FS 9 appears to start then shuts down...???

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

I recently upgraded my computer from Win2K to WinXP Pro. Intergrated with SP2. Along with the upgrades I bought a new 19 Flat panel Samsung SyncMaster. And to go with all of the upgrades I bought a ATI RADEON
X800Pro 256MB onboard DDR 3 RAM. This is what happens when I start flight simulator:
Flight Sim allows me to go through all of the steps, select A/P,Runways,etc...,
I download realtime weather then FLY NOW button.
Flight Sim appears to start but the sim just shuts down???
Here are the stats on my machine:
Windows XP Pro W/SP2
250 GB Harddrive
1 GB of ram
256 MB ATI Radeon X800 Pro Graphics card.

All of the fans are running for cooling I checked each one of them. This is a vast improvement over a couple of days ago when F/S would reboot my machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

The machine sounds like a beauty, unless you have a memory problem, but you would see that in other programs as well, and since it is starting you are probably OK.

Check to see if your firewall is preventing FS9 from going out and checking for weather updates. I think that happened to me a long time ago.

I doubt that it is a corrupt file, because WIN XP should tell you that a program crashed and write a log of the incident. You didn't mention that, so I assume it is not happening.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 What happens if you select a weather theme,ie do not use real weather?

Fs9 should realy fly on that PC,but have a look to see whats running in the background,just incase its causing a conflict

Pro Member First Officer

TTT, and jelami,

I would really like to see it too. I look in event viewer after the application crash and usually there is nothing there. Once in a while IE Explorer kicks out an event 1000 and 1001 and all of the yada with it too. I went to the extreme of moving the sound card just incase it was too close to the AGP for the graphics card. No difference. I beleive I read here a few weeks ago that Anti-Aliasing needed to be crankedup. Done. I go for the real weather. The only firewall that I now have is windows XP firewall. Zone Alarm Pro got in the way too much and corrupted other programs. In taskmanager there are 46 items. Nothing is repeated. Resources are 100 % avaiable. I am itching to get this thing off the ground. But I am baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I said before.

Pro Member First Officer

TTT,

I tried clear weather on the themes and I got the same thing. I am sure about one little thing. I may have to call the MB or ATI on this. The MB was only a year old Dec 04. I have updated all known drivers to BIOS and alike. Do you guys think that AGP would have an update? According to MSI (MB) manufacture I have all of the drivers. There was one thing that I tried and maybe it has corrupted my board???? I installed a G Force 6600. 256MB AGP graphics card. Could I have ruined my MB. Seriously? ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Updating mobo BIOS used to be very risky,but now all updates normally go quite smoothly
As long as when you updated the BIOS nothing untoward happened,like a power cut then you should be ok,besides if it does go wrong the PC will not boot or anything

High spec GFX cards can also have a BIOS update,so check with the makers website

Also have a look in your PCs BIOS and look for a setting which says AGP apature and make sure its set high enough (128 should be ok.......I know your card has 256,but lets start slowly)
If thats no good look for
something like "reset to default settings" and change it
Then restart the PC and see what happens

Let us know

Pro Member First Officer

TTT,

I may as well change it to 128mb. I started it out at 256 mb for the AGP apature, sorry. I think I will reinstall the drivers for the card. Then set the AGP apature at 128 as you suggest. Well, I am off to try resets again. Either I will get it working or I'll break something??? LOL

Thank you Idea Idea Idea

Pro Member First Officer

TTT and jelami,

Well I got everthing put back in formatted the hard drive, etc...I have tried running FS9 in Safe MODE. It gets just about completed and then it crashes. There is a lot of reference in MMC about fs9.exe. I have updated to the latest version 9.1 I think?? I have used the fs9.exe, and the no crack fsp.exe, same results. I am beginning to think that I will not see how my machine will perform. ANy suggestions?

Thank you,

❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

what processor and MB are you using? I didn't see that in your note.

Pro Member First Officer

2.66 GB Pentium 4. And MSI MB. I can't beleive I forgot that stuff. I did play sim today. But it would only play one of the imbedded flights. Then I made my own flight. Everything was going fine till I got the gearup. Then it just froze. The sim that is. The reason that I tried to makeup my own flight the imbedded one stopped reponding. By the way There is a post today about how large your FS9 is on your HD. Mine is 2.64 GB Size on disk 2.71 GB 38,685 files and 467 folders. Do you have anything near these numbers? I may have gottn a bad load. I know that this SIM works it has before I rebuilt my machine. Any help would be great.

