Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Level-D 767's release!

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I come bearing great news! The official forums for their 767 are officially open!!! The beta testers just recieved the gold edition today, and should they find no flaws, it will be released for download TOMMOROW, the 26th!!!

I don't know about you guys, but I've been anticipating this since I heard that there was a new 767 in production! Happy flying!

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Fantastic! Will prob download it next week when I have some time to give it some serious attention !

Let us know if you get it.

Pro Member Captain

I've just been offered the CAT 4 checkride with UAL, which would officially let me fly 767/757, if I pass, so Level D released this JUST in time!

It just came out today with a VERY reasonable price tag on it, and I'm in mid download now! Once I give this a week of flying I'll post my review.

Pro Member Captain

So my first impression is WOW.

I thought I knew realism, having flown with SSW's A310, PSS's A320, and PMDG's 737, but man, nothing really holds a candle to this. The startup procedure (set to cold and dark and with fully realistic features) takes a MINIMUM of 15 minutes to set up, and that's only if you finally have a groove to it!

The visual models are absoultly stunning (with a fully clickable VC) without dropping the frame rates! I've actually been able to fly this smoother than the PMDG, whether in external, VC, or 2d mode.

It also takes the concept of "flight crew" to an entirely un-heard-of level. The ground crew is FULLY INTERACTIVE, where you can have full vocal interations from connecting ground air/electrical, to pushback, to repairing malfunctions, etc. The stewardess (and not some cheezy voice, but an incredibly realistic likeness) has her own intercom system, from which she can contact you about any in flight details, if it is time to close the doors, and when the passengers / crew are fully seated. The first-officer not only has a completely different perspective and panel easily accessible, but can be selected on approach / departure to adjust flap settings, gears, MCP altitude, etc. Most of these interactions come in the form of a polite pop-up menu too!

The systems/dependencies are about as real as I've ever seen, and I can't wait until I complete my first long range flight in her! I'll update you more with the flight dynamics!

Needless to say, this was worth the wait.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Clapping I like the look of that(d/loading now)

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=ld767

Pro Member Captain

Awwwww ! What a pain in the a*s the downloading procedure is - to cut a long story short I was on for hours trying to download last night but my problem is that my Internet PC (that I'm on now posting this) is downstairs but my FS PC is upstairs and is permanently off-line, and this makes it impossible to download the 767 as the target PC needs to be on-line to complete the payment transaction.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Mad Sad

Sounds absolutely fab - looks like I'll have to wait yonks until a boxed version is out ! Sad

At lease O/Grunge and TTT will be masters by then and can teach my how to fly this new baby !

Pro Member Trainee
siron Trainee

I think the price tag is kinda high

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Confused GPS Im not sure but when d/load was complete or when payment had made(cant remember as I was polishing that wooden spoon Wink ) there was an option to d/load a second pc license ,which I think lets you copy the prog over

Its a great model to fly and the flight managment system is more or less the same as the PMDG(and Im still struggling with that Rolling Eyes )
Good sound files,pilot calls and cabin crew calls,just a pity it only has one paint job, (LevelD) though there are about 25 repaints to d/load

A nice litle load manager which can be accessed from outside of fs9 and a repaint installer(just as well,to get rid of the standard paint job)

Now then................. where is that wood polish Twisted Evil

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I have done the necessary and downloaded it....done a few quick flights and after waiting some time for a 767 I am not thrilled. It is good don't get me wrong but not enough to tempt me away from the PSS320. Not sure why I am as happy as the above posters but after all the hype I am simply not blown away. Crying or Very sad When's the next one out!

Pro Member Captain

Thanks for the advice TTT - I decided to take the easy option and I ferried my "FS" PC down 2 floors, plugged it into my new Broadband connection and downloaded !

Well firstly, I aint flown this bird yet, just taken a look around the Panel and stuff.

I was shocked to see there were no liveries supplied ! But a visit to www.levelDsim.com, and a quick registration led me to the forum, where a collection of around 20 great liveries are included for installation via the Repaint Manager.

Ok so my first impression is that the main 2D panel has too much crammed in! It's hard to read a lot of the words - I had to refer to the manual to see what the light switches were at the front of the Overhead Panel (the text was just too small to read).

I also can't find "Seat Belts" and "No Smoking" signs buttons. Can you point them out guys ?

I noticed the same as you TTT - the FMC does function almost the same as the PMDG model - yet it is completely different in build and visuals, so thats a credit to both developers (Level D and PMDG) as they have done their own version of these similar FMC units and both reflect the units well.

The interaction with the Crews is fab, and really quite unique.... I just got to get her into the sky now! (Flying her tonight).

