Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

is the A380 practical?

Do you think that the A380 was worth it?
Yes!
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
No!
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]

Total Votes : 20

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I'm now wondering if the Airbus A380 is a practical aircraft for airline use. I heard it can only take-off from 2 airports in the whole world! :confused: And if that is true then they expect people to just climb aboard this huge airplane and take from San Francisco to that other airport. Does anyone know what airlines are going to buy this airplane? What do you think? I'm having my doubts. (no offense to anyone)

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Not really, because airports will have to be redesigned to accomodate the aircraft. It would take for ever to load and unload it, and getting you bags at baggage claim would take forever.

Pro Member Chief Captain

SamIntel wrote:

Not really, because airports will have to be redesigned to accomodate the aircraft. It would take for ever to load and unload it, and getting you bags at baggage claim would take forever.

Good points. Another thing, it would probally be expensive for a ticket too because of the operational costs. Does anyone else know of that other airport that the A380 can operate in beside San Fransisco?

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

A380 is designed to operate at many existing facilities that was one of the designers demands. also the seat/mile costs to operate the A380 are lower than any other commercial jet. It is very practical and cost effective. The beancounters love this one. (for certain routes)

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=29

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Megafoot is right. There are far more airports than 2 it can use, and the bigger the aircraft, the lower the seat costs, though I do despise the aircraft personally Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Megafoot and 99jolegg are right.

This is the list of airlines that will use the A380:

Air France
China Southern Airways
Emirates
Etihad
FedEx
ILFC
Korean Air
Lufthansa
Malaysia
Qantas
Qatar Airways
Singapore Airlines
Thai
UPS
Virgin Atlantic

Here, download this file for more information about the A380.
http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=37IQ5ACAR4VPX20XNOZ0J4099Q

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

because it has more wheels on the main gear, so per-square-inch pressure on the runway pavement is even less than that of B747-400. and he take-off/landing distance is a little bit longer than B747. I dont see why its that much different from the existing jumbos......

Pro Member Chief Captain

Its the width of it, some airports are having to widen runways and taxiways, the turning circle will be bigger than the 747 so it might end up not being able to make it around corners without cutting corners Laughing

If only 2 airports can handle it, why did so many airlines place an order for it? The problem is not with the runways, but with the taxiways. They will have to be made stronger and wider so the plane can turn.

Airports already handle thousands of passengers at once, so the A380 wont be much different. Virgin Atlantic plans to only seat about 480, yet Corsair packs 570 in its 743's. Dubai (Hub for Emirates) is going to have over 50 gates that have two jetways.

Is the A380 practical? Yes. Is it practical for everyone? No. The plane will be useful at airports like LHR where slot restrictions make it hard for airlines to increse flights to and from the airport.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Not only 2 airports can handle the A380.
Read the file that I posted and you will see all the airports that can handle the A380.

Pro Member Chief Captain

It was initially thought that it wouldn't be able to go to many airports but it is around 25-30 now I believe.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks for the information. I got that 2 airports thing from this guy at my sister's birthday party yesterday. (that guy worked for boeing by the way)

Pro Member Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

(that guy worked for boeing by the way)

Laughing Nothing like a bit of rivalry

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

SamIntel wrote:

That was all said about the 747 when it 1st came on show

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

mypilot wrote:

SamIntel wrote:

Good points. Another thing, it would probally be expensive for a ticket too because of the operational costs. Does anyone else know of that other airport that the A380 can operate in beside San Fransisco?

The seats will actually be surprising cheap because they are the new GE engines which are designed for much lower operating costs than ever.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I believe it'll be economical in the long run, but I still wonder if it'll go the way of the Concorde? Confused Rolling Eyes

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

No way that it would go the way of the Concorde. The Concorde was very specialized in its role as an elite supersonic puddle jumper. The per seat operating costs were very high, (it was actually a fairly small plane) The fact that It was so limited in the US market due to noise abatement and the maintenance costs for those non-production-line high performance engines, and the fact that the Concorde fleet was small made maintenance/repairs a nightmare. All those factors contributed to Concorde's demise.

The A380 however is multi role out of the box. there are a bunch of different configurations and layouts so that it can run economically in many of the big markets. Its non-supersonic so the US market will be wide open and It has already been pre ordered in a cargo configuration by FedEx and orders from UPS are pending.

Though new, the engines and parts that it uses are production line and will be supported widely by the manufacturers. The maintenance of the A380 is also "by design" cost effective and was just one of the considerations that was taken into account back at the drawing board... Er Sun Sparkstation CAD screen

Love it or hate it- The A380 was designed to be efficient and cost effective from the get-go. I am impressed by the sheer magnitude and innovation and simplicity of creating the thing, even though my opinion of the actual aircraft is a bit mixed.

I believe that the A380 is here to stay.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

megafoot wrote:

... also the seat/mile costs to operate the A380 are lower than any other commercial jet. It is very practical and cost effective. The beancounters love this one. (for certain routes)

And where do the bean counters find their love for this one? If the A380 is filled, or nearly filled to capacity with passengers. With the standard 555 seating capacity, can this be accomplished on most flights? That remains to be seen.