Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

I don't want to see FS2006

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I think with the current FS2004 features and a few flight1 addons, my PC is pretty much to the limit. I dont want to sacrafice my scenery for more fancy stuff. Look at my settings, there are a lot slide bars still in the middle, although all my settings are at ultra high. With more hardware resources I would prefer moving slide bars all the way to the right than having more fancy stuff at the airport.
my PC specs: 3 GHz P4, 1.5 GB 400MHz SDDR, Intel MB, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.......
I still have stuttering frame rate once in a while, and I don't think I can handle 2006 if there is ever one coming soon.....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I don't see why you have stuttering frame rates with that setup. I rarely have stuttering frame rates and I have 512 MB RAM, Nvidia 5200, P 2.66 ❗

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

Maybe because I have a few addons like Ultimate Traffic, USA Roads, FS Water, and FS Sky. I dont think I get get more addons, the machine simply cannot handle.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Probably, I don't really have any intensive addons 😉

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

and I use 1280x1024 32bit display. what average resolution you guys use here?

Pro Member Trainee
tysonone Trainee

Dont know much about computers but this is what i have
intel celeron processor 897 MHz 384 MB of RAM so
that would explain the slow sim righty??

Pro Member Chief Captain

You have low RAM so yes probably.

nottobe I use the same resolution as you

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

so I guess the addons are the PC performance killer. But without using the addons, default FS is kinda boring. Only a few cessnas fly in the sky, only a few dirt roads on the ground, and the water looks like a puddle......

Pro Member Chief Captain

I wouldn't have said that those add ons would decrease performance that much, seeing as you have a very good processor and good RAM and video card. Maybe someone else has some ideas 😉

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

plus this box is set up for the flight simulation ONLY, so nothing else is installed. I cant think of anything else thats interfering the system but the addons.....I hope I can figure out why if the addons aint that much to blame...

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

nottobe

Have you had a look at this site which helps you set the 9800 for FS2004?

When I got this card Radarman sent me this and it has helped alot.

Hope it helps you.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

wow, I run Megascenery, fraps, active camera, surf the web, and have outlook running all at the same time (my normal programs that are open) and i dont ever get any stuttering. When i bought Megascenery they sent me a list of good system tweaks. I'll see if i can find it and send it to ya, its really great fixes for XP (which tries to do too much for too many different types of users, It really needs to be dialed in for what we do)

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

sylvan wrote:

nottobe

Have you had a look at this site which helps you set the 9800 for FS2004?

When I got this card Radarman sent me this and it has helped alot.

Hope it helps you.

Sylvan, I tried what the web page said, but the machine got almost frozen, 2-3 frames per second, I dont think this 180-degree-turn-around would work for me. I will try other ways, thanks......

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

Sorry to here that. Maybe Radarman can help?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Turn down the clouds and traffic. Turn off the water and shadows. Set your AA at 4 not 8 and the AF stays at 16. Don't check the AA box in the sims settings.

You also may have too many programs running in the background.

You have a machine that's twice mine and I don't freeze.

Let us know how you do.

Radar

SoCalRick Guest

So many times I've heard users swear they have a 'clean' system but spyware/adware/malware ends up being the culprit that is munching so many resources. Even with the suggested up-to-date virus scan and two spyware removers, you can still find an errant process by trying yet another cleanup program.

I have a lot of frame-unfriendly FS9 additions and my computer specs are not quite up-to-par with nottobe's, but even with all sliders on max (save for MIP-mapping with I limit to 4 or 5) I do much better.

Something is definitely amiss! 😳

Pro Member Trainee
Pitt Trainee

nottobe wrote:

and I use 1280x1024 32bit display. what average resolution you guys use here?

I use petium 4, 2.8ghz, 120gb hd, 512mb ram radeon 9800 pro cant wait to get fs2006.

Airwolf9090 Guest

you might try here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/ i bet you might have some spyware and some other stuff there you can get the tools and info to make your computer run better thin new 😀 i am always on there as N5638J