First impression for me is that - bearing in mind that 2D panels are my first priority - the 2D Panel is not as "polished" as the PSS and PMDG offerings... however, the MCP (AutoPilot) seems really well simulated, as do the FMC all of the key systems....

So too early to judge for me, but at the moment it looks like this will be great for the Airline sim stuff that I love, with interaction with the F/O, Flight Attnts, Ground, etc.... but I'm not sure if it will get as many hours as those gorgeous PSS A319 or PMDG 737NG panels !

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

You will find the "no smoking" on the OVHD right of centre near the fuel pumps if memory serves me correctly! I think you summed up why I dislike the 767 in your post GPS....does not have the look of a real FD where the PSS320 is aesthetically (sp?) pleasing.

Pro Member Captain

You'll find the fasten-seatbelts as a rotating knob just below the flight crew interaction buttons. It's in the 2nd column from the right in the overhead display.

The reason why the panel looks so blurry (especially in text) is because apparently it was designed with resolutions higher than 1024x768 in mind. That doesn't seem very logical to me, but it still works well in that mode anyway.

I admit that that panel does seem overwhelming (thankfully they included the less complex F/O panel!), but from photos they do seem to be pretty true to the real thing. Going through the checklist in the last 10 or 15 pages of the manual really helped though, because they encourage you to develop a logical flow to decipher the jam-packed forward and overhead panel. They go from the upper left of the overhead, down each column, and then from right to left across the front panel. It really helps.

I agree with you about the staying power of PMDG and PSS though. This is an incredible addon, certainly one that I will fly regularly, but both the flights required and the attention demanded to the complex systems mean I have to give up much more time and effort than any flights in a 737 or A320. I found after my first 6 hour flight with this that I was pretty tired as though I had really flown it!

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Shocked Have you had a listen to it from idle to full power from outside Crying or Very sad Will see if I can get rid of that and let you know

The cabin crew calls seem to activate when it wants to(maybe because Ive only flown short hops so far)and do I realy care if the passengers are feeling cold up the front Laughing give them a blanket just dont bother me to go looking for the heating switch Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Captain

Ok, just in the middle of my first flight.....

FIRST BIG QUESTION FOR CLEVER PEOPLE LIKE TTT OR O/GRUNGE !

- How do you turn off the Audio Nav Beeps ?

So first impressions;

- The 3D cockpit is by far the best I've ever seen..... the view is superb and it's the first 3D cockpit where you actually get a great view out of the window. Absolutely stunning!

- I love the sound files, they are very clever. I like the "whirry" sound as they spool up, and also when the plane finished climbing, the engines really settle down and you just get the sort of wind noise that you hear in a real plane, in the cruise.

- It is hard to read a lot of the buttons and knobs.

- It took a long time for me to get the plane "Ready to Fly" from a cold, dark cockpit....With Elec, Bleed Air and fuel all established I was still having problems - every time I disconnected the Ext Power the power would die. The reason was that while connecting the Ext Power, the Ground Crew also disconnect the "Generator Drives", if you don't ask them to re-connect the Generator Drives before disconnecting Ext Power, your power will die..... Of course eacj time it happened, I had set up everything, (including the FMC) so I was not happy starting from scratch after the 5th time ! Twisted Evil Embarassed

- External model is GORGEOUS !

All round this seems a "Clever" add-on and I will certainly get to know it better.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Aaaah the dreaded beeps. Go to the pedestal (throttle quadrant) view and there is a suries of push buttons in the comms area make sure they are pressed in, dull lights should extinguish as you press. I think the ILS ident is the culprit!

Pro Member Captain

Went through my first long distance flight from SFO to HNL today. It was certainly a lot of fun! The flight model is SO steady! I taxi better in this than I do in the PMDG 737! Everything about the flight model is a pleasure. I still can't get over though how they can create a fully detailed panel with very fast refresh rates on the displays, without hitting my FPS! How did they do that?

The thing that does make me nervous though is the sound of touchdown! Everytime i come down regardless of my decent rate it sounds like i'm crashing down! I suppose I'll get used to it much like the altitude warning in the ERJ-145. (btw GPS, If you look in the "feelthere" folder in the FS main directory, you'll be able to find the wav for that altitude callout and replace it witthe one from PMDG. It is much more pleasant!)

Pro Member Captain

I'm enjoying the Level D 767 more every day !

The sound files are the best I've heard - I love the whirry spooling up of the engines!

Now that I've got my head around the sequence of events that you need to stick to with regards to the GROUND commands, I'm doing great in her!

Reconnecting the Generator Drives really caught me out and it was so frustrating spending 20 mins getting her set up (including FMC), then losing EVERYTHING when I turned off the APU ! Anyway, that's all sorted now and I agree Grunge - the flight model is amongs the most realistic I've ever flown in FS.

It's great having F/O looking after the Gear and Flaps too !