Overshooting Runway

Pro Member Trainee
wullie60 Trainee

After going through the basics i managed to fly my first full flight from Glasgow to Faro, using autopilot for the lull in the middle. 😂 😂

BUt my problem is this. in any jet aircraft i have a habit of overshooting the runway.

this is with the flaps set full on approach, autobraking and the reverse thrust as soon as i land.

am i maybe approaching too fast?

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

I would think you must be approaching too fast. I always slow down loads on approach, and if you are on an actual flight, if you listen on final approach, you can often hear the engines being reduced in power.

Either that, or you are landing too larger plane on too smaller airfield! 😉

Have fun

Micah

spuddi Guest

which aircraft?

what speed?

Pro Member Trainee
wullie60 Trainee

a 737 and i must have came in way too fast. i'll adjust my speed on approach 2nite and see if that helps.

i have also shot the Las Vegas landing in a learjet. so i'm deffo too fast. 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Do you use the ILS? Or do you fly visual approaches? Visual is more difficult to gauge the distance, but try and keep speed nearly at or slightly above the final approach speed, using autothrottle helps, just remember to turn it off

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😞 No ILS at Faro
Your speed should be dropping all the time from 10000ft where you should be at or below 250 and as you ready to deploy flaps you should be at about 220.Landing a 737 at about 150 with full flaps

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

What is your is vertical speed when you decend and do you flare before touchdown ❓

Regarding vertical speed on approach...here is a little tool I used to use when judging vertical speed on an ILS. It should maintain a 3 degree glideslope pretty well.

Take your forward speed multiplied by 5 and that should give you a target verticle speed for the approach.

Example....130 kts X 5 = 650 feet per minute.

Once you get close enough to the airport you can use the papi or vasi approach lighting system to guide your verticle navigation for the approach. If the airport has that approach lighting of course.

As for approach speed, it is highly dependent on aircraft weight. I am not familiar with the 737, but I am sure an empty 737's approach speed will be drastically different than a fully loaded 737. In FS2004, here is what I do if I do not have the speed chart for the aircraft...get yourself set up on the approach with flaps and gear down keep decelerating the aircraft (slowly) until you reach about a 5 degree nose up attitude while on a stable approach. Less speed will give you a greater nose up attitude, higher speed with give you less nose up attitude while maintain a constant flight path. Maintain the 5 degrees nose up while continuing the approach and maintaing your target verticle speed, adjust power as necessary to maintain the verticle speed. Over the numbers, chop the power and add about another maybe up to 5 degrees for the flare just before touch down and you should be in good shape.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

That's all awesome info you've given Guest. I do want to ask, do you ever really flare at 10 degrees? That's like takeoff rotation!

Actually, on final approach the engines start to rev up. By the time you ahve hit Vref, the engines are probably at about 60% N1. During the descent is when the engines are at idle, but to to the drag of the gear and flaps, the engines are at about 60% N1 during the final approach.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...