Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

BAD info.

guest Guest

I have to say, I have just got ms flight 2004.

I am not a microsoft basher, but I only got the 4 discs, and little booklet.

I think its disgusting really, its a great program, but its so hard to get used to, there are hundreds of keys, and its difficult to actually see a list and find out how to do that.

Along with no info on what kind of joystick to use, a little bit of info on navigation that is in reality quite useless, I am having to go to websites to find how to navigate.

Also, its irritating in the flying lessons when Rod ends it early and you cock up, you don't want to keep having to go over it again, a demonstration of how to do things would be very nice, which isn't implemented properly.

I can see many people just giving up totally. the info supplied on a logical sequence to get you going and understand is really dreadful.

Anyone else feel this way?

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I know what you mean. However due to its nature there IS a really steep learning curve. But when you learn the keyboard controls (you can download a list of them from a site somewhere - anyone?) you can get by just fine.

As for joysticks I use a CH Mach 3 which is a very small stick type thing. But many people like to use more realistic yokes and pedals from CH Products (Google them).

Agreed, the lessons can be frustrating, and there are also bugs in them too.

However, download some add-on aircraft and especially some commercial scenery (like Lago's GeoRender or the MegaScenery) and you'll be open-mouthed for days.

Dave

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I already knew how to fly but I thought it would be fun to give the lessons a try. Well I got past my PPL [FS 2004 PPL] but I soon gave up due to pure frustration of having to restart every time I made a small mistake.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Here is the keyboard list, just print it out and you'll find how handy it gets.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/7939/fs2004-keyboard-commands-table/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Its actually not bad at all. Go to the Learning Center and you have tons of information to read of anything you will use.

There is also no need to memorize all the keys. Go into FS and go to your Key Assignments and only put the commands you need to buttons you use the most.

If you would have taken time to get in the game and around the Menus you would find answers to all your problems.

guest wrote:

I have to say, I have just got ms flight 2004.

I am not a microsoft basher, but I only got the 4 discs, and little booklet.

Once you get into it you'll realize that what you paid was a bargain, as FS2004 delivers the world on those 4 CDs. There's about 23,000 airports, plus a host of weather scenarios, realistic seasons, landmarks all over the world, and some pretty cool planes (such as the Extra 300, the Learjet 45, and the Mooney, to name a few). Another plus is the cheap extensibility, as there are tens of thousands of freeware downloads available.

When I started out with FS98, I didn't have a joystick, and couldn't do squat. After adding a stick, the whole experience changed dramatically. With the built-in lessons, King videos, and learning Center, you'll learn the basics in no time, but you will need at least a joystick to have any fun with the product.

Sorry to sound like an advert, but I just think FS2004 is an amazing value.

thanks for the replies, I am not knocking the game, its superb, and I really enjoy it, its just to start off its so difficult, there really is no simple way to find your way around. And the abbreviations a lot of the time are mentioned without you knowing an easy way to identify them, that's bad writing.

Its just the attitude, and I have found that with a few microsoft things...buy the product and no user guide to get you going, they expect you know exactly what to do.

Thanks for the keys, printing them out. Very Happy

I paid uk 15, for the game, but have to buy the book for 10, which makes circa $50 US?

The navigation section really isn't much help, VOR's and Vortecs aren't really explained how to use them properly. But apart from that, its coming together. I can land a lear jet which is nice to fly, but only on visual

What are the previous versions like? fs 2002 and 2000?

Where and how do I start downloading scenery BTw, could do with a little help Smile

thanks guys, Ian

Homo Sapiens Guest

FL050 wrote:

If you would have taken time to get in the game and around the Menus you would find answers to all your problems.

You must learn to pay attention and some humility. Please. Arrow

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/546/charging-for-my-airplanes/

Homo Sapiens

Anonymous wrote:

Where and how do I start downloading scenery BTw, could do with a little help Smile

thanks guys, Ian

You'll enjoy anything with Holger Sandmann's name on it, refer to www.avsim.com for eye candy galore. Another great site for scenery is http://www.freewarescenery.com/fs2004.html, so there's a couple to get you started. Smile

^I hate when I forget my name, lol.

Another one I thought of after pressing "Submit" was (say 'hi' to Heather for me!).

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Homo Sapiens wrote:

FL050 wrote:

You must learn to pay attention and some humility. Please. Arrow

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/546/charging-for-my-airplanes/

Homo Sapiens

What does this have to do with anything?

ok I have just got the guide book, that's better, I am happier now, but should've come with the software.

Getting used to landings, but a few questions if anyone can help, if not I will start a new post.

The nav hold button doesn't follow the course you set in on the nav. window, that follows your gps/laid in course, which is a bit confusing, which is different usually to the runways direction so you can be pointing at the airport, but not at the runway.

how do you use

1/ the nav hold
2/ nav and course windows and course hold
3/ approach hold....what does this do?

to get on aligment for a runway?

and what is a back course?

thanks again, getting easier.