Long Haul laziness

Pro Member Trainee
redjay Trainee

I love doing long haul flights but i have one big problem. i cant be bothered sitting all the way thru a 12 hour flight (even on 8x simulation). i have set my autopilot to follow gps so i dont have to adjust heading during cruising however the atc handovers are a nuisance as if u dont follow them manually, you lose your ifr clearance. this means i cant watch tv or go and make a drink without losing my flight plan! is there any way of getting the autopilot to manually follow atc regional handovers so that i dont have to sit at my comp for every one???

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I had the same problem, so I didn't open an IFR flight plan until later when I was near landing. File a flight plan before take off, follow orders and headings etc and then cancel it at desired altitude, file another one when you are descending, or are close to descending. This means you can leave it overnight like flying EGLL to YSSY, like I do. 😀 😀

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I even do it on simple coast-to-coast flights here in the US. One note though, when you're ready to sit back down again and file the IFR...make sure when it asks you if you'd like to move the aircraft to the start-location you click NO! I can't tell you guys how many times I've reset flights like that. I have to recite CLICK NO to myself the whole time i'm sending my flight plan. But hopefully no one's as absent minded as myself!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

redjay wrote:

I love doing long haul flights but i have one big problem. i cant be bothered sitting all the way thru a 12 hour flight (even on 8x simulation). i have set my autopilot to follow gps so i dont have to adjust heading during cruising however the atc handovers are a nuisance as if u dont follow them manually, you lose your ifr clearance. this means i cant watch tv or go and make a drink without losing my flight plan! is there any way of getting the autopilot to manually follow atc regional handovers so that i dont have to sit at my comp for every one???

What I do is when I want to go do something else. I wait for the next ATC handoff and don't contact the next ATC station until I am about 200 nms out. Excellent sollution! 😀

Pro Member Trainee
siron Trainee

All that you guys are refering to a offline flight, if its online flight! hahaha you have to contact ATC should he ask you to! 🙂

Guest Ed Guest

originalgrunge wrote:

I even do it on simple coast-to-coast flights here in the US. One note though, when you're ready to sit back down again and file the IFR...make sure when it asks you if you'd like to move the aircraft to the start-location you click NO! I can't tell you guys how many times I've reset flights like that. I have to recite CLICK NO to myself the whole time i'm sending my flight plan. But hopefully no one's as absent minded as myself!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only who's made that little mistake. Embarassed "Sorry folks, I know we were ALMOST to London, but now we're back on the ground in New York. Please return your tray tables to the full and upright position for takeoff, and we'll try again." 😂

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
MRGPS Trainee

To be frank, I really do not see the point doing long haul flights where you have to leave it overnight. what 's the point?

Both long and short haul flights consists of:---

Taxi, takeoff, climb, navigate,cruise,decend,approach,final,flare,land.

Can anyone please tell me what I am missing in long haul flights where I have to leave the sim on while I hit the sack.

Is it just me?

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

MRGPS wrote:

Can anyone please tell me what I am missing in long haul flights where I have to leave the sim on while I hit the sack.

Is it just me?

Lack of imagination... 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Well if I was the Captain of an aircraft and could wander off and leave it to do its thing I would be off interferring with the Air Hostesses

Twisted Evil

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Honestly, you're not missing a lot, just watching dials go around...it's the honest truth, even though I still do it, that's all you really do...that and yak to ATC

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well if I was the Captain of an aircraft and could wander off and leave it to do its thing I would be off interferring with the Air Hostesses

Sexual harrasment in the workplace results in IMMEDIATE termintation

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Sexual harrasment in the workplace results in IMMEDIATE termintation

Yur but it isn't classed as harassment if the other party condones the interference is it? 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

what can i say...ya got me 😛

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

When I was new to the Sim world my main goal was to just takeoff, fly fairly short routes and then get the fun of landing. Now, I mainly do long to medium hauls. The long haul is the best and the most fun. PHNL to Tahiti. Recently I did a round the world trip and it was the best and most rewarding experience I have had yet in FS9.

If you all have not checked out the airport at Kuala Lumpur or Muscat-Oman you ain't lived in sim yet. Going around the world on long hauls forces one to watch the world unfold before them. It also ensures that, if you are committed to going forward, you will see the places that you would never have seen otherwise just choosing willy-nilly what you feel like doing and where you feel like going. Tripping on the long haul puts the sim in control which is probably closer to what real-worlder's must feel at most times.

Long live, Long haul!! 🙂

Just wondering, how do you create a flight plan around the world, your leaving one airport and flying righ back to it. How does the flight planner plan that stuff?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

OK. Fill out all the information. Click on find route. Click OK. It will then ask you if you want to move your aircraft to the selected location. Click on yes. There it is.

Guest Ed Guest

Anonymous wrote:

Just wondering, how do you create a flight plan around the world, your leaving one airport and flying righ back to it. How does the flight planner plan that stuff?

I'm just doing it one leg at a time, flying VFR and using GPS, and not using the Flight Planner at all. I just scroll across the map and say, "Well, I think I can get THERE on a tank of gas," and put it into the GPS. Then I can see what is the actual mileage, and if that airport is too far away, I'll pick another one that's closer. I don't like to be too strict about.

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

Guest,

No not really. Can be as simple as departing from your home airport by IFR to a pre-planned destination and enjoying the leg. Save flight when you are at the gate at you destination once you have had time to look around (take a bus or car trip around the area or airport). Then start up the next day where you left off via saved flight. same gate same everything. Just plan your next IFR flight outta there and fill w/Jet A or fuel/petrol and off you go again. No real need to complicate it as you can choose where ever YOU want to go. That's one of the things I like about World travel.

On my world trip I was going to visit Bangkok, Thailand but diverted and changed my Flight Plan enroute and re-routed to Kuala Lumpur instead and I am glad that I did that as I was going to pass it right by at flt. lvl. 30000+ and never would have seen it. -It is wicked to land there at night bro! 🙂 I do not know which traffic addon you have but when I got there, I saw the largest fleet of B 747's I have seen in FS. Totally unexpected. Malaysian B747-400 LR's lined up on the hardstands like at a military base. Very cool to see that many 47's. Must have been 20-30 of them parked next to each other 1/2 glowing w/ their nav lights on. many many others parked in formation also about to depart for the haul across the Indian and Pacific Oceans.

I went on to Sri Lanka, Male, Maldieves, Muscat, Baghdad, ( I made my approach & departure with no lights!), Tel Aviv, Athens, Rome, Paris, London-heathrow. rested up a bit and headed back across the Atlantic Ocean. --Just an example of a way of hopping across the world via FS.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...