Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Highest Airport

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Where's the highest airport in the world and is there some scenery for that airport ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Now I have to look and see if MS put it into the sim.

http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/2-10-00askeds.html

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

15,584 feet!!! how do crafts tokeoff? it must have to be a realy long runway.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

Probably set at the edge of a cliff 🙂 so you can just fly off the edge of the mountain. I know that there are dirt fields in southeast asia that are perched on the edge of cliffs and some of them are even on a 20% incline! what a wild ride those would be!! i'll see if i can find any pics.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

But you don't have any ozygen at 15,500 ft.! How do they survive up there? 😕 ❓ Idea

Pro Member First Officer
mrkonk First Officer

oxygen masks.

Pro Member Chief Captain

That has to be what they use then.

Pro Member First Officer
mrkonk First Officer

I would feel like exploding at that altitude.

Pro Member Chief Captain

😂

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

i have been to tibet......i had a mask, but didnt use much. as long as you dont run or move violently, you will be fine, given your cardiovescular system is healthy. the bigger problem is the exposure to xray in this thinner air, better off cover yourself from head to toe or u get burned......

Pro Member Captain

Did you land at the highest Airport ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hell load of flaps I suppose and yes I belive the runway is around 14000 feet long, was longest runway until they built Denver Intl, though this could be wrong. I don't think it is included in the Sim which is very annoying, well at least I couldn't find it. 😞

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

mypilot wrote:

But you don't have any ozygen at 15,500 ft.! How do they survive up there? 😕 ❓ Idea

There have been a number of climbers who have ascended to the top of Mt. Everest (29.035 feet) without using oxygen tanks. 😳 One of these successful attempts was made by Sir Edmund Hillary's son several years ago and shown on the Travel Channel last week.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

michlin wrote:

mypilot wrote:

There have been a number of climbers who have ascended to the top of Mt. Everest (29.035 feet) without using oxygen tanks. 😳 One of these successful attempts was made by Sir Edmund Hillary's son several years ago and shown on the Travel Channel last week.

I wouldn't believe that. There is no way you can survive without oxygen at that altitude for more than 5 minutes. At above 15,000, crew members are REQUIRED to wear oxygen masks about that altitude in an uncompressed airplane. If they aren't, signs can start to show it within 20minutes. There is no way they could survive up to 290 without oxygen for the amount of time they would be up there.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I don't think you need constant oxygen but I'm not too sure. I didn't do too well up a mountain in Switzerland at about 8000 feet (light headed and chest pain) 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

FL050,

It is your prerogative to believe what you want to believe. I have seen a couple of documentaries showing a number of world class mounteers whom possess extraordinary physical abilities, climb the world's tallest peak without the aid of supplemental oxygen.

Read about it:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/everest/history/firstwoo2.html

http://www.mounteverest.net/expguide/wwoz.htm

http://www.jerberyd.com/climbing/messner/everest/

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=1928

Pro Member Trainee
PierreL Trainee

Just on the capacity to DO anything at altitude. Yes some climbers have done it to the top of the Everest w/o oxygen. They were not running for sure, but with training you can adapt, assuming a sound health to begin with.
Personally I have never been above 18000 feet in Nepal on two occasions, but one can go through mountain passes at this altitude if one adapts one's rate of climbing. Natives do it with "ease" with, believe it or not, up to 150 pounds on their back, since these trade "routes" are only for yacks and men at this altitude. Women can carry up to 120Pounds up to 12000 feet.
As a non-native and to adapt by steps one needs to rest at night at an altitude no more than 1200 feet above the previous night. With this one does not risk to catch mountain fever, which is otherwise dangerous.
The main effect of lack of oxygen is lack of brains. There was once a film on TV relating tests made by radio between the base camp and the climbers on the Everest. They had to repeat every night what the base camp was saying. It started with "the milkman brought the newspaper as well" to more involved sentences, changing every day of course. As the altitude went up the incapacitating effect was very noticeable. With part of the sentence missing and the words being exchanged for others in their place to the point of being meaningless.
When flying I experienced that as low as 7000feet, when I had difficulty spotting a series of lakes which usually cause no problem. I knew ground was lower south, so I headed that way and descended until the capacity to map the forest/lakes to the map came back as a flash.
HTH

Pro Member Captain

Do you think it would be possible for someone to get frost bite if they were to be flying at that type of altitude[ flying in a piper cub or cessna] ❓

Pro Member Captain

I'd like to create the world highest airport but I don't know of any good scenery creators [freeware or payware], so could anyone help me find a good scenery creator ❓