❓ ❓

Thank you,

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

What else have you loaded onto the pc?ie programs as there may be a conflict

I have fs9 on a back up H/D with only thePMDG737 added and thats ➡

2.20/2.26 with 33712 files in 509 folders

Try uninstalling all of the graphics drivers (there are free progs that will remove everything) and reinstall

Pro Member First Officer

TTT,Author Message
tomthetank Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:20 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What else have you loaded onto the pc?ie programs as there may be a conflict

I have fs9 on a back up H/D with only thePMDG737 added and thats

2.20/2.26 with 33712 files in 509 folders

Try uninstalling all of the graphics drivers (there are free progs that will remove everything) and reinstall

edr1073 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.66 GB Pentium 4. And MSI MB. I can't beleive I forgot that stuff. I did play sim today. But it would only play one of the imbedded flights. Then I made my own flight. Everything was going fine till I got the gearup. Then it just froze. The sim that is. The reason that I tried to makeup my own flight the imbedded one stopped reponding. By the way There is a post today about how large your FS9 is on your HD. Mine is 2.64 GB Size on disk 2.71 GB 38,685 files and 467 folders. Do you have anything near these numbers? I may have gottn a bad load. I know that this SIM works it has before I rebuilt my machine. Any help would be great.

Thank you,

TTT,jelami

I have removed and reinstalled the drivers. I think that I may have a good one now. I loaded it lastnight, at about 01:00. On the 30 GB hard drive it seemed to work there without many conflicts but I do not have FS 9 there. I am going by how many times IE, just browsing goes down. On the 30 GB hard drive it did not go down so crossing my fingures on that one. I got the same one on the 250 GB hard drive now without any crashes in IE so far...??? I do not know why this machine is being so sensitive,...???? The driver that I think will work ok is an older version from August 25th 2004. Strange,,,??? We shall see. I either one of you guys are in the states and if you do not mind I can call you. Just email me at edkr@earthlink.net. Your email will be rejected, just ask Earthlink to allow you into my contacts.

Thank you,

Idea Idea ❗ ❗ 😂 😂

jhk Guest

Also using a PCI-express Radeon X-800, with XP-SP2, 3.4 Ghz Pentium, 1Gb memory.

FS2004 occasionally just turns the computer suddenly off! No other program does this. It gives me a shock as it all goes quiet!!!!!!!

Using latest catalyst 5.3 drivers.

Very mysterious.

Pro Member First Officer

jhk,

Yes I have the driver that was put out in August last year. It seems to work better though. Now I tried a flight from KRIC to KIAD in a beech baron 58. Take off was excellent. Climbrate was excellent. ATC told that I was 59 miles from KIAD and that I should turn right heading 320. I intiated the left turn as instructed, and the game froze. Before I bought this ATI card I tried a G Force 6600. The worse thing that I ever did. Not knocking anybody that has one but it was even worse that this one. I wonder if I didn't ruin my MB? I do not think that would happen, but I had just reinstalled XP Pro from another intergrated O/S build because I have a 250 GB hard drive and in order to read the entire disk I needed that intergrated build to be able to utilize the entire hard drive. ANyway I have updated everything that I can think of. Oh yes one other thing there was a posting here a couple of days ago maybe yesterday about settings for graphics cards, I forgot who replied for the settings. It was specific to a G Force Card. ANyway the graphics card seems to work fine with a few acceptions of course. I wonder maybe I should unistall FS and start over again? I also get a few crashes of IE? I am not sure why that happens yet. ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ed ❓

Pro Member First Officer

jhk, and all that have followed my dilema,

I researched the MS website for possible causes. There were many so I chose the one that made the most sense to me. The solution was to restart in Clean Boot Procedures. Article Q303032 The game stops responding or quits unexpextedly. So I folowed the articles recommendations. I ran the FS on a short flight under clean boot. I did run but did not finish. SO I went to article Q331796 How to perform a clean boot to prevent background from interfering with play. I started up the FS again. I flew with some minor glitches but it did fly. I thought while I am in clean boot I will uninstall and reinstall under this condition. I tried twice and I got an error from the FS install that I was out of either disc space or did not have rights to install, or something like that. ANyway I rebooted in normal mode and installed again. Keep in mine FS stopped install on its own under clean boot. I did another install downloaded the FS 9.1 and installed it and of course the NOCRACK CD for 9.1. Flew a short course from KMNI to KIAD. Excellent flight start to finish. I reviewed my flight shut down the engines . Then shut down the game. Then the game shut down and restarted my computer. I think that I am closer but not quite there yet. And of course any thing that would help I will try it. I have nothing to loose at this point.

