Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

I can't get Autopilot working

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

I've tried using the ILS approach to make my landings accurate on the middle of the runway, but I want to use autopilot for it. This is the text that I used to help me with autopilot:

1. When ATC says something liek "WifeBeater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and mantain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach" (The thing is, it doesn't!). You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockipt. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (thes are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list untill you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. FInd 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency.(I clicked on the ILS feathers, and a frequency was there. I opened the radiostack and entered it in Nav1, I pressed the nav1 button on the bottom of the radiostack panel. But nothing happened, the frequency was on active but still nothing happened! (Oh and by the way, my ATC window was open) We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the righmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clickin it. Press the button that looks like thsi somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the LearJet. (Like said before, I turned it on but nothing happened)

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!! (I don't get this bit, I turned on the autopilot approach button (the CTRL and A) but still nothing happened

Am i doing something wrong here? By the looks of this, I think i am. Can anyone help please!

Guest Ed Guest

TS,

The world-famous "WifeBeater 767" post applies if you are flying IFR. You will only get that message from ATC if you have filed an IFR flight plan. Otherwise, you have to contact the tower and request permission to land and they will just instruct you on how to enter the pattern. You're on your own to figure out how to acquire the ILS and use it.

Pressing the NAV1 button on the radio stack only puts that signal into the audio, it has nothing to do with the A/P. Are you hearing Morse Code beeps spelling out the ILS stations name (also on the map)? If not, you're either not tuned correctly, or you are out of range of the ILS signal. When you put the frequncy in the radio stack, did you push the button (next to the NAV1 fequency window) that looks like this: <--> to make that the active fequency? You should.

You can't use the "Approach" function of A/P until you are:

1. Correctly tuned to the ILS frequency, and in range, with the correct runway heading dialed into your HSI or VOR1 display (varies by aircraft how you do that, on the C172, it's the heading bug on VOR1 display), and the "NAV/GPS" switch is set to NAV.

2. Established on the localizer (your HSI or VOR 1 display shows that you are centered on the ILS beam, or at least within a degree or two).

3. Approaching from below the glideslope, and with the glideslope indicator near the center (you're within a degree or two).

4. You're at final approach speed, ready to land (otherwise, the plane will be moving too fast and can't capture the glideslope).

Of course, you could just go through the Instrument Rating training in FS09 and learn all this for yourself. You need to know how VOR works, and how ILS works before you try to use A/P. Wink

Ed

Guest Ed Guest

And more:

In A/P section of the radio stack, you have to select "NAV" and turn on the A/P for any of this to work. In the same section, you can select "APP" to fly the approach instead of using ctrl-A.

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
philipjes Trainee

When I press the button Autopilot, then I just can't move the aircraft. But then when I shall land, then Autopilot doesn't do anything. I can only land manuel or?
-Can autopilot land for me?
-When I open the GPS, then I only see the route with a viloet path. I cant click on the Airport's or see the runway numbers. In so fall, how? Can any plz take screens and post in here? And guide me?

Would be DAMN nice! Smile , THX

Guest Ed Guest

No, you can't fly the airplane when A/P is engaged-- you control the autopilot, and autopilot flies the plane.

No, A/P won't land for you. If you know how, as we were discussing above, it will get you near the airport, and even fly an approach, bringing you down on the glideslope. But you have to take control and actually land the plane. In the real world, some planes have autoland, but they are not in the default FS09 planes.

You don't get that airport information from the GPS, you get it from the map. On the instrument panel there is a button that looks like a star; click it and that will open the map. That's where you can click on airports and get runway information.

Of course, you could just go through the Instrument Rating training in FS09 and learn all this for yourself. You need to know how VOR works, and how ILS works before you try to use A/P.

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
philipjes Trainee

Ty for the nice feedback Smile

- I have completede the most training levels.. I have no problem landing. But I just need to learn ALL about A/P! Smile