Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

which end do i land!!!!!

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Stupid question guys!

But after requesting clearance to land, how do i know what end of the runway to approach from? I dont always have the green scope on gps to tell me as it isn't always there. But i will only ever get clearence to land if i approach from the correct end of the runway!!

Please help this stupid pilot!

Embarassed

Micah Wink

Andy2005 Guest

You shouldn't always land through the 'green scope' on the gps. It's actually called an ils feather but never mind. When told to land at a runway number add 0 to the end of runway number they tell you. This should be the heading for your landing. E.g. if you are cleared to land at runway 7 you should land from the end which will have your heading indicator displaying 070. If the runway number has an l or r after it it means left or right.
Hope this helps. Very Happy
Andy

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

Rolling Eyes

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

When you get clearance to land. The ATC includes something like 'Fly straight in' which means that you are at the right end of the runway. If they say something like 'Make right downwind' or something that means you're probably on the wrong end.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

This is out of one of my aviation books that I am reading. It explains the landing legs. Probally better than I could.

Just click on the picture to make it bigger. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Well, the question has 2 answers. First, do what Andy said, if ATC says something like Runway 36, the heading of the runway is 360 or very close to it. Obviously if they say 36 Right, then there's 2 runways, and you land on the rightmost one.

Next, your "little green scope" is actually nothing more than a marker, called the ILS feather. It does nothing for you except show you where it is. You will need to mess with radios, and other things to actually use it, here's how:

1. When ATC says something liek "WifeBeater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and mantain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockipt. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (thes are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list untill you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. FInd 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the righmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clickin it. Press the button that looks like thsi somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the LearJet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually Heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the directon and atitude of the pink arrows intull they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you wanna use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

I one time forgot to do that on a foggy approach at San Fransisco. BOOM!!! I crashed into that mountain northwest of it. It was in a 767 too.

Guest Ed Guest

KurtPStevens wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Now, be nice, Kurt. We were all beginners once. Wink

Ed

Guest Ed Guest

The other thing to keep in mind about "Which end do I land on?" is this-- if you're coming into an uncontrolled airport (no tower, no ATC, just an "Airport Traffic" channel to announce your intentions), it's up to you to decided which way to come in. Generally, you want to land into the wind, if you have a choice. You can find out which direction the wind is blowing by typing "shift Z" and the wind direction and speed will appear at the top of your screen.

Other than that, listen to that "Airport Traffic" and make sure somebody's not gonna be taking off in the opposite direction you're landing!! I hate it when that happens! Shocked Embarassed

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I remember once when I was on final, this 747-400 was taking it's merry time trying to take off. ATC didnt' tell me to go around, apparantly they thought the 74 would be gone by the time I landed. Oh heck no! As I began to descend to minimums I could hear the friggin plane, and I didn't know where it was, so I figured it was on the runway to the right of me...nope, suddenly there it was, roaring up into my windshield. I didn't hit it, but after it actually took off, ATC DID tell me to go around. Shocked