Thank you,

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your looking to shut down all of the unimportant background programs this is supposed to be the best.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Radarman,

I don't really want to shut anything down. I am not sure what is causing the problem. I just went to the FS website to get a close discription of the problems that I have been having and in the KB it has the articles that I quoted in my posting hopefully that will help other users having simular problems.

Thank you,

jhk Guest

I always try to shut down unnecessary stuff before using FS2004. For the last couple of evenings, it's flying just fine, but shuts the computer down as I exit the program - I click on the X, itasks if I want to close, I say "yes" and as I click that it all turns off. When I restart the machine, it all starts perfectly normally - none of the "Windows has recovered from a critical error" or whatever the message is 😕

I ran ATItool to check GPU temps., and all was well. I'm fairly confident that this is an ATI video driver problem. The Creative sound drivers have been around for quite a while. I'm running TrackIR v4.0 as well - maybe that is interfering, but I seem to remember I had a shut down when I was not using that accessory.

Might have a go (again) at FSautostart or Enditall2, but one can usually disable stuff using the task manager or something like serviwin from nirsoft.

However, I'm beginning to wonder whether just shutting down stuff is a bit of a blind alley, and I'll just have to wait till the next incarnation of ATI drivers........

John

Pro Member First Officer

jhk,

John thank you for commenting on my posting. I have to hard drives on my system 1 is a 30 gb hard drive (MAXTOR) The other is a 250 GB (WESTERN DIGITAL) I have 1 GB of RAM. Windows XP Pro, with all of the Service Packs. My mother board is an MSI MS-6728 ATX Mother board Intel 865PE Neo2. AMI BIOS version 2.5 dated 9/04. I only mentioned this stuff necause today I thought that I would update the ATI graphics to the latest driver on the 30 GB hard drive. I have not updated the 250 GB yet. Anyway, when I updated all heck broke loose. I had errors out the ying yang. HP and ATI errors. You name it. That drive would not stablize. I couldn't even shut it down. It was debugging and I did not know that. It finnaly did stablize. SO I tried FS. Not a good idea. It took about three reboots and it finnaly bootedup normally not wanting to push my luck too far. I rebooted into my 250 GB. I had stability problems with it too. Remeber I did not update the drivers for ATI on this drive. I shut down. Then I took off the cover to look at the board to verify what MB I had just incase when MSI contacts me I can tell them from the board what one I have. Well, I am up and running but I am not going to start FS till MSI tells me what the problem is. According to MS I am having problems with my video driver that is why I updated to the 5.3 from 3/9/2005. MSI will probably have to do an update now I hope. Sorry to be so long winded but I need to get this dang thing working I like the sim.

Ed

Pro Member First Officer

For anyone who is interested. I have resolved my issues with FS9. Now all I have to do is get the settings for the video card tweeked. What I did was a complete format of my 30 GB hard drive. Installed Windows XP Pro. A seperate partion for FS. No programs interfer with it any more. Just thought if someone had the same issue that this would help. The 250 GB hard drive will be my storage for mp3s, etc.

❗ ❗

Ed

jhk Guest

Well, I think I now have nailed this down to the GPU heating up. When using ATITOOL, I had to run FS2004 in windowed mode so I could read the temperatures. Seemed OK (that is how I reported it earlier), but then I switched to full screen for a minute or two, then flipped back to windowed. Temps going over 70 degrees, but droppped VERY quickly in windowed mode - even with a full size window.

So, I thought I'd check the GPU in ATITOOL, and started the overclocking/heating process - and BANG - the computer shut down at about 75 degrees or so - exactly like it was doing when I started contributing to the thread. So, that's it.

I'm not sure why a temp. of about 75 (maybe a bit more) shuts the machine down, as many sources run the card much hotter. Also, what shuts it down? Is it a protection in the driver? I don't think the CPU is running too hot. I could check that - will do so later in the week.

What I am now doing, is using ATITOOL to up the video card's fan speed, and have disabled anti-aliasing in FS2004. Or I run FS2004 in windowed mode - a bit of a pity, but at least I won't damage my new computer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

jhk, If your pc is new,I would think about taking it back
Its shutting down to protect the CPU as 70 is hot
Make sure the CPU heatsink and fan are correctly rated for your CPU chip,or upgrade to a better cooling set up
I was having the same problem untill I upgraed to a huge copper heatsink and fan ➡

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/3157/cpu-temperature/

Now it never gets over 50

Gary Kerr Guest

FS 2004 requires "my computer" to point to c:\documents and settings\myID\My Documents.

Until I got FS2004 I always changed the properties of "my computer" in Explorer to c:\. I had to humor FS9 by switching "my computer" back to the default.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...