SearchSearch 

All drives updated, DX9, but display is horrible!

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

Hello my fellow dreamers...
I have 576RAM, plenty of HD space, DirectX 9 (the latest) and my video card is Nvidia Geforce4 mx 4000 (128mb). Goes without saying that I meet the requirements, even though its not outstanding.
Before anybody suggests it, I want to say i HAVE THE LATEST DRIVER ON THE VIDEO CARD 🙂 seems like most often answered.

situation: On my FS2004, when I start on runway everything is fine... but as soon as i get some lift my screen goes crazy.. seems like dragging all sceneries.. only what's not on the ground.. like stars, towers, etc.. for some unexplained reason when i press brake it stops shaking it all... ?? goes without saying that it's unplayable..

ps: It worked just fine before I formatted my computer a few days ago... and again I HAVE ALREADY UPDATED DRIVERS AND DX9... am i missing anything else that needs to be updated??

already many thanks!

33 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did you load the new MS patch, or SP2 and not have either before.

Make sure the AA box isn't checked in the settings of the sim and all the settings are either at default, off or below.

Did you add anything new yet. (scenery)

Let us now how it is.

Is this a notebook and what is your CPU.

Radar

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

ok thank you so much for the reply!! i'm an msfs aholic and i need to play it!!
ok i have not added any scenery or any ad-ons i actually just uninstalled it and installed it again.. AA box not checked, and all on minimal
i did update OS XP to SP2...

When i take off it looks like everything that is off the ground smudgges on the screen, but only happens in cockpit view everything above my panel..

please help

ps: desktop

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try these one at a time.
From what I remember that card is one of the older ones and using the latest drivers for an old card doesn't always work. Try another driver but make it an older one like you used before.
Lower your traffic, shadows, scenery and autogen and shut off the water.

The only change that you made is loading SP2, delete it and see how the sim works.
There haven't been a flood of SP2 complaints with FS9 but you have nothing to lose.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

If all fails, reinstall.

I know how easy it is to get hooked flying.

Radar

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

hey radarman...

i did all the above things, i dl the 45.23 driver for nvidia, which by some forums that ive read is the perfect one for this older video card. Lowered traffic etc..
And yes, I even removed the SP2, which i didn't like it in the first place.
But it is still malfunctioning.
Question:
-Could it be that when i reinstall fs2004, due to my antivirus being on caused the issue?
-when I check the video card driver, in device manager still shows the latest driver instead of the successfuly updated 45.23 version? should i do a rollback?

radar I'm freaking out! im a student pilot in real life and it's very important that i practice fs2004, as lame as it may sound! 🙂

again tnx for the support

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You should shut down all the programs you can that are running in the background.

In the video card control panel set AA for 4x and AF for 16x, I may be off there because I'm an ATI user.

Download the latest drivers to a folder on your desktop.

Use the driver cleaner to get rid of the old one.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

After you clean it install the new driver.
Go to /start/run/type in dxdiag and see if you have the driver you want. You can also run the driver test there.

A rollback, why not, the worse thing that can happen is that you would have to reinstall the sim, and that might be the best thing.

Radar

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

Radarman,

I did everything as follows:
-removed driver from cpu
-I have now the correct driver installed
-followed the instructions on the program "clean driver"

no luck... funny thing is that it worked perfectly with my 64mb nvidia... but im not going to put the old video card back in, you understand

any other ideas?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Put the old one back in and see if something is wrong with your new card.
I could be a fault in it or it could need to be reseated.
Dust gathers everywhere not only in the fans but the sockets.

Radar

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

Will do bud,

Ill keep you posted

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

hey man,

I couldnt' add the other video card, cuz i lost the cd for that driver...

I thank you for all your help, and ill stick to real life flying. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You don't need the CD all you have to do is go to their site and download and install a year old driver and control panel, that's what they give you on the CD.

Let us know how you are doing, good luck! 👍

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Should work with the driver you have (one driver fits all)

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

well i tried adding the old video card with the driver, but the monitor would not even turn on ..

it's very off, cuz everything in the game works, even if i set all settings to the ultra high.. i can still play and cycle all the views without any chokes.. it's the cockpit view that is the problem .. right above the panel (which is fine too)... actually all terrain is fine too!! just anything above grounds smuddges on the screen..

am i missing any other updates? on windows xp itself?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

The old vid card my not have worked because the screen res is set too high or the refresh rate too high

Because you are using the same driver,windows will stay at the settings you had the newer card at

Try lowering the settings

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you can use it the way it is keep it.
I don't use SP2 and they don't have any updates for it. Even if they did it wouldn't help.

Good guess TTT!!! That may do it with a 64mb card.

