SearchSearch 

Aircraft leveling or lining up with the runway

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

I know this is a kind of n00bish question, but what do you expect from a beginner. OK, I had the landing flying lesson and it was quite helpful, but it only showed the basics of just taking an aeroplane to the ground and the speed and things like that. But it didn't mention anything about leveling up or lining up with a runway so you can hit it exactly in the centre.

What tool can you actually use to line up with a runway, when I land most of the times, I normal land a bit more to the left or right, or I don't land on the runway at all. Is the GPS radar the tool for this?

Thanks a lot to anyone who helps. 🙂

16 Responses

Pro Member First Officer

And also I have one more question. The runways in FS2004 look REALLY bad. They look all messed up, not clear and they looks like pieces of black rock scattered on them and it's not very please. They also look like they have black patches of pain everywhere. I am really not impressed by this. I changed all the display options to high and its still very...disturbing.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 with 128mb memory, is that what's causing this? And also the graphics in the game look much wose than the screenshots I have seen on this website.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

As for the runways you can read this post, I just added it and it looks great.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/4758/airport-environment-upgrade-7/

Your card the FX 5200 is going towards the lower end, you can use the search here and find many complaints about graphics and that card.
Do the best you can do with it if replacing it now is not an $ option.
Sometimes older drivers work better with and older card, check with TTT he's the resident expert on NVIDIA, I use ATI.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks. I just installed it right now. Do you know which part of the graphics card is the main problem, is it the 5200 or the 128mb part? And also could you please answer my first landing question (don't if you don't want to).

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

A good 128mb card will give you excellent graphics, the 5200 isn't one of them, its an older model. It works, it's better than an integrated card but I wouldn't suggest to anyone to buy one.

Your question, it's not that I don't want to answer it, I can't. I never took a lesson.
I fly tail-draggers by GPS and compass. I'm in it for the "fly by the seat of your pants" flying.
Yes I land at airports, but on roads and fields also.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

What tool can you actually use to line up with a runway, when I land most of the times, I normal land a bit more to the left or right, or I don't land on the runway at all. Is the GPS radar the tool for this?

Practice using AutoPilot 'APP' mode which will lock on to the localizer and keep you on the centerline. This, provided you do the reading in the learning center which relates to using the radios and the autopilot, and you get yourself set up correctly as far as altitude, speed, etc. Ths will give you a feel for good approaches while freeing you up to study the approach, rate of decent etc.

Other than that, it's practice, practice, practice.. Remember, this is a flight simulator; it is complex, but well worth the effort to master it all.

Thanks. I just installed it right now. Do you know which part of the graphics card is the main problem, is it the 5200 or the 128mb part?

Well it is definitely not the 128 mb of video memory on the card.. RadarMan was telling you that the FX5200 is actually a pretty weak card for this simulator. He is quite right..
But post the rest of your computer specs, then it will be easier to tell what sort of performance you should expect (aproximate) from your machine.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks for the info. My system specs are
512mb or RAM
3.16GHz Processor
80GB of Space
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics card

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello twistedsucker. I can help you with your landing question.

First of all, let me introduce you to the super, easy-to-read and understand guide of the skillful Fire_Emblem_Master:

THIS IS FOR IFR FLIGHT!

1. When ATC says something liek "WifeBeater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and mantain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockipt. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (thes are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list untill you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. FInd 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the righmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clickin it. Press the button that looks like thsi somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the LearJet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually Heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the directon and atitude of the pink arrows intull they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you wanna use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

Copyrights of Fire_Emblem_Master ® All rights Reserved ® Do not photocopy ( 😂 ) ©

I'm just kidding. Anyway, Fire_Emblem_Master should get an award for this guide. It helps a lot.

Well, this is your first step. There are different approaches that you can make to a runway: ILS, VOR, NDB ADF, GPS, and visual approach. I'm going to talk about the ILS approach, since Fire_Emblem_Master's guide refers to it.

When you are approaching the airport and before you contact with the Tower, you can do two different things:

1. Use the App. mode in the autopilot, so the autopilot makes the shoots the approach for you and you don't have to move a finger. Well, actually you do have to move your fingers. You need to control the speed and flaps, landing gears, autobrakes, etc. But the approach is perfomed entirely by the autopilot. To land, just disengage the App. mode, switch off the Auto Throttle an other switches if you want, and land the plane manually. That's what I usually do. But is good practice to perform a hand-approach. I've been using the App. mode since last week, hehe. I wanted to use it and that's what I'm doing now. But I also perform hand-approaches, which I'd recommend you to learn it. This points comes to the second option.
Note: To use the App. mode you should have to se the NAV/GPS switch to NAV and you also should have the ICAO code of the airport in your GPS.

2. Don't use the App. Mode and do the approach manually. I know this is hard but you just need to practice, practice, and practice.
Before approaching the airport, you should tune the ILS frequency of the runway in. That means, set the ICAO code of your destination airport, go to the frequencies page and find your ILS (or whatever approach you use) frequency. You should set the right frequency. Example: you are going to land on runway 09, look to the ILS 09 frequency.
After that, set that frequency into the radio stack and turn on the Nav 1 or 2. Also check the MRK (marker) button, which is going to make sounds when you pass through different markers, like OM, IM, and MM. Then, arm the spoilers, set the flaps, retract the landing gear and set the autobrakes.
After this, all you have to do is look at Fire_Emblem_Master's ILS guide. That would help you. Start turning towards the runway heading and try to have glide slope and the localizer needles in the center. If you have both needles in the center your are right on the altitude and heading. Just keep this and land manually.

That's it. Was it easy? Complicated? Boring? Did you get tired reading all this? I know, it's long, but helpful.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Oops! I took too long writing my post and you already have the answer. But I think that my post will also help you. I hope so.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

That was a very good post Agus,

a great extension to 'WifeBeater 767'

also, thanks RadarMan for the AEU7 link, didn't know about that..Great improvement to the default runway textures.... 👏

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Thanks for the info. My system specs are
512mb or RAM
3.16GHz Processor
80GB of Space
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics card

Twistedsucker,

You have a very powerful system there,

the two things that would make a big difference to the flight sim performance would be:

a better video card as mentioned above, and doubling the memory to 1024 mb.

Pro Member Chief Captain

This is going to be my guide now, but I need FEM's permission to use his ILS guide. I think that my guide could help the people who wants to know how to land or line up with the runway. This is the future 😂

And yes, AEU7 is a very good addon for every airport.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Thank 👍 you gents for bailing me out and I'm glad you like the new textures as much as I do.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks a lot for your wonderful guide to landing an aeroplane, it's fantastic! And also thanks Micheal for informing me on which hardware I need updated. 🙂 . I might be getting a new graphics card soon.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

. I might be getting a new graphics card soon.

Come back when you are ready to buy Twisted sucker and get some advice.
There are lots of people here who can advise you on video cards.

It's a very confusing market..

Pro Member First Officer

Yep. When I am ready to buy, this is the first place I'll come for some advice and recommendations and suggestions. You can never not get a question answered here. 🙂 😀 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

We are all here to help everyone.