat me to it Ed,

good work... 😎

Guest Ed Guest

Michael_H wrote:

You beat me to it Ed,

good work... 😎

Only because I didn't take time to post a screenshot! 😂

Ed

Do I use com 1 or com 2?

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Do I use com 1 or com 2?

What do you mean? Are you talking about communications or using the NAV radios for navigation? ie: tracking VOR courses, ILS localizer, or GPS waypoints?

For communications, you can use either COM 1 or COM 2 or both (If you want to transmit on one, and listen to both)

Pro Member Chief Captain

YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

I've been in a terrible mood

Feeling better today FEM I hope.... 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeah, i guess knowing i only have till thursday for schoolk then a 4 day weekend helps out 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain

I only get a 3 day weekend. I had a 3 day weekend last week though.

Grant3191 Guest

I just found the approaches in t flight lessons. I couldn't find it before. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. I take my real-word first flight on Saturday! Whoo Hoo!

Pro Member Trainee
Grant319 Trainee

I just tried to use the approach switch in autopilot, and the aircraft kept doing circles in the air, about one mile from San Digeo (John Wayne) Airport. What gives?

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

I just tried to use the approach switch in autopilot, and the aircraft kept doing circles in the air, about one mile from San Digeo (John Wayne) Airport. What gives?

Which aircraft are you flying?
How far out were you when you engaged approach mode?
Were you lined up with the runway?
What was your altitude/speed when you engaged approach mode?
Did you program your Nav radio with the appropriate ILS runway frequency?

Don Wood Guest

You may have a larger problem than settings. John Wayne airport is not at San Diego.

To have the SIM autopilot capture and fly the approach, you need:

1. NAV1 tuned to the correct ILS frequency
2. Be at an altitude slightly below the glide slope. It won't capture correctly from above.
3. Be flying either on or toward the final approach course with an intercept angle of 90 degrees or less (i.e., if you're flying an approach to runway 18, you should be flying toward that course on a heading between 181 and 269 degrees if approaching from the eastern quadrant or 090 to 179 degrees if approaching from the west).
4. You should be navigating so as to intercept the ILS from outside the outer marker. Usually about 10 miles from the runway is a good approach point in slower aircraft and 15-20 miles in faster ones.
5. Be sure that the NAV Flag is not displayed. If it is, either you don't have the NAV1 radio tuned correctly or you are too far from the airport to receive the ILS signals. Within 20 miles DME should work fine.

Guest Ed Guest

Don Wood wrote:

You may have a larger problem than settings. John Wayne airport is not at San Diego.

You beat me to it, Don. No wonder he can't pick up the John Wayne localizer if he's in San Diego!!

Grant319, as Don says, you need to be A LITTLE closer than that. 😉

Ed