Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

New experience for me

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I on an IFR (Lear 45) from Jamaica to LAX at FL450. Rather than increase the sim rate I opened map view and dragged the aircraft icon closer to the coast of Texas. I checked the alt. and speed and clicked OK. I was aproximately 150 miles off the coast of Texas. Another ten minutes later Houston Center suddenly requests I decrease my altitude to FL380, then FL280, etc, down to FL140.

While on my decent I opened the ATC window and instead of seeing the typical IFR options such as Increase/Decrease altitude etc, I only see Houston Center and nearby airports options. I am scratching my head. Do the federales suspect me of trafficking and they want me to land? 😳

Now at FL140 I am waiting for Houston to direct me to a nearby AP. Nothing! I fly on for a while and realize the Houston Center has forgotten about me. I opened the ATC window again and I have the IFR options available again. I requested an altitude increase and was given the OK.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this ❓ Weird!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Well first of all, there is no such thing as fl140. You must be thinking of 14,000. I've experienced something like that. ATC hasn't told me to descend but they have had me turn to the opposite direction than that of my course. They have also just plain forgotten about me. I have been directly over my destinatin airport at FL320. That keeps occurring more and more lately.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Yeah the "FL 140" is in error on my part.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Please explain no such thing as FL140....been there a few times 🙂
...honest!!

Don Wood Guest

Altitudes are defined in two ways. Below 18,000 feet, they are expressed in feet. An altitude of 14,000 feet would be expressed by or to ATC as "one four thousand feet".

At or above 18,000, also known as positive control airspace, they are expressed in flight levels. Thus, 18,000 feet would be expressed as "flight level one eight zero".

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yes Yes. I couldn't have put it better.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Ok, now that we've strayed about 100 miles from his original question, I'll answer it.

Whever you click and drag your aircraft, It resets the flight plan you have set up, so next time, when you're in a hurry, best just to use the sim rate increase.

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

TA-DA! -Fire_Em to the rescue! 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Lol, thanks. The really funny things are when someone asks a extremely simple one-sentence-answerable question, and it spaws a 3-page discussion on why the engine is placed how it is on a certain aircraft! 😛

I hope my answer helped you out, Michlin

Using the rate increase you can miss out on ATC comms. If you fail to answer they cancel your flight plan.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Ahhh you are talking in American again!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's why before I increase the sim rate by about 16x , I Listen for a handoff and don't tune into the next frequecny until I put the sim rate on normal again.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Don Wood wrote:

Altitudes are defined in two ways. Below 18,000 feet, they are expressed in feet. An altitude of 14,000 feet would be expressed by or to ATC as "one four thousand feet".

At or above 18,000, also known as positive control airspace, they are expressed in flight levels. Thus, 18,000 feet would be expressed as "flight level one eight zero".

Thanks, Don! Good to know. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Ok, now that we've strayed about 100 miles from his original question, I'll answer it.

Whever you click and drag your aircraft, It resets the flight plan you have set up, so next time, when you're in a hurry, best just to use the sim rate increase.

Thanks for that info!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Increasing the Simulation Rate does NOT make you "Miss" the ATC communications. They just go by very fast, so you have to be quick to respond to them.

Pro Member Chief Captain

What I do is I turn the ATC voice off and say it myself just after pressing the key that says what I want to say.