Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Another reason why I don't like flying computers....

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

So I was flying from DEN to ORD today in the PSS A320, got to the start of the JVL4 approach, and the plane just refused to turn. It ignored the flight path, and wouldn't respond to any autopilot lateral function (vertical still operating). I disengaged all the autopilot settings and such, tried to take over manual control of the plane, and this time couldn't even get it to respond to much more than vertical nudges, and no horizontal. The force feedback let me know that it was feeling my input, but doing nothing about it. The rudder was the only thing that worked. I went through all the abnormal procedures i could, tried anti-icing (even thought here was no ice), etc. etc., but coudln't get the aircraft to respond. So short of gradually flying strait until i could find an airstrip that just so happen to be lined up with my heading and position, my last resort was to just dump the flight.

I know that this is probably just a bug in the program, but I certainly don't like Airbus for this reason (I'm just bitter, so don't mind my rants too much =). At least short of a hydraulic failure, Boeing will still let you control the plane manually, without computer interference.

Well, if this was my only frustrating flight in FS all together then it'd be a miracle. Hope to see you all in the virtual sky again soon =).

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

It is so frustrating when you've commited 2 hours or so to a flight and have followed all the procedures to make it a realistic airliner simulation, then some gremlin towards the end of your flight ruins it !

You have my sympathy Grunge - been there many times.

Something similar to what happened to you here, happened to me too but it wasn't the Airbus - the advice was to re-boot and do a fresh install of my Joystick ( / Yoke), including the drivers.

There's a chance the Airbus was getting confused over a perceived failure it was trying to represent (it can get confused by loss of Pitot readings), but it's equally likely that the Gremlins were just a PC based problem that occured... (Look at me sticking up for the Airbus 😉 ).

Loss of Flight Controls via Joystick can also be caused by having Force Feedback set too high, but I gues your settings have worked fine so far so probably not that.

Whatever it was, get yourself back up in the PSS A320 and do a nice short sector (I just flew the 737-800 NG, in Delta, from Atlanta to New Orleans - nice little hop).

That will restore your faith !

Pro Member Captain

And sure enough my faith was restored! I just flew my route again and touched it down without any problems, even slightly early. LDS 767 still holds as the most steady flight model in my book, but the PSS airbus certainly pulls off the best landings!!

Pro Member Captain

Good man..... now get yourself in that 767 cockpit and get preping for a real long-hauler in her !

We want to see you over here in Europe !

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

AGAIN with PSS software messing up...............

I'll stick to my old reliable Heino 757-200 😎

Pro Member Captain

Well, I said it in the last post, and I'll say it again, I'll never fly a boeing without an FMC or an Airbus without an MCDU again! You don't understand the realism you're missing out on =).

Pro Member Captain

FEM likes his planes easy.... hehehe 😉

Your gonna have to learn your FMCs from you MCDUs and you APUs before you get to Delta Academy! 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Eh, I've got a nice realistic panel for my 757, and I'm definately not gonna plop 30 bucks down for something that may work, or might have problems.

Also, I'm not gonna be a pilot, while fun, there's not demand enough. I'm gonna teach German and english. I read a while back that there's a need for conservative teachers, and i fit the market i guess, so that's what i'll do. I'll prolly pursue a IFR rating, then maybe multi engine IFR later on.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I too have a bone to pick with airbust...I'm all of 6'3'', and when i was in one, i felt like i was trying out coffins. It was a smaller one, but it blew.

Don't confuse this with me being bitter, Unless i'm completely messed up, 99.9% of my day is spent being bitter.

Pro Member Captain

Yeah, i'm 6'3 as well, and I've always felt cramped in planes. About the only place i havn't been is in ERJ's and most of American Airline's planes. I know I fly for UVA, but in real life AA is the one for me!

Teaching german and english? That's an awesome idea. I'm still in that awkward don't-know-what-to-do-with-my-engineering-degree phase. Would it be here in the states or abroad?

Guest FEM (Skool) Guest

I'm in the states, which kinda sucks, as my fav. band is in Germany, and I gotta pay some euros for their stuff.

Pro Member Captain

Sounds like a cool plan FEM, if you were serious about teaching German, there are some countries in Africa (namely Namibia, in the gorgeous South) that were former German colonies, and where German is taught to Children as it's the "National Language of Business" there.

Very challenging place to live at times but very rewarding. Go for it,

Good luck Fella 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm happy bein in the States, but thanks for the info. I'm gonna stay mainly because I also want to be an english teacher. I was inspired by my teacher this year, the way he bases his classes are how I want mine to be.