Importantish, any and ALL info greatly appreciated!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Hey, I jsut got my SP 2 disc from microsoft. and I think not having it is the reason i can't play Half Life 2, and I really wanna play it, but those that have it, or know info, does it cause problems? Mainly with games? I thought it did to me the first time i got it, but i'm not sure now.

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

SP2 has gotten a pretty bad reputation, but it's not that bad. What you have to understand though is that it's going to automatically set up some things on your computer that COULD interfere with games/LANs. (ie, the firewall that comes with the SP2). All you have to do is check through the update carefully and disable/enable a few things...like the ability of your video games to access the internet. You'd think that since MSFS and XP are from the same company, XP would know that Flight Simulator wasn't a threat, but oh well....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Does SP2 slow down FS9?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This is a list of the programs that MS has that have problems with SP2. This is only what MS has, are there others? Don't know.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I'm using WinXP SP2 with FS2004 and have no problems.
Its worth noting that on that list of published SP2 problem applications I'm also using Photoshop CS without any issues.

The only problem I had with SP2 is that a USB Key-Disk refused to unlock but manufacturers tech support sent me an updated driver which works fine.

Dave.

Guest FEM Guest

Well guys, I installed it, then promptly uninstalled it. I then did my famous "light the leather glove on fire" trick, and grabbed the CD with the flaming glove. It was cool! Brought a new meaning to the term "burning a CD"

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

FEM,
the main problems with it have been related to spyware and other malware on the system.

As long as you run Adaware, Spybot Search and destroy to remove it all you shouldn't have any problems..
As for the security centre and the Windows Firewall, I disable all of it.

I prefer Sygate Personal Firewall and use AntiVir for XP (free edition)

I've been using it since it came out with no problems anywhere..

I think, as of a couple of months from now, you won't be able to get any updates to Windows XP unless you have SP 2.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Ive had SP2 from, more or less the 1st week it came out and have had no problems
As for spyware,check out Microsofts Beta version.Its very good 👍 ➡

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I have SP2. I installed it a long time ago and I've never had any problem with anything. I have Photoshop and it works good. No problem with that, even if Photoshop is on the list that RadarMan posted.

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Hey Fireman ! I would be careful here. First, make sure whatever you have will work with SP2. In my case, my perfectly good scanner quits working as it uses Paperport software. SP2 IS NOT worth me buying Paperport 10! The Firewall it employs is basic and not up to the task. It only checks incoming ! I use a router and Zone Alarm and am happy without the hallowed SP2. I would imagine you can turn off the SP2 firewall and auto-update and probably still play in peace. Good Luck, rob

Pro Member Chief Captain

I got rid of it, it caused more trouble than good.

I really wish Microsoft had some competition on the market, because that way they wouldnd' release junk, and then update it when they felt like it.

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I am using SP2, with no problems. play FS9, Doom3, Halflife 2, GP4, Nascar thunder, Tiger Woods, Ghost Recon, etc. No problem with anything. I have to believe that those who are struggling probably have other problems.
I'm not concerned about Microsoft, but I am about games that expect you to tune your PC just for them. It reminds me of the old days before the GUI systems we have today. You would load a program and it was allowed to become resident on your system, every time you booted, it would take you to that program, and you would have to go into your config and remove it. oh well, enough down memory lane. SP2 is OK, load it and enjoy.
tweek the program, not the system.
For those of you who hate Bill Gates, try Linux. It is an excellent operating system that is not under constant attack by the hackers and virus spreaders.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Too late, I've already "disposed" of the disc...It's caused, as i've said...WAYY too much trouble to be worth it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've seen that the older the computer the more problems people have with SP2. I only have one item on that list and it's not worth the trouble to load and unload.
I already use XP Firewall, I have my own anti virus (NAV) but as of a few days ago MS Windows Update won't give me any new "patches" because I haven't loaded their so called improvement.

No I have nothing against BillG or MS, if it weren't for Windows the world would have a few hundred million less computers. They made it possible through simplicity and reasonable pricing for the average slob to understand how to operate one.

As for the very far away competitors they don't have virus problems because it's too much trouble to write a program that will attack 8 computers across the world, kinda senseless even if the virus, worm, trojan horse etc writers aren't worth spit.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

I just installed SP2 and my computer is acually working faster.

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Hey, I jsut got my SP 2 disc from microsoft. and I think not having it is the reason i can't play Half Life 2,

FEM, I was curious about your comment about Half Life 2-- I don't have SP2, and HL2 runs okay on my computer. I have to run without all the eye-candy, because my machine is absolutely ancient (almost 4 years old 😳 ) but it runs, and never crashes. The only consistent problem is stuttering sound when I save or recall a game, which I also had on the original Half Life.

I have seen a lot of discussion about "issues" with installing, getting the Steam registration, and all that, but after one long evening of dealing with that nonsense, it runs fine on my old box.

Great game, by the way.

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeah, I uninstalled it and said to hell with it. Because after the pic with the guy with the valve in his eye, it just *quits*. Goes to a black screen. Done, nothin, all over. Ker-Pow...It didn't always do that, up untill i had to reformat, it worked like a charm...

Guest Ed Guest

FEM,

You really should play HalfLife 2. I just finished it about a half hour ago, and it is definitely the best game of that type that I've ever played. It's a bit of a hassle to get it installed, registered and all that, but worth the trouble. A really excellent game.

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I agree with HL2, really stunning. I finished it before I installed SP2 so I can't say what effect it might have...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...