Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Flying the 747-400

Guest Ed Guest

Hi all,

I've recently decided that it's finally time to step up to the heavy iron. I've been flying the Lear Jet for about a year, and basically I want something even faster.

I spent a few days learning to fly the default 737-400, went through some most of Rod's jet checkout flights, and got reasonably comfortable with driving that bus.

Then I decided I was ready for something bigger. The 747-400 seemed to fit the bill; of all the default aircraft in FS09, it is the fastest and has the greatest range-- just the thing for a die-hard long distance tour flyer like me. And it just looks so darned cool.

So after causing the early demise of several hundred of Seattle's citizens on my first couple of take-off attempts out of KSEA (man, this thing is like trying to get a cruise ship airborne! 😳 ) I'm finally up, flying straight and level, and it seems like I've discovered a couple of oddities.

First, when I'm flying straight and level, the nose is up anywhere from 3 to 8 degrees, depending on altitude, speed, and payload. No matter what I do, the attitude indicator never goes to zero degrees, unless I'm descending. Is this normal?

Second, doesn't this thing have a fuel indicator? I can't find anything that tells me how much fuel I have or what is my fuel burn rate. Yeah, I can do the shift-z thing to see the fuel percentage remaining, but the fuel consumption rate sure would be useful. Am I missing somthing?

Thanks,

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello Ed. It's a good idea to start flying the 747-400. I don't fly that aircraft too much, because I prefer Airbus, but sometimes I fly Boeing.
I'm virtually located on Houston, Texas, USA. And I've flown a 737-800 to get there.

I can answer your first question but not the second one, because I'm not sure about that one. You can do a search in www.avsim.com or www.flightsim.com for some great 747-400 panels.

For a big aircraft, it is common to maintain 2-6 degrees nose up. It shouldn't exceeed 10 degrees when you are at cruise altitude. This is more like a theory question and since I don't know a lot about it, yet, I can't answer your question fully.
The 747-400 and other aircraft tend to maintain 2-6 degrees up to maintain altitude in high altitudes where the air is dense and the pressure is......high? Or low? Well, a real pilot can answer that. Soon, I'll answer all of your question sice I'm going to start my pilot school this year.

I hope this helps you.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I agree Agus the 747 is nice but the Airbus is Kickass.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Exactly!! Airbus is awesome ❗

You know what? I am a virtual pilot of Swiss Airlines in so that means I love your signature pic, hehe. I have 34.7 hours on the A340-300 and I can say that I master this aircraft. Those hours are increasing rapidly now that I have the PSS A340 Pro.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Second, doesn't this thing have a fuel indicator? I can't find anything that tells me how much fuel I have or what is my fuel burn rate. Yeah, I can do the shift-z thing to see the fuel percentage remaining, but the fuel consumption rate sure would be useful. Am I missing somthing?

If you are using the 747-400 default 2D panel there should be 3 screens. On the far right screen in the lower right hand corner ther should be something that says TOTAL FUEL ___._ X 1000
HOPE THIS HELPS 😀

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Airbus is Kickass.

You meen Airbus is getting there ass kicked. GO BOEING.
Airbus Whip
Boeing Group Wave

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Well said 😀

Guest Ed Guest

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I see the little tiny fuel indicator now.

Ed

Guest Ed Guest

Well, I spent a few hours flying the cruise ship around today. I don't know that I want to keep it up though. Yeah, it's bit faster than the Lear, but it's not that much fun to fly.

I thought I should practice the approach before I actually had to land the big thing. I was on a cross-country flight from Seattle to Cleveland (my old home town), and out over Montana I brought it down to about 8000 feet and did some simulated approaches, trying to get a feel for flying the beast at low speed/altitude.

Let's just say a certain farmer in Montana won't need to plow a certain field this spring; I took care of it for him. 😂 Speed control seems to be a key factor; if you let the airspeed get too low, this thing flies like a brick doesn't. 😂

Fortunately, I had saved the flight before "churning the earth," so I tried again and managed to get down, get the flaps out, and get back up to altitude without causing any more harm to local livestock, and went on my merry way.

I managed to land in Cleveland without any further loss of life. That was so much fun that I reloaded the flight from the downwind leg and tried again; having now successfully landed the bloody great thing TWICE without producing flames and crumpled aluminum, I thought "Hey, this is easy."

Wrong.

I created a new flight and took off for Miami, to visit my sister. I thought, "Won't she be impressed with her little brother, flying a 747 to Miami?"

Well, the fact is that Miami has been in need of some "Urban renewal" for some time now, and I helped the process along. I opened up some entirely new real estate for development today.

I was about a mile out from KMIA, on the glide slope for RWY34R, flying on A/P, when it just dropped out of the sky and landed on some unsuspecting Floridians. When a 747 stalls at 1,000 feet AGL, there's just not that much you can do to recover, you know? Crying or Very sad

Maybe I need to stick with the Lear Jet. It got me all the way around the world once, why should I give it up now? 😉

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I agree with you ed, the 747 isn't all that fun to fly. Grab a 757-200 from POSKy when you get a chance. That's a fun plane, and gives you a nice blend of speed and ease of flight.

gazpode_l Guest

I have myself recently started flying "the beast" again! I began flying this mahoosive craft when i regularly played flight sim round my friend's house, but am unable to do so now following a hard-drive crash and the fact that I no longer own all the disks for flight sim.

I noticed that if you drop the airspeed below 170 knots, you have to keep the nose above the horrizon to keep flying properly. With the nose on the horrizon you tend to drop anywhere between 500-1500ft per min depending on how slow you are going.

So when i play the game later on my dad's machine, I will attempt an approach at 190knots as advised for a full load within the help sections.

regards

gary

Pro Member Chief Captain

The 747-400 is not an easy aircraft to fly. I had my problems too, but now I can fly it properly. The landings....well, I need some practice with them. I don't crash, but I end up landing in the middle of the runway.
Try to approach at 190 KIAS and land at 180 KIAS. I dón't know if that's the correct approach and landing speeds for this aircraft, but at least you won't stall.

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

I dont fly the aircraft much (I never have time for long houl flights 😞 ) but I would fly the final APP at about 170kn or higher if the aircraft is very heavy with fuel.If you are using full flaps dont fly over 180kn as this is the max speed for full flaps.I agree with FEM the 757-200 is a great aircraft and it handles well after A/P disengage.

Pro Member Trainee
nicam Trainee

I think of getting the top avionics 747 panel, has any one got it? is it worth registering?

I down loaded the trial version, it seems good.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Where did you get the trial version?

Pro Member Trainee
nicam Trainee

From here!

it runs for 10mins then the CRT screens go blank with a warning message
it cost 19USD to reg

I really wanted a panel or sound that has the warning/caution voice, (eg pull up etc

I have them for my 737 and 777 but not 747 (my fav plane)

Guest Ed Guest

Agus0404 wrote:

The 747-400 is not an easy aircraft to fly. I had my problems too, but now I can fly it properly. The landings....well, I need some practice with them. I don't crash, but I end up landing in the middle of the runway.
Try to approach at 190 KIAS and land at 180 KIAS. I dón't know if that's the correct approach and landing speeds for this aircraft, but at least you won't stall.

I guess that was the problem-- I had a full passenger list, and a couple of the flight attendants were a bit on the portly side-- guess I was a bit heavy. I was trying to fly the approach at 140 kias, as suggested in the FS09 aircraft guide. When I was successful in landing at Cleveland, it was the freight hauling version of the 747, and I had lightened the load after leaving a divot back in Montana.

Even if I'm flying A/P, I disable the autothrottle before intercepting the glide slop, and control speed manually-- a habit I picked up after running off the far end of runways a few times, when I forgot to disable it. Embarassed But the 747 has very little tolerance for speed errors, especially errors on the minus side, I've learned.

Ed