Radar

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

yo guys,

I found the drive to my old video card (64mb), thank a higher power that all you need for fs2004 is an 8MB lol...

question, do i need to remove the current driver for the new card completely and then intall the new drive before switching them?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Before fitting it lower the screen settings

Although the driver is the same,you should uninstall/reinstall

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

yo radar and ttt,

dont hate me man, but i have been trying to install a driver update for the wrong video card! 🙄 yes im a tard..

tried for geforce4 mx 440 when my card is geforce mx 4000 128mb ddr agp 8x/4x duhhhh

ill keep yall posted

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

oh man,

im really confused, on the video card box.. i have as geforce mx 4000 has nothing about geforce4 mx 4000... strangelly enough, when i go to my device manager it says geforce4 mx 4000..??? and when i do an update on the driver for the card, it's not listed under the supported cards..

NVIDIA RIVA TNT
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Pro
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra
NVIDIA Vanta
NVIDIA Vanta LT
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro
NVIDIA Aladdin TNT2
NVIDIA GeForce 256
NVIDIA GeForce DDR
NVIDIA Quadro
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400
NVIDIA Quadro2 MXR
NVIDIA Quadro2 EX
NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
NVIDIA GeForce2 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra
NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU
NVIDIA Quadro2 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460
NVIDIA Quadro NVS
NVIDIA Quadro4 500 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 550 XGL
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with AGP8X
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440SE with AGP8X
NVIDIA Quadro4 NVS with AGP8X
NVIDIA Quadro4 380 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 580 XGL
NVIDIA GeForce3
NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500
NVIDIA Quadro DCC
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE
NVIDIA Quadro4 700 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 780 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 Ultra
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2000

is this a problem?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Baron-o--0--o- Guest

k here is where im at...

i got that driver 56.64 from the link and it messed me up.. it would only boot in safe mode.. but im going to update my bios and chipset for the motherboard which i have not done since reformat of xp..

next im going to get either driver 66.93 or 56.72 which are recommended for my video card with fs2004.

so wish me luck..

ps: this post will help many pple in my situation as i have found same situations in forums, but no answer to the problem!

tnx again radar and TTT.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ok, let us know how you are doing. TTT and all of us are trying to get you back into shape.

Good luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258496

Radar

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

k dudes,

here's what ive done so far:

-updated bios
-updated chipset
-uninstall and install of fs2004 3 times
-installed video card driver: 66.93, 71.84,56.64 and original cd version
-tried playing without joystick
-used driver cleaning pro by the book
-played with all the setting of display form minimal to ultra high
-windows xp sp2 update and remove
...and probably some other things that i dont remember

can't think of anything else.. even the nvidia support by phone are turning me down 🙂

any ideias?? I'm freaking out and about to throw my cpu out of the window! lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If it's still in safe mode are you sure that you connected it to the power supply with a "live" line.

Radar

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

i sure did, i have 250W total... which is enough for all the hardware installed in the cpu...

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's free, do a complete scan here and see if they say anything is wrong with it.

http://www.pcpitstop.com

Radar

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

ok ran it..

it's all good, other than the cache size.. but that's not the problem..

im calling video card again, lol

ps: i played today using my default 8mb video card *barf*

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your 8mb Yucky video card works then there has to be something wrong with the other cards, AGP slot or power cable to the card.

The 8mb has to be a PCI card.

Radar

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

hey radar,

my 64mb card runs out of a pci slot... and the 128 is agp.. could that be the problem? how can i check? or where would you check the power supply

ps: when i slow down the hardware accelerator 3 notched down i can play.. but with graphich quality as good as a 8mb *barf* again..haha

ps: nvidia techs gave up on me ..blammed the game.. // the mother of fs2004 MS tech said it's hardware issue.. jeez..

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Your motherboard should auto detect which card is being used,but worth a quick look in the BIOS
With most mobos its hit F2 or Delete before Windows starts to load

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

I have definately had this smudge effect too !

Unfotunately, I'm not a PC wizz at all, so all I done the two times that this happened to me is a System Restore to a week or so back and it was cured.

I sympathise Baron because it is SOOOO frustrating and annoying when you get these problems coming from nowhere..... It makes me wish they would just build a specific games console that had FS built on it (that could take add-ons etc), so we could enjoy the sim in a stable environment ! Crying or Very sad

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

Yeah dude,

It's good to know that I'm not alone in this world...

problem is that currently I only have 1 pc in the house.. but in about a month my brother will be back with the other PC..and my mom is about to buy one for her... I'm sure ill be able to play with one of those..!! forget this one though! and I feel like I wasted 100$ on this video card.. hehe...

anyways, Im very thankfull to all 3 of you guys that attemped to help me! it be cool if we could fly together some time.. let me know..

Pro Member Trainee
kittyhawk63 Trainee

I'm sure you may have done this already. I was having some problems with my cockpit view while flying a plane. Everything else was fine. I started Flight Simulation 9, went to "Settings > Hardware" and set my screen resolution to 1024x768x32bpp. You might give that a try. It worked for me. It may, however, do nothing for you. I hope it is that simple.
kittyhawk63

Baron-o--0--o- Guest

Oh man I'm so happy..

There has been a new addition to the family, a baby laptop. Mom just got a Toshiba laptop:

3.1ghz, 512mb and 128mb video.. guess what not the best cpu in the market, but my game runs!! yes!!