Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

cruising altitude

KatherineRout Guest

hi,

I am having problems reaching top speed in the games 747-400 (MSFS2004).

Shortly after take off I engage the autopilot with the speed set to 250knts. Once I reach cruising altitude of around 40,000 ft the aircraft is moving at 350knts as displated on the gps. I gradually increase the autopilots speed setting in 5 knt increments until I am about 295IAS. However, even this only yields about 508knts as shown on the GPS. The plane is fully fuled and prob at its maximum operating weight.

I recently did a flight from London Heathrow to JFK which is about 3,000nm. It took me 8hrs which is about and hour and a half longer than it should take which is why I am concerned about my slow speed.

Can someone please tell me how best to reach cruising speed after take off, and more importantly if 508knts is ok or as I suspect somewhat slow

many thanks

katherine

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

I don't really pay that much attention to speed (KIAS) as I do to Mach in cruise flight.

I takeoff, climb at 250KIAS to 10 000 feet, then lower the nose to accelerate to 340KIAS to cruising alttitude (which is never 40 000 feet in my case, but from 33 000 to 37 000). My cruise speed is always 0.85 Mach, which is I think about 300KIAS. I don't know how much that is on the GPS.

I think I've read somewhere that cruise speed of 747-400 should be 504 knots on the GPS, so I think you have the perfect speed somehow. Just make sure you don't cruise at full power as it would make loose much more fuel than you should.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Yes, you wouldn't expect to be any faster at 295 KIAS at 40000 feet and 508 knots on the GPS!!! That is pretty much maximum speed, have a look at the MACH number and it'll be around 0.85-0.89 which is perfect.

From what I understand, you are climbing from ground level to cruise altitude at 250 KIAS, which is quite slow and not very economical. Once you pass through 10000 feet, you can afford to increase the speed to 300 KIAS to climb faster. You can then switch to MACH when passing through 25000 feet and set it to 0.88 for maximum cruise speed.

Hope that helps 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

For the GPS speed, you must be talking about TAS (True Airspeed), which is your speed in a given airmass. Ground Speed is your speed over the ground, and KIAS is your Knots Indicated Airspeed which is what is read off of your airspeed indicator.

Your Indicated Airspeed won't be very high at that altitude, I would say around 300. But, if your GS and TAS will be high. So, don't really worry about what your Indicated Airspeed says.

Pro Member Trainee
FighterJock Trainee

The reason u go faster at a higher altitude is cuz the air is thiner and u go faster. example at sea level at 60 degress the speed of sound is around 760 mph. at around 40000 it is only 640 or sumtin like that

Pro Member First Officer

FighterJock wrote:

The reason u go faster at a higher altitude is cuz the air is thiner and u go faster. example at sea level at 60 degress the speed of sound is around 760 mph. at around 40000 it is only 640 or sumtin like that

Sort of. Even though you will be going faster because the air is thinner, however, it will not show you going faster on your airspeed indicator. Your TAS and GS will be faster though.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

Does FS9 use jetstream wind patterns aloft? i know that jetstreams can make a really big difference in actual time from point A to point B and if you are doing 508 IAS in a 100kt tail wind then u are effectively flying 608 ground speed even though your IAS will still say 508.

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

I think 99jolegg has it exactly right. Even thinking of fuel economy!! A true pilot's mindset!

KIAS / mach to 0.88. Roger that sir! ..up! ...up! & awayyyy!!Smile

Pro Member First Officer

megafoot wrote:

Does FS9 use jetstream wind patterns aloft? i know that jetstreams can make a really big difference in actual time from point A to point B and if you are doing 508 IAS in a 100kt tail wind then u are effectively flying 608 ground speed even though your IAS will still say 508.

Its hard to say if FS effectively uses the jetstream. Your best bet is to use ActiveSky if you want real weather/winds.