Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

The horror of being out of practice

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Heavy Jet guys, make a note of this, it's important to practice, i found that out today!

I decided to take the Continental 767 down to St. Maarten, everything went fine untill final. Good lord, I had no idea how badly out of practice i was with visual approaches! First time, too high, WHEEE! Right over! Second try *SPLUNK*. Third try I jammed the plane into the runway so hard it sank halfway through. I repeated these failing performances around 8 times, finally i got it, but I "floated" a bit too much. Next try was a more usual FEM-has-practice landing, not much smoke, little "Chirp". I figured it's best to quit while I was ahead, so now I'm here.

Oh man, was I PISSED though when i screwed up that many times. I guess I learned the hard way the importance of practice, and LOTS of it!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Uh oh! I havn't flown since Saturday. 😂 Got alot of homework, ancient culture report due Friday, written report, oral report, model, posterboard. Then, on top of that. I play in the Jazz Band on Saturday. I could make a movie out of that I guess...

I'd hate to be a paassenger on your flight! 😂 Be careful, they might want their money back.

Guest Ed Guest

FEM,

Remember in real life, you don't get to practice the crashes-- you usually only get one attempt. 😉

mypilot: Jazz Band? What instrument do you play?

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Guest Ed wrote:

FEM,

Remember in real life, you don't get to practice the crashes-- you usually only get one attempt. 😉

Ed

Tis what the simulator is for Surprised

Visual approaches in the Heavies definantly take practice. Most of the time you just have to follow the VASI.

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Same with me FEM. I do the APP if the weather is good other wise A/P does nearly all of the work and I'm terrible at crosswind landings I end up on the grass or the very edge of the runway 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

FEM,

Ed

I play the trumpet. I am in the only elementry jazz band that gets to play at disneyland. Wish me luck!

My instructor always told me to practice on the simulator until my next lesson. Unfornatuetly, that one moved away to Texas to fly for a cargo airline. He might move back later next year though. I'm dying to get back in the air!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Visual Approaches, huh? Yes, they are hard, really hard. Specially if you haven't use the simulator or practice for a long time. It happened to me once, I think. Too much flare...touching down in the middle of the runway and sometimes in the end. I always try to take the airplane down to the runway without going to the grass. There were times in which I was flying with the 737 and when I was in final approach it was so horrible that I ended up landing in the middle of the runway. I should have gone around, but it is hard. I mean is not hard to go around....it is hard to make all the adjustments, press all the necessary switches and take care of the instruments by yourself. We all need a first officer, I am sure. I always look at my instruments during final approach and I also look outside the airplane to keep the runway in sight. But that's too much. If I stop looking at the controls everything turns a bit bad. The airplane is off center or I'm too low or high. It is hard to fly an airplane by ourselves.

We all have to take into account this saying: "Practice makes perfect" We all know what that means, I believe.
I know that real life gets in the way, especially work and school. Don't expect that I fly every single day, because that's not true. I wish I could, but school is getting in my way. Hopefully, this is my last year in High School.

Anyway, FEM, don't worry about all those problem too much. It happens to all of us. If you practice you can do it. And I'm sure you can. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

mypilot wrote:

Guest Ed wrote:

FEM,

Ed

I play the trumpet. I am in the only elementry jazz band that gets to play at disneyland. Wish me luck!

My instructor always told me to practice on the simulator until my next lesson. Unfornatuetly, that one moved away to Texas to fly for a cargo airline. He might move back later next year though. I'm dying to get back in the air!

That is so cool. My friends and I have a sort of jazz band too. 😀 And guess what, I play the trumpet also. 🍻

Guest Ed Guest

SamIntel wrote:

mypilot wrote:

Guest Ed wrote:

FEM,

Ed

That is so cool. My friends and I have a sort of jazz band too. 😀 And guess what, I play the trumpet also. 🍻

mypilot: Good luck, break a leg, all that good show biz stuff. . .

I'm a bass player, myself (bass guitar, that is). Mostly "classic rock" (god, I hate that name). I started out on baritone horn back in junior high, but there isn't a huge demand for baritone players after high school! 😂

Ed

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I must say that if you have the PSS A340 Pro, it's best to practise visuals every 2 to 3 days and you must also do the odd CatIII landing [It gives you a good idea on how you should be flying] , otherwise you will lose your talent very quickly.