Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Nautical Mileage Tracking Help

Pro Member Trainee
raceway40 Trainee

I dont know why but the gauge in most aircraft that records ur mileage while just flying around when you dont have a certain destination doesnt work but i log my flights and like to be able to record my nm i flew so can anyone help me out and tell me how i can record my mileage?

What gauge is telling you total nm distance flown? Doesn't GPS just give you the direct distance between two points and doesn't take into account any course deviations for ATC compliance or diversions.

Because of the effect of the wind on ground speed it's difficult to determine how far you have flown.

Without flying to a specific destination or without a flightplan, I suppose you could use the flight planner and plot the course you flew afterwards and get a total distance flown.

Logbooks just record flight time.

Pro Member Trainee
raceway40 Trainee

Like in the cessna's in the top right corner of the panel it says nm------ ktz---- how do i get that to work or just a program to log if for me.

That 'gauge' is giving a readout based on your current distance from the target DME beacon (whichever one you have tuned in) and what speed you are moving towards or away from it. It does not log the nm you have flown and it doesn't tell you how fast you are flying unless you are moving directly towards or away from it.

In fact, it is possible to fly what's called a DME arc when the nm remains constant and the speed reads zero, because you are not moving towards or away from the beacon. You could actually cover a lot of ground miles flying a circular course around a beacon but the readout will show zero speed and the distance (nm) will remain constant.

Plotting your course using a map or flight planner is the only easy way you're going to know how far you have actually flown.

Guest Ed Guest

Never seen any such gauge on any FS09 plane. The device at the upper right of the panel in a Cessna 172 is the DME (Distance Measuring Equipment). That doesn't measure your miles flown, it measures the straight-line distance from your aircraft to a navigational beacon called a VOR/DME. When you're flying towards the VOR, the distance is decreasing, and when you're flying away from it the distance is increasing.

To get it to work (if that is what you're talking about) look on the map and find a VOR/DME within a hundred miles or so, and find what is its radio frequency. Set open the radio stack and enter that frequency into either the NAV 1 or NAV 2 radio (or both), and be sure to click the <--> button to make it active. Close the radio stack, and on the DME display, flip the switch to either N1 or N2, depending on which radio you put the VOR frequency into. IF you are within range of the VOR transmitter (and there are no mountains in the way), you will see the distance to that VOR displayed on the DME.

The only way I can think of to record your miles flown would be to always create a flight plane for each flight, and print it out-- that lists the mileage between waypoints as well as the total distance-- and stick to the flight plan. That won't allow for course deviations or flying traffic patterns, but it will be pretty close.

There's no odometer on an airplane, though.

Ed

Give me the airport you fly from and I'll send you some specific examples of VOR/DME navigation that you can fly and see the results.