SearchSearch 

You can't tell me that....

Pro Member Trainee
Scott Archbold (Scotteiboi) Trainee

Boeing is going to sit back and watch as the A380 takes off. Does anyone know if they plan to build an aircraft bigger than the 744?

23 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

Scotteiboi wrote:

Boeing is going to sit back and watch as the A380 takes off. Does anyone know if they plan to build an aircraft bigger than the 744?

They do not.

Boeing's approach is to wage war with the 787, as they do not believe the "bigger is better" angle will succeed in the long run.

Pro Member Trainee

I already know about that one. I'm assuming then, that they aren't gonna build bigger. Lol, and I wasn't saying that they were sitting around, I was asking a question. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Yup Rick was saying that they don't believe in building bigger aircraft so no, nothing bigger than the 744, a shame really 😞

Pro Member Trainee

It is a shame.......but the 747 will live on forever, heres why: 747-Access to over 230 airports, A380-Access to 32 airports. O.O

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Scotteiboi wrote:

It is a shame.......but the 747 will live on forever, heres why: 747-Access to over 230 airports, A380-Access to 32 airports. O.O

For now....

The A380 is new, and the 744 is not. The were big problems with the airports when Boeing released the 744.
Now, the airports are enlarging the runways and taxiways to fit with the A380. In more years, you will see that there's going to be a lot more than 32 airports that allows the A380.

EagleBoy Guest

You are probably right, but now is not more years.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

747s are not a famous as they used to be. Since the 777 is cheaper to operate. Alot more airlins are using that. That's what I heard. Not to be negative against the 747. I still like it better than the 777 though.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

744 will begin to get phased out, in the long run like the Concorde, simply because it willl be so inefficient for it to run unless they do a complete overhaul, which is very likely in the future.

The A380 will be mass produced and will begin to serve as many airports as the 744 does now; but of course this is all way in the future.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I agree that the 747 will probably be phased out in years to come. Boeing seems more concerned about investing in the midrange market with the 787 and expects the 777 to cover the long range market. They did just recently sink all that money into building a 777LR, which essentially means it can cover just about any 747 route out there. I hope I get a ride in one before they're gone though!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I think that the 777 will adventually phase out too. It will be out dated because something better comes out. Just like the 747.

Rick Lee Guest

Hi all,

about four days ago I heard on the news that Boeing is threatening Airbus with court action because Airbus has approached the government for subsidies to develop or continue to develop the A350.

From a simmer's point of view I found it interesting to hear that apparently Airbus had decided to push ahead with the development of the A350 to be able to compete with Boeing's yet to be released 787.

Keeping the debate alive 😀

Regards, Rick

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

EagleBoy wrote:

That's true, now is "not more years." Who can argue with that, lol?

Seems to me that there are Boeing fans, Airbus fans, and aviation fans. I am an aviation fan, so I'm interested in the development of all aircraft. Now, I do have a favorite between Boeing and Airbus, but who cares? I mean really?

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

Rick Lee wrote:

Hi all,

about four days ago I heard on the news that Boeing is threatening Airbus with court action because Airbus has approached the government for subsidies to develop or continue to develop the A350.

From a simmer's point of view I found it interesting to hear that apparently Airbus had decided to push ahead with the development of the A350 to be able to compete with Boeing's yet to be released 787.

Keeping the debate alive 😀

Regards, Rick

Now that is the most interesting thing I've read (so far) in this thread. I don't blame Boeing for getting their hackles up...it's just a matter of fairness. Thanks for that news, Rick, I hadn't heard.

Edit: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002292017_subsidies29.html

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

SoCalRick wrote:

EagleBoy wrote:

That's true, now is "not more years." Who can argue with that, lol?

Seems to me that there are Boeing fans, Airbus fans, and aviation fans. I am an aviation fan, so I'm interested in the development of all aircraft. Now, I do have a favorite between Boeing and Airbus, but who cares? I mean really?

I think that you guys misunderstood me. I didn't mean to say now is "more years"

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Drool Man that picture is sweet! ❤️

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

ranald wrote:

Drool Man that picture is sweet! ❤️

I agree--and that photo link above is of the real deal. What's really interesting is that now besides having joysticks, there are also trackballs (see photo below of mock-up cockpit). What's next, a mouse? LOL!

Check out airliners.net for the best pictures. Check out this:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/297683/L/

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

I have already seen that 737 pic but forgot were it was thanks for showing me guest and the pic is going to be my new desktop background 🙂

Ranald,

That pic is already my desktop background. Its a great picture. On the airliners.net homepage, click on Editors Choice. YOu get some amazing pics

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Thanks guest 👍

BashDaBish Guest

Yer great piccie, cheers 👍

How come so many of you are referring to the 747 as the 744? Is it also known as this?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

747-400 is shortened to 744 so it includes the aircraft make and the model, like 743 for 747-300.

BashDaBish Guest

Well I can't argue with that......cheers