SearchSearch 

Hardware question?

Pro Member Trainee
figgi Trainee

Hi!

My system is a P4, 2,8 GHZ,2*256MB(HyperT) with a radeon 9800Pro with 128MB.
Never had problems with my framerates but now with the newest add-ons,
and i have quiet a lot of add-ons, my framerates start to fall under 10-15fps.
Now i wanna know what´s the best solution to solve the problem?
Do i need to get a faster graphic card or a faster processor?

Thanx for your answers!

Felix

15 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

You have a nice system there but I would start with the RAM. 512MB is ok, but if you do have a lot of addons then you're best off with higher RAM and then possibly a newer graphics card. I would leave the processor for the moment as it is good and not worth changing.

Another solution would be to lower the display settings.

Hope that helps 😀

Yeh I agree with ^^^^. If you chose to get a bew CPU then go for AMD for mainly gaming or Intel for multitasking.

Pro Member Trainee
figgi Trainee

Ok thanks!

And what kind of RAM should it be?
What are the most important things for a good RAM?

Felix

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well if you have 2 slots left, you can fill them with 2 more sticks of 256MB to make 1 gig which should improve it considerably. If you have the spare cash, upgrade to 512 sticks in each slot for extra nice performance.

Make sure you get the right speed, or your PC will run at the slower speed and it will be a waste of money.

Pro Member First Officer
mrkonk First Officer

How do you check the fps?
😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Press "Ctrl+Z" at the same time 2 to 3 times and two lines of statistics will appear at the top of your screen, the second line has FPS.
Get rid of it the same way.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
figgi Trainee

So it`s possible to fill up all 4 spots?
And i could use the 2*256 and the 2*512RAM together as
1536 RAM total?

Felix

Pro Member Chief Captain

If you do have 4 slots available then yes it is possible to fill them. Go to www.belarc.com and download it and run it and it will tell you how many slots you have for use and the maximum amount of RAM you can use.

Yes you can use 2 x 256 and 2 x 512. Make sure you check how much RAM you can use first.

Figgi, you have to read your mobo manual and it will have a section on Ram and tell you the mobo requirements. If you have a brand-name PC or know what mobo you have, you can go to www.crucial.com and they have a guide to what Ram you need. Good Luck, rob

Pro Member Trainee
figgi Trainee

Hi all!

I got 1,5GB RAM now.
It´s a bit better now but not the big surprise effect as i suggested.
At the newest add on airports my fps are still around 10.
So i tried to change the graphic settings of FS9.
But this doesn´t change a lot.There´s almost no difference between
the highest scenery settings and the medium high settings.

So do you think it´s the 2,8Ghz processor or maybe the graphic card?
I heard a Geforce 6600GT with 128 MB is much faster than a 128MB Radeon 9800Pro.Because of the Mhz.

Does anyone now more?
Thanks,
Felix

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

That's me above as "Guest," I do not understand what "1,5 GB Ram" means. Certainnly there isn'r a 5GB Ram stick. Your processor isn't the problem, but you could get more with another video card that has 256 Ram on it. But I doubt you will get much better performance. Try resetting all your options to default and start there. If you do buy abother video card, you would be throwing your money away to get another 128 MB card. I am using a 3.4 Ghz P4 and i GB Ram, and I still get 12-14 fps at O'hare with all settings maxed. You could also try reinstalling dirx and the newest drivers for your video card. I am a Nvidia guy, so am not sure which drivers for ATI, but I think ATI makes a uninstall program to use before updating drivers??? Radarman will tell you !! Good Luck, rob

Pro Member Chief Captain

I think he means 1.5 Gigs as in 512MB x 3.

Pro Member Trainee
figgi Trainee

I got 2*256 and 2*512 MB RAM. But don´t you think a 256MB graphic card
will bring better fps?

Felix

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

OK, sorry...1.5 GB. Well, I really don't think you will be satisfied for the money you spend. One way is buy a card at a store you can return it to. I like Best Buy for that reason. Two times ago, I bought both the ATI version and Nvidia, then tried them both, then took back the ATI. They both performed equally, but I liked the graphics better with the ATI. Course, buying online saves you money. Last one I got, I ordered from www.Zipzoomfly.com...free two-day shipping and no tax. Did you try default settings yet? rob

Pro Member Trainee
Skymuncher Trainee

Hi,

My advice is to keep your Radeon 9800 Pro, and to add RAM and maybe change your processor. The graphic card isn't that important in FS, and the 9800 is already pretty good. Add 512 mor megs of RAM so you have one gig, it should boost your FS. I don't see the need for more than a gig right now, I don't think it is worth the money. Then if you can, pick a new AMD processor (like 3200+, 3500+) and you should have a very good FS. If you really want a new graphic card, then the GeForce 6600 GT is a very good midrange pick, while the ATI x800XT and the GeForce 6800 Ultra are the best high-end graphics card (but kinda expensive also). But once again I think you should upgrade your RAM and your processor first, don't bother changing your graphic card unless you have a lot of money to spend.

Good luck! 🍻

Skymuncher