SearchSearch 

problems with my fuel

kev670 Guest

when i check my chart on my kneeboard and look at time and fuel consumption between waypoints. i usually use double the fuel that it says on the chart and it always takes me longer then it says on the chart i fly the kingair 350 for an airline and i am unable to set my fuel load reasonably accuratly can some one tell me what im doing wrong. i tried playinfg around with mixtures and things but nothing works

+

is there a difference between Knots & KIAS

3 Responses

Sam Intel Guest

Yes, there is a difference between knots and KIAS.

KIAS is the speed at which you are traveling through the air.
KIAS - knots indicated airspeed.

Knots is the actual speed that you are traveling over the ground.
knot (kt) - one nautical mile per hour (never one knot per hour), the standard unit of aviation speed measurement. One knot equals 1.1515 mph; one nautical mile equals 6,080 feet.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Don't double the fuel, that's way too much. The estimations they use in FS9 is inaccurate to a certain extent. It's close, but if you take exactly that, you will have way too little.

A good rule is to make sure you have fuel enough to get to your destination (MOST cases with me, as i fly a 757, i get a fuel estimate from 10,000lbs and up. I'll take the 10,000, plus at least 1,500lb allowance for taxi, AND, enough to fly for at least an extra 45 minutes. I also personally have a 2,000lb buffer I give myself, so as i don't exceed my fuel "Comfort zone"

In a Kingair, the same rules apply. SO if you have a estimate of 120 lbs, take around 230. Plus 45 minute reserve, and, figure out what you're comfortable with, and make yourself a reasonable "buffer" of fuel so you know you'll make it.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

KAIS is not the actual airspeed, KTAS is the actual airspeed. Indicated airspeed is just that, indicated. It can vary widely depending on altitude, air temperature, and barometric pressure. For instance; At 10000' standard conditions an IAS of 250kts is actually 288kts true. At 30000' 250kts IAS is more like 450kts true. The only time IAS is also TAS is at sea level, 59 degrees, and 29.92 on the barometer.