Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FLASH Help

Pro Member Trainee
ArchAngel_06 Trainee

To anyone with an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe:

Can you guys walk me through the details of UPDATING my BIOS? Treat me like an idiot, i want to do this right. For some reason ASUS doesnt want to have documentation on how to do this on their site.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Why do you want to flash the Bios?

Unless you are going to gain some new feature,I would think twice,as its not without danger

If you must,have a read of this Arrow

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/

And d/load update and flash tool here Arrow

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A8N-SLI%20Deluxe&Type=Latest

Be warned if anything goes wrong,you could loose your pc

Pro Member Trainee
ArchAngel_06 Trainee

Thanks for the warn TTT. I really appreciate the help. I dont know if I want to flash it yet. Im looking for information and direction. This is the one area Ive never really delt with on computers.

I dont see anything severe as far as new features, so I probably wont touch anything, plus Im still new to this and I dont want to risk anything. When you say I could lose my PC, you mean a total data loss, or an actual corrupted hardware issue i.e. permanently losing the use of my mobo?

Im just trying to learn more about my system and make sure im getting the most i can out of it, though not at the expense of good harware. Again, thank you so much for the advice and help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Flashing your mobo Bios is fairly simple,but if anything go'es wrong,you stand the chance of needing a new mobo

The only time you need to flash and update is as I said to add extra features to the mobo.So if your not getting any for it,I would leave alone

The old saying"If its not broken,dont fix it" Hack

Pro Member Trainee
ArchAngel_06 Trainee

AMEN

Guest Ed Guest

I have used that Asus Flash tool a few times, in my never-ending quest to squeeze more performance out of an ancient computer. There are instructions on the Asus web site (same place you download the tool and the BIOS file) that are pretty easy to follow. As I recall, you just put the tool and the new BIOS on a floppy, and set up the PC to boot from the floppy drive, then reboot and run the tool from the floppy. It does give you the option of saving your old BIOS file on the same disk as the tool, which I highly recommend.

I can't imagine any mistake you could make that would require a new MoBo. If the new BIOS doesn't run correctly, you just reboot and put the old one back on. All you're doing is putting a file into an EPROM; that won't do any physical damage. It's just like saving a file on your hard drive; you can always replace the file if it doesn't work correctly.

On the other hand, after the first BIOS update when the computer was fairly new, I've never needed to put a newer one one. They don't keep putting out new BIOS files for old boards.

Ed