Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Quick/Easy Instrument Question

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Well, I am new to FS2004, like some others and had a quick question about the ILS.

I was trying to hit an ILS approach, so I tuned up the ILS freq. for my NAV1 radio and hit the " <-> " button to switch the freq. from Standby to Active. After doing this should the ILS needles appear and start to move the closer I get to the airport? If so, from what I understand, I never had a GlideScope on my Horizontal Situation Indicator. So my guess is I didn't intercept the GlideScope but I ended up landing and never intercepting it.

So, how do you know if you intercept it or where it is at to intercept it?

Also, Im in a jet, and since there is no VOR/NAV window like the VORs have in Cessna's, what colors represent what on the HSI?

Sorry for the easy questions, I just would like some answers because I have been getting mad trying to figure this out 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

If you are using autopilot,it will dissengage the heading and altitude lights once it has captured the ILS

You should see a magenta bar on the HSI and a small magenta triangle for the altitude
Fs like you to capture the ILS from below,ie you fly level under the ILS untill capture

If your heading towards the ILS beam from an angle,the bar will move as you near the GS

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

The glideslope indicator does the same thing as the glideslope needle on the VOR. When I fly the Baron or the King Air my only glideslope info comes from the HSI. Depending on what you are flying dictates where to intercept glideslope. In the 737 I intercept the slope about 20 miles out at 5000' agl. In the small stuff i.e. 172, 182, I intercept the slope anywhere from 1500-2500' agl. You should get lined up with rnwy localiser first several miles out, as you get closer the glideslope needle or indicator will move from the top of the instrument to the bottom. When the needle reaches the middle of the scale you are on the glideslope, adjust your descent rate to keep the needle centered. If you are in a jet, it will be around 1300 fpm at 250 kts, on short final at 150 kts it will be around 700 fpm. In the 172 it will be more like 400-500 fpm depending on your speed.

Pro Member First Officer

Well that was the problem, on the HSI, I never saw a GlideSlope indicator. On the jets, like the Lear45, is the GLidescope the Green line, and the little segment in the middle what you have to line up?

Im just trying to dictate what color is what on the HSI. On the Lear 45, the Localizer is on the right side of the Attitude Indicator and the GS is on the HSI being the green line, is that right?

Pro Member First Officer

Also, is the VOR the blue line on the HSI?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Does that help?

You could also be coming in too slow? If you want to read my guide on ILS, hit the search forum link, and in the content thing, search "Wifebeater"

You'll know you've got it cause it's a multi step guide thingy

Pro Member First Officer

F.E.M., I think you are talking about the Heading Indicator or the Horizontal Situation Indicator (they are the same thing in the jets). Thanks for the guide though.

Ok, well I went to go do an ILS Approach just to take a SS and get some more clearance.

The reason I want to do which line is which is because I have to take a checkride in a TurboProp ART and can't use AP or ATC to get to airports, but having to use VORs. Being in a jet, I don't know which one is the VOR since there are so many lines on the HSI.

Here is the SS. Would someone mind pointing out the VOR lines and stuff please?

Sorry the SS is kinda big.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

You keep the green arrow beside the attitude indicator on the center mark i.e. the line in the middle. On the HSI you set the heading arrow to the rnwy heading and keep the middle segment of the green line centered with the rest of the line. If you do that, you are right on target---- assuming that the glideslope info is correct. BEWARE there are some errors in the sim program. look out for the localiser on rnwy 28R at Port Columbus International KCMH, it will put you in the grass to the right on the rnwy. There are a few other arpts with ILS errors as well.heck with other members on this site for more info.