Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

REVERSE

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew Sexton (andrewsexton) Trainee

Hi,

How do I get the 747 to reverse on taxi?

Andrew

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

The down and dirty of it is this: You don't. No plane is meant to be able to back up on it's own power. Some do, however, MD-88's can. It's dangerous because it can suck in junk like cardboard, chickens, late 60's folk bands, and other debris.

You CAN however backup using SHIFT+P, or hit Y, and use the joystick to move the plane around.

Pro Member Trainee

Thanks for that i guessed that hehe.
Just got FS Traffic 2004 its supherb.
Andrew

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's awesome. I've got Ultimate Traffic and i think it's a blast. I've heard of your traffic program before, how's the density?

Pro Member Trainee

Good,

I find it hard to figure out how to taxi properly as I am a real beginner. Is there anyway you can show me remotly.

Thanks

Andrew

Pro Member Chief Captain

Not as of now. I can explain a bit more how to do it well.

Basically, to make it easier, i wouldn't recommend starting in the 747. I can understand you being anxious to fly the big stuff right away though. Try the 737 for a while, or better yet, the Learjet. But, on to taxi.

1. Keep slow, more than 28KIAS on a long and straight taxiway is dangerious

2. Don't exceed 12KIAS during turns, 8 is usually best

3. Use progressive taxi (Bring up ATC, after they give you clearance to taxi, you'll see a option like "Turn on progressive taxi" select taht, and follow the pink line.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I will add one more comment: the maximun taxi speed for most of the aircrafts is 20KIAS. As FEM said, taxiing more than 28KIAS is dangerous. So try not to exceed 20KIAS on straight taxiways.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

one of those cheesy video clips that comes with FS9 shows you how to properly back the plane up. basically you hit [SHIFT]+[P] (dont hold it down, it takes a sec to start moving) then hit [1] to have the tail swing right and [2] to make it go left. when you want to stop backing hit [SHIFT]+[P] again.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Each Aircraft taxis at a similar speed but when it comes to turning they sometimes have different turning speed [e.g The A340-300 turns at 14-11KIAS]

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

those 60's folk bands can really destroy a otherwise good engine, not to mention the odor that keeps on giving for years ! Haha! rob

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

it can depend on weight, the width of the wheel base.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

i am mad cause when i fly the default lear i cant use the thrust reversers to pushbach when i do short hop into little airports.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Like everyone else said you have to use Shift+P. The reverse thrusters are ment to slow the plane down on landing, not reversing it.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Go into your airplane config files and reset the reverse throttle settings. I did. It works.