Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

My Problem-Radarman

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Chris,
Sorry, I was able to follow the written directions to the end but the video lost me.
I can't tell what to do next, what tools to draw the line on the fuselage etc.
I saw it go to edit but it was too fast to see what to choose and I watched it more than once.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

Hi Chris/Radarman,
I would agree that the video is not the ideal way to display the process - even trying to use the Pause facility doesn't help. I have some knowledge of Adobe and still found it difficult. Just as well I knew what I was doing anyway.
There are other oversights - like you should always print an the image of the a/c you are repainting for easy reference. There is some abiguity in the written instructions too. "eg what does 4. Click either DDID." mean?
Chris knows me well enough to know that I am not nit picking. These suggestions are meant to help Chris in a task that few people would take on - I admire his courage.
As the only response seems to be Radarman's, does this mean that the others are responding by PM - this would defeat the object of an open forum.
All the Best
DaveC

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Thanks Dave, the written directions were good if you follow them slowly but as I said and you agreed the video is a great idea, a lot of work but it doesn't "spell out" the steps for a total newbie.
This is the first try with painting for me and also the first time I've tried to use Adobe for a complex project.

Chris did take on a difficult and in some cases impossible project and I thank him for that.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

Yes - Radarman - Chris has taken a lot on and deserves a medal - I always maintain that repainting is a long drawn out learning curve and is further complicated by the use of Adobe or Jasc photo editors, both complex tools, I have read on the Net, of people being carried away by men in white coats before they are half way through the tutorials!! Both seem to be a case of overkill in the case of repainters. Although I can find my way round Adobe and JASC, as you know I prefer to use Serif PhotoPLus (a UK photo editor) originally a USA software, does Serif USA still do it? It does everything that Adobe and JASC do but is very much simpler to use and costs around $100 but can be had very much cheaper.
http://www.serif.com/
I believe the best 2 repaint tutorials are Gary Hayes' at Posky(in a 60 page PDF format) and the one at Californian Classic Both give an insight to beginners into the mysteries of repainting and are invaluable in introducing newbies to 'shine surfaces'. TGA files, etc, etc.
I had better stop or Chris will be thinking I'm trying to take over - and as I said before I don't have the drive and courage to do what Chris is doing - I hope that all the people that signed up for lessons are giving him their support but it would appear that you and I are the only responses he has had.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This I'm afraid is much more involved as you say than I thought. A 60 page PDF, I wouldn't even start to read it, no patience.
I hope I don't have to quit part way in, I would like to do it but the directions so far are simple and I hope they stay that way.

I never attempted to use the APCD because I saw what was involved.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

Now isn't that a coincidence - APCD - I have, for the past 10 months been trying to produce my home course, Brora G C - so far I have got to the 4th hole!!! Mind you, APCD isn't what I would call user friendly, it will, for no explainable reason wipe out hours of work. Twisted Evil
Here again I bought a tutorial - only 62 pages!! OK if you want to produce a fictitious course but soul destroying if you want to do the real thing. Again I raise my hat to these lads (what I would give for a young agile brain Rolling Eyes ), who produce the very many good APCD courses - I think the new Augusta is out of this world. You can almost smell the azaileas
Cheers!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Sorry about all the confusion.
I haven't been on in a few days. I saw that the video didn't work so well. I also noticed that the tutorial, which I copied/pasted after I typed it in Notepad, didn't fully come out. I'm very busy right now, but when I get a chance, I will remake the tutorial, no videos, and post it in the sticky. I'm sorry I disappointed you all. Embarassed I will work to make the first tutorial V1.1 better. Thanks for being honest with me, so I can work to make the tutorial better. Cheers!

Talk to you soon,
Chris

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Don't apologize, this is new to all of us. There will be more problems from all of us down the line.
Don't rush, no one is in that much of a hurry, we've waited years a few more days for lesson #2 won't matter.